"Big batch" recipe ideas?

Options
sandsofarabia
sandsofarabia Posts: 95 Member
Does anyone have a favorite recipe that you can make in big bulks and just eat it throughout the week?

Basically, something that tastes fine when your store it for a couple days.

And the less the carbs the better for my meal plan!

Replies

• auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Chili. Find a low-calorie chili recipe with ingredients that suit your tastes and fill it with beans and veggies, make a huge batch, store it. Good for cold weather.

Lots of soups are low calorie, same deal.

Southwest chicken - chicken breast, beans, salsa (or rotel), corn, peppers, onion, garlic, jalapeno, cilantro ... Let it cook (slow cooker or otherwise) and then shred the chicken. Filling and good all week. Freezes well.

This is a cool idea too:
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/carolynkylstra/mason-jar-salads
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I second Chili. Although, be careful eating it too many days in a row (Beans).
  • moodyfeesh14
    moodyfeesh14 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Chicken and rice, creamy chicken and broccoli ranch casserole, if either of those interest you send me a message and I will send the recipes oh and soup I make huge batches of chicken noodle
  • Jaxsonjess
    Jaxsonjess Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I make a pound of turkey burger- bag of mixed veggies- brown rice and some salt pepper and garlic salt. Makes a few meals- Nothing fancy but fills me up and quick to grab
  • ladylexie17
    ladylexie17 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My favorite chili is from http://www.publix.com/aprons-recipes/ground-beef-chili-and-crayon-cakes I have made it without meat and also with an extra can of tomatoes in place of a can of beans (ran out :smile: ). It's quick too. Nutrition info is on recipe site.
  • countrygirl336
    countrygirl336 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to stay away from a lot of carbs, I would suggest a hearty soup. I make a really good turkey soup! Recipe is here (Minus the sour cream): http://www.food.com/recipe/turkey-soup-32399.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I make a 6 egg frittata most weekends and it is good for 4 lunches or 3 dinners. No special recipe -- use pretty much whatever you have in the produce bin -- but you do need to get the temperature right.
  • VincitQuiSeVincit
    VincitQuiSeVincit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I hate beans, but there is an INCREDIBLE paleo chocolate chili recipe that I can eat forever.
    Also, I love making shredded chicken or pork in the crockpot and reporrposing it throughout the week- one day in a salad, another in tacos, a third in Peppers as stuffing. So much variety and no carbs
  • DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I usually make a turkey and/or bean soup with lots of veggies every weekend that gets divided into single serving size containers and then frozen. I use them throughout the week for lunches.

I also keep slow cooker shredded chicken on hand for pizzas, wraps, and salads. I put 3-5 chicken breasts in the slow cooker with what ever seasonings I'm feeling at the time, add a little chicken broth and cook on high for 4 hours. When its done scoop out the meat (its usually falling apart) and shred with two forks on a cutting board. It can be keep in an air tight container in the fridge for a couple days or in a freezer bag and frozen. I usually separate it into a couple bags that hold approximately 2-3 salad servings each.
  • SWBsWifey
    Options
    I finely chop bell peppers and an onion and mix with cooked black beans. The scoop 1/3 cup or so into baggies and freeze. Anytime I want scrambled eggs or a an omelette, they're ready to be tossed in the pan!
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Bolognese sauce, I heat it up and have it with zucchini noodles. Same goes for a taco mixture (lean ground beef, fresh tomato, black beans, corn), eaten with lettuce wraps. Tagines are great big batch food as well (canned tomatoes, diced chicken or chickpeas, zucchini, eggplant, pumpkin, Moroccan spices, dried apricots).
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    bake skinless, boneless chicken breasts, lightly brushed with either olive oil or a bbq sauce, and salted/peppered to taste.

On a back burner, i also set some quinoa to simmer, usually using about 1 tablespoon of bacon grease and a little coarse ground black pepper for flavor. (Quinoa may not be an option for you; it's not low-carb, but it has decent protein and healthy fats and is a good rice/pasta replacement for my tastes).

While that's all cooking, I caramelize chopped onions and tomatoes, then add in some diced or spaghettified zucchini/squash. Sometimes i throw in some diced serrano pepper, maybe some bacon, sometimes i'll have some black beans left over, and toss them in.

I have plastic single-serving, reusable plastic boxes. I'll put the cooked quinoa in, then load up some sauteed veggies, and top with the baked chicken breast.

They freeze well, and it's easy to have a week's worth of food prepped in short order, with enough variety in seasonings and the different sauteed veggies to keep me interested.

be healthy and well!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Things I've made in bulk:

Italian stew (think pasta sauce with tons of veggies and no pasta)
    Beef/venison stew
    Venison Stroganoff
    Crockpot chicken (usually mexican spices and then can do tons of different things with it)
    Buffalo chicken "dip" (I mix it with vegetables and eat with a fork instead of dipping)
    Enchiladas
    Lasagna
    Stuffed bell peppers

Really, just about anything. There are only two of us, so I don't like cooking things every night, so I'll often batch cook and take leftovers for lunch. Lots of what I make freezes easily.
  • jessicasim92
    Options
    I like shakshouka turkey meatballs from sidechef app.
  • Jewf
    Jewf Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Asian Salad With Vietnamese Pork
    http://www.womenshealthmag.com/nutrition/pork-salad

Beef stew
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooker-beef-stew-i/

Really loving this new toy. It does everything a slow cooker does in 8 hours in 1. Super easy clean up. Great for meals you cook one night that last all week.

http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-IP-LUX60-Programmable-1000-Watt/dp/B0073GIN08/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1425485216&sr=8-2&keywords=one+pot+pressure+cooker
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Chili. Always chili. There's a great recipe for turkey chili in Cook This, Not That that is easily scalable to any amount you want.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I ditto the chili. My favourite is a turkey three bean chili.
    Also nice in bulk is Swedish meatballs. Instead of browning in a pan, I lay them out on a baking tray and roast at 350 degrees until browned. At that point I freeze them and use them in all sorts of recipes.
  • agratzy
    agratzy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Pizza soup!!!

2 large family size cans of Tomato Soup
    1 of those cans filled with water
    1 bottle Ragu or whatever spaghetti sauce desired
    1 cup shredded cheese
    1 lb hamburger
    Just a crap load of Lawry's

Brown the hamburger then just put everything together and let it simmer till hot. Makes like 6-8 servings at 355/ calories if you use lean beef. You can cut calories even more by using fat free cheese and the like. I usually add a little feta cheese on top for some panache. I love it and it is incredibly filling!
  • TayzerFun
    TayzerFun Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I made this spicy pumpkin soup recently and it saved well for quite a few days. You could also add a little smoked sausage to it, diced ham or bacon on it as well! The color did change a little bit the first couple days (I'm sure it's because of the pumpkin, but the flavor got better as time went on.) I also used canned pumpkin instead of roasting one myself.... worked great!! http://www.wpr.org/spicy-pumpkin-soup-0
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I make quite a few freezer meals ahead. That way I can vary what I'm eating and not worry about it going bad before I can eat it. I make turkey sausage and vegetable egg patties, apple cinnamon and cranberry steel cut oat meal, poached chicken to add to quick meals, turkey meatloaves (made in a mini loaf pan for individual servings), ground chicken and vegetable burgers, Mexican beef for quick nachos.