"Big batch" recipe ideas?

Options
2»

Replies

• mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Soups, baked casseroles portioned out, and chilli all work well.
  • KatieJean922
    Options
    I like to put a 2.5-3 pound eye round beef in the crock pot at the beginning of the week. The meat can be stored in the fridge all week then heated up and put on a bun or in a tortilla with some avocado and fresh squeezed lime juice. This recipe came out great and was very simple (http://www.amomstake.com/2014/08/crock-pot-shredded-beef-tacos-recipe/) and this one was great, but don't skrimp on the toppings! (http://veryculinary.com/2015/02/03/slow-cooker-salsa-verde-beef-tacos/)
  • inchwormbyinchworm
    inchwormbyinchworm Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I second meatballs. They can be weighed on a kitchen scale for portion control. I took the filling for egg rolls and made meatballs out of them. My kids loved it, and less time consuming and less oily than egg rolls.
  • SarahKhristan
    SarahKhristan Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Crockpot chicken taco meat! I use 6 large breasts, 1 16oz jar (or more) of salsa, and 1 packet of taco seasoning (or make your own). Let it cook until you can shred the chicken.

The chicken is SO GOOOD. I use it for tacos, salads, and chicken tortilla soup. Plus? It's super easy. It doesn't last very long though, because you will want it eat it all up!
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Crockpot chicken taco meat! I use 6 large breasts, 1 16oz jar (or more) of salsa, and 1 packet of taco seasoning (or make your own). Let it cook until you can shred the chicken.

The chicken is SO GOOOD. I use it for tacos, salads, and chicken tortilla soup. Plus? It's super easy. It doesn't last very long though, because you will want it eat it all up!

I just made a variation of this, and about when it was done cooking, decided to make chicken enchiladas.

Wrapped the chicken in corn tortillas, and filled a casserole dish with these. Dumped a can of store-bought enchilada sauce over them, topped em with cheese, and baked em.

They were delicious! At ~200 calories per enchilada, i was able to work two enchiladas served over quinoa seasoned with "mexican rice sauce" into a healthy dinner meal.

Now i need to learn how to make the enchilada sauce and the rice flavoring at home... this will become a new staple.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Chicken enchiladas
    Lasagna
    Pulled Pork
  • xbluehorusx
    xbluehorusx Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Chili, soup/stews, pulled pork, roasted whole chicken and veggie sides, zucchini noodles and pasta sauce with giant meatballs - you can get a lot of meals out of these! I typically make a big batch on Sundays and then eat that every day for lunch during the work week.
  • kaylacarol1989
    kaylacarol1989 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Roasted butternut squash soup! mmm... and 4 bean salad!
  • PennyLope
    Options
    This: (because half my problem is I hate cooking):
    2 cups of lentils-soak in 6 cups of cold water to soften (20 minutes - I don't stress because it will all go into a crock pot and cook all day on low)

celery, carrots, onions, garlic - sauté (but you don't have to-sometimes I just toss everything together)

Pull out your crock pot
    I container of organic veggie broth
    I large can of diced tomatoes
    Strain/rinse the lentils

Throw it all into the crock pot

Season it with whatever you have on hand or like (I usually throw in some cumin and cinnamon, thyme, no salt blend...whatever)

let it simmer all day (or sit in fridge overnight and cook the next day)

Before it is done (half hour) add either: kale, spinach or other greens you might like
    Add some beans (black, fava, turtle) or leave out if you hate them

serve with parmesan on top

Lasts all week.....very yummy

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Seriously, as if you haven't heard enough of it--Chili!!! I make a 3 Bean and Turkey Chili that's 22g carbs (6g fiber), 8g fat, 23g protein per ~1 cup serving. Pinterest will have a billion different recipes for ideas. And chili freezes amazingly well, and always tastes better the older it is.

Another good batch recipe is Buffalo Chicken Soup (tastes like hot wings). You can make this in a slow cooker:
    http://paleoaholic.com/paleo/paleo-buffalo-chicken-soup/

Double or tripe the recipe and feed the whole neighborhood, lol.
  • tererob
    tererob Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • balvis3919
    balvis3919 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i make soups and chili then portion them out and freeze them. i make a big crockpot full and usually get about 12 servings. i make each 1 once a month so i can have soup or chili once a day just about.
  • maria0104
    maria0104 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1940689/beef-and-vegetable-casserole-

This yields tons and is easy to make by throwing in the oven. It makes the softest beef ever by following the cooking time at low temperature (probably adaptable for a slow cooker). I usually just throw in whatever veg I have handy or one of the casserole root vegetable bags from the store.