Insulin Resistance Diet?

Options
13»

Replies

• RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    diabetes does NOT go anywhere... once you have stressed your Pancreas careful monitoring of your diet becomes a lifelong commitment.. and that lifelong "thing" can become pretty short if you ignore your diet or believe diabetes is curable
  • gshillitani
    gshillitani Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I would really recommend that you get a food scale if you don't have one already.

Oh I weigh and measure all of the things I eat. What I meant was the extra steps you have to take to weigh an empty pan, cook the food, re-weigh the pan (which is now hot) and divide the result into X portions as stated by the recipe. I wish the book would just have given serving sizes along with the recipes :)
  • lcbourdo
    lcbourdo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The diagram that @jgnatca posted above is the one that I was recently given by a new nutritionist. It has apparently replaced the standard food pyramid with an eye toward simplicity. Check out choosemyplate.gov.

myplate_blue.jpg

This is an interesting conversation. I have picked up a copy of the Insulin Resistance Diet, and have read the whole thing. As far as I can tell, it is consistent with everything I have heard from my more competent nutritionists over the years. (Not all of them are.) It's just easier to keep track of your eating patterns than measuring and weighing everything all of the time. Balance is the key.

I agree that there are some wacky diet books out there, and that nutrition advice online can be highly dangerous, but you can't knock all dietary approaches just because some of them may be dangerous. In my experience, some nutritionists and diabetes doctors are just as dangerous as the wackiest of wacky diet books. Frankly, I've gotten too much bad advice from authoritative sources -- which is why I'm here. Insulin resistance, morbidly obese, PCOS -- you name it. I'm always defeated before I even get started, or before too long.

Looking forward to being a part of this community, and all of the positivity I've been reading here so far!
  • shortnsassy1981
    shortnsassy1981 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    aggelikik wrote: »
    If you are insuline resistant, do yourself a favour and do not follow random miracle diets you read about. Either talk to your dr and ask for a sample meal plan, or try the American Diabetes association. Here: www.diabetes.org. They have plain and simple instructions on how to change your lifestyle and eating habits and their advice not only is effective, but actually much simpler to follow than most special "diets" you will google about.
    Not really, most of their recipes are geared to lower carbs but most of their diet plans are well over 100g's a day, some as much as 200 on a calorie reduced diet. Nothing wrong with taking a more aggressive stance on carbs, it is a disease after all and reducing carbs to low levels help tremendously and is more effect, especially for women with PCOS as well. You simply fell for the appeal to authority card.

They are giving medical advice, that will help someone deal with their illness, in an effective way that does not require unnecessary sacrifices. As someone who has PCOS and is insuline resistant, I feel far more reassured by following my dr's advice (which is exactly the same as the one in the link I posted by the way), than treating carbs as the devil, or following other advice found on dr google, miracle diets from people sellign books, or following anecdotal stories about what worked for strangers. PCOS and insuline resistance are medical issues, that have been around a long time, and how to deal with them is hardly a mystery to the medical community. Every endocrinologist I have seen the last 20+ years, gave me pretty much the same simple guidelines. And yet there are countless miracle diets and weird cures all over the internet. I wonder which one to trust for a medical problem, the dr or the internet... Tough decision.

Low carb diets are not miracle or fad diets. They've been around for decades because they are successful. There are multiple ways to approach a diet for someone who is insulin resistant. People should research and do what's best for them.