fast metabolism and trying to gain weight

Options

Replies

• Rep4Him
    Rep4Him Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am almost 40 and eat about 4500 calories a day just to maintain my weight. I lift 6 days a week. High metabolism is a good thing man. Just eat lots of protein and lots of good carbs.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    That's a nice looking diary...
  • I don't mean this in a cheeky but its not 'lucky' for some people when people constantly slag you for being skinny its as bad as being called fat, cheers for that cwolfman13 proud of myself and can definitely feel a difference already my appetite is definitely building up more and more haha, will feel better when am around 13st
  • Metruis
    Metruis Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    its as bad as being called fat,
    You have never been fat, and have absolutely no right to make the statement that it's better or worse than anything.

It's different. When you're fat people pretend you're not even there. You have no idea how invisible you become when you're huge. Don't even TRY to say you know what it's like. I can never say what it's like to be a 'too skinny' of guy, and I don't discredit the flak you get... because I believe it... but it is not even close to the same thing. Just because it likely evokes feelings of shame, does not make it the same.

People who sob about skinny shaming have generally never been fat. I'm probably about to lose my job because the business is tanking and I won't even be able to get a job as a waitress because I'm fat... you wouldn't be able to get a job as a mover and so we can empathize... but they are different things. I will never know what it's like to be skinny and unable to gain a pound of muscle. Skinny shaming is bad. So is fat shaming. Any kind of body shaming is bad.

That said, I knew a guy who seriously was constantly eating and never put on a pound. This guy really could eat an entire extra large pizza and an hour later, be working on something new. That, that really does seem like a curse, and if it is like that for you, I'm sorry you have to struggle with it. Best wishes with your bulking. My suggestion is to sneak in more fats into your food... fry your meat up in oils, so on and so forth. "Hidden" calories so you won't feel like you're overeating, but you'll still be getting more. (fistbump)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Metruis wrote: »
    You have never been fat, and have absolutely no right to make the statement that it's better or worse than anything.

It's different. When you're fat people pretend you're not even there. You have no idea how invisible you become when you're huge. Don't even TRY to say you know what it's like. I can never say what it's like to be a 'too skinny' of guy, and I don't discredit the flak you get... because I believe it... but it is not even close to the same thing. Just because it likely evokes feelings of shame, does not make it the same.

People who sob about skinny shaming have generally never been fat. I'm probably about to lose my job because the business is tanking and I won't even be able to get a job as a waitress because I'm fat... you wouldn't be able to get a job as a mover and so we can empathize... but they are different things. I will never know what it's like to be skinny and unable to gain a pound of muscle. Skinny shaming is bad. So is fat shaming. Any kind of body shaming is bad.

That said, I knew a guy who seriously was constantly eating and never put on a pound. This guy really could eat an entire extra large pizza and an hour later, be working on something new. That, that really does seem like a curse, and if it is like that for you, I'm sorry you have to struggle with it. Best wishes with your bulking. My suggestion is to sneak in more fats into your food... fry your meat up in oils, so on and so forth. "Hidden" calories so you won't feel like you're overeating, but you'll still be getting more. (fistbump)
    Um, way to contribute to this thread. I'd suggest just staying out of the gaining weight forum in general...
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options

This is a borderline attack post. OP is struggling with self-image, and you are projecting your own issues into this thread. I have been skinny and fat, and I can say that my self-image was much more negative when I was skinny.
    OP, just keep increasing calories, and you will get there eventually. In my early 20s, I thought I would never be able to put on weight, but I finally started to gain when I got up to about 6000 calories/day. It was really difficult at first, but eventually my appetite adjusted and it got a little easier.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Get out.

You don't know- and you don't get to cry "oh it's so much worse to be me- you don't know"

You have NO RIGHT to invalidate someone else's feelings because YOU have you're own set of issues.

He's here getting help.
    You can get help to- the process is the exact same- instead you just come in here attacking someone else when you should be more focused on your weight loss- rather than I'm getting fired because I'm fat.

Tough titties- there's a way to fix it- stop trying to play "my problems are worse"
  • JoRocka
    Options
    now.

OP.

Everyone else has been spot on- the unfortunate reality is you need to eat more- and sounds like you're on the right path- just MOAR.

Much like people who are losing weight maximize calories by going for things that are low calorie and highly filling- you have to go the opposite way- high calorie low filling.

Liquid calories are great for this. I find ice cream and oreos my go to when I'm bulking. Seriously- just gotta find a way to get it in there without filling yourself up with volume.

Beer? go for it.
    milk? YES!

but obviously not at the same time- that's gross.
  • beadlejamie4
    Options
    JoRocka ,

Ice cream , really ?
  • auddii
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    now.

OP.

Everyone else has been spot on- the unfortunate reality is you need to eat more- and sounds like you're on the right path- just MOAR.

Much like people who are losing weight maximize calories by going for things that are low calorie and highly filling- you have to go the opposite way- high calorie low filling.

Liquid calories are great for this. I find ice cream and oreos my go to when I'm bulking. Seriously- just gotta find a way to get it in there without filling yourself up with volume.

Beer? go for it.
    milk? YES!

Milk stout for the win!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

I've been both. It's the same.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    JoRocka ,

Ice cream , really ?

Yes, really.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    JoRocka ,

Ice cream , really ?

gurl please

last day of my bulk- almost 900 calories of delicious awesomeness
    20140331_231513_zps45dafe3e.jpg

also this

because why not
    20150220_212222_zpsh7qbcesb.jpg
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    JoRocka ,

Ice cream , really ?

Yes really
    you have to go the opposite way- high calorie low filling.

Ice cream fits that definition.

Unless of course, you don't like ice cream, but then I'd have my doubts that you're human.
  • aidancuthbertson1993
    Options
    Firstly guys I would like to thank all of you who just took my side their it was much appreciated I had intended to reply but I figured that this was an app to help people not a facebook to argue with people so just left it but JoRocka your response was just flawless haha, secondly I would also like to thank you all for taking time to help me you's are all really nice people and so supportive wish I had you all as gym buddies haha, and as for the beer and ice cream..hell f***in yeahh haha!!
  • aidancuthbertson1993
    Options
    Oh and just a quick update to you all whether the scales are broke or that I weighed myself this morning and I have gained 11Ibs in just a week!!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    You're welcome. :D happy to spread the ice cream love around here.

I'm cutting right now- so no 1000 calorie bowls of ice cream for me :( just tiny 68 gram servings of them- but whatever- I'll still take it.

11 pounds- probably a combination of eating and salt/water retention.

Stay the course- if should level out- if you go up drastically in another week- it's too much food.

Remember- weight gain- exactly like weight loss is not linear- you will go- up- and down- and it's the general TREND line that's important.

make friends with your scale and if you don't have a tape measure- get one.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    now.

OP.

Beer? go for it.
    milk? YES!

Milk stout for the win!

I just learned that cream bruele ?? stout is a thing.

Apparently it's delicious- and almost impossible to drink an entire 22 oz of it (all 400+ calories LOL)
  • auddii
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    now.

OP.

Beer? go for it.
    milk? YES!

Milk stout for the win!

I just learned that cream bruele ?? stout is a thing.

Apparently it's delicious- and almost impossible to drink an entire 22 oz of it (all 400+ calories LOL)

Ooh, I just had it again on Saturday (along with a quadruple... at lunch. I was feeling good. And it's awesome. If you ever get a chance to try Well's sticky toffee pudding (I can't remember the style of beer it's supposed to be) but it's horrible and artificial tasting. The Brits should stick to what they know...