Calories Needed to Maintain Depressing

I am a small (5' 3", 116 pounds) older (48 yrs. old) woman who is quite active. When I look at how many calories I need to maintain, I get very depressed. MFP gives me 1,460 on days I don't exercise, and being small, I don't burn a huge amout of calories through exercise. I'm about to transition to maintainance, and I feel very discouraged when I look at the number of calories I'll need to maintain. Has anyone else had this experience, and if so, how do you maintain your weight?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    what did you put for your activity level?
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    If it helps, I found MFP underestimated my maintenance calories. There's trial and error involved. I'm set at lightly active and still seem to burn more than they assume. And I'm a writer--the ultimate desk job.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    You may find that your maintenance is higher than MFP predicts. My advice is to slowly raise your calories until you start gaining (not water weight. Actually gaining). You might be pleasantly surprised.
  • kcd1961
    kcd1961 Posts: 126 Member
    Alternately you could look at the 5:2 approach (or even 6:1) and this will give you more calories on normal days in exchange for a low calorie day or two. If you find it depressing, then that seems to indicate that there is some mental and emotional work to do. Are you able to get some support with that?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    how long have you been dieting for??
  • Jubee13
    Jubee13 Posts: 132 Member
    edited February 2015
    I set my activity level at sedentary. I am a teacher, so I am lightly active on the days I work. Not so much on the weekends, other than structured exercise.
    I have been dieting on and off for quite a while. I lose and gain the same 10 pounds over and over, and that's why I decided to join MFP. I thought tracking would help me maintain better.
    I'm not depressed although I did use that word. I guess it would be more accurate to say I'm worried it will be difficult to maintain on so few calories long-term.
    What is the 5:2 approach? How do you figure how many calories to eat on the different days? That sounds like it would be easier for me. Some days I don't eat a lot, and some days I feel like I'm starving!
  • ndj1979
    so are you at maintenance or are you still trying to lose…??
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    I'm a teacher too. 5'4". My maintenance calories look like they'll be well under 2000 calories and it's been kind of hard for me to think about. And yes, I get a little sad about it as well. I want to eat! Well I want to eat at least 2000 calories a day to maintain but it might not be in my cards.

1450 does seem a little low. Have you calculated your TDEE on any calculators?
  • ndj1979
    arditarose wrote: »
    I'm a teacher too. 5'4". My maintenance calories look like they'll be well under 2000 calories and it's been kind of hard for me to think about. And yes, I get a little sad about it as well. I want to eat! Well I want to eat at least 2000 calories a day to maintain but it might not be in my cards.

^ how long have you been dieting for?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Jubee13 wrote: »
    I set my activity level at sedentary. I am a teacher, so I am lightly active on the days I work. Not so much on the weekends, other than structured exercise.
    I have been dieting on and off for quite a while. I lose and gain the same 10 pounds over and over, and that's why I decided to join MFP. I thought tracking would help me maintain better.
    I'm not depressed although I did use that word. I guess it would be more accurate to say I'm worried it will be difficult to maintain on so few calories long-term.
    What is the 5:2 approach? How do you figure how many calories to eat on the different days? That sounds like it would be easier for me. Some days I don't eat a lot, and some days I feel like I'm starving!

Idk what teaching is like for you, but I was a teacher for 4 years and I was much more than lightly active.
  • arditarose
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Since June! :)
  • ndj1979

how close are you to goal weight?
  • arditarose

6 pounds
  • ndj1979
    edited February 2015

6 pounds

something to consider…if you have not already..you may want to go to .5 per week loss ..sometimes when you increase calories it will bump up your maintenance level..

long term dieting, usually a year or more, can lead to metabolic adaptation and it is natural for your maintenance level to come down with decreased weight…

sorry OP I semi hi jacked your thread…but I was going to suggest that you slowly reverse diet out of your cut and add 100 calories a week ….you may even want to go over maintenance because of the reasons that I mentioned with long term dieting...
  • arditarose

6 pounds

something to consider…if you have not already..you may want to go to .5 per week loss ..sometimes when you increase calories it will bump up your maintenance level..

long term dieting, usually a year or more, can lead to metabolic adaptation and it is natural for your maintenance level to come down with decreased weight…

Oh yeah, I've been at .5 pounds a week for months now. Probably since September. Honestly I'd be happy with a pound a month. No way I'm messing with a pound a week anymore.
  • ndj1979

6 pounds

Oh yeah, I've been at .5 pounds a week for months now. Probably since September. Honestly I'd be happy with a pound a month. No way I'm messing with a pound a week anymore.

LOL OK you beat me to it…

OK - my second idea would be for you to do a bulk when you get to your goal weight…or eat slightly over maintenance 100 cals? and do a slow recomp ...
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I've been doing this for several years. The single most important thing I've learned is from reading my diary. There are things that used to take up a lot of calories in my day that I didn't care that much about - big glasses of milk, bread on sandwiches, cheese. I dropped those and I suddenly had an extra 700 calories. I drink small glasses of milk. I use 60 calorie tortillas instead of 180 calories of bread. I rarely eat noodles and split potatoes with my husband.

That means I get to eat ice cream every night (1/4 cup). I just ate some yummy cake. I had a delicious pot roast for dinner with squash and cabbage. I feel very full.

So what I suggest is two things. 1) Read your diary and drop food that has a lot of calories you don't care about and substitute more of the foods you love and make you happy. 2) Spend $39 on a fitbit zip to log your steps. Set to sedentary and see if you're walking more than you think you are.
  • arditarose

6 pounds

LOL OK you beat me to it…

OK - my second idea would be for you to do a bulk when you get to your goal weight…or eat slightly over maintenance 100 cals? and do a slow recomp ...

I considered a recomp the other week and got all ready for it, started eating about maintenance, but just don't know if I have the patience for it. I think I'm around 20 % body fat, and I don't really NEED to see the scale go down. I'm not ready for a bulk either. I don't know. My deficit is minimal at the moment. If I don't lose anything again this month I might give the recomp another try.
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 286 Member
    FYI: The major components of energy expenditure:
    60%-75% = Resting energy expenditure ( Physiological functions )
    15%-30% = Physical activity ( Fuel for activity )
    0% - 10% = Thermic effect of food. ( Process the food we eat )
  • Jubee13
    Jubee13 Posts: 132 Member
    so are you at maintenance or are you still trying to lose…??

I'm trying to lose a few more pounds. I'm happiest at 112 or 113.