Walking

Options
Hi. I just want to know if anyone has seen progress in weightloss with just walking. I am a new mom and cant go to gym or running. The best I can do besides exercise dvd's is walking. I would like to know if this is any effective.

Replies

• Tubbytucka
    Tubbytucka Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I lost a lot of fat by eating less and walking a lot - I ended up walking 1-2 hours a day, although I am lucky as I didn't have a lot of other commitments and could spare the time. It's an easy activity to do as you don't need any special gear - maybe comfortable shoes - and even half an hour a day will be beneficial, and certainly better than sitting down watching tv.

I have found weight loss is 70-80% diet, and the rest exercise - although there are other health benefits such as improved circulation, lower blood pressure etc, but I think the best thing is the fresh air and de-stress, especially if you can walk somewhere nice. It's easy if you can incorporate it into your daily routine, like a trip to the shop for milk, or walk to a friends house/with a friend. I often listen to music or a language course when I'm out walking. Give it a go, you have nothing to lose but fat!
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hi. I just want to know if anyone has seen progress in weightloss with just walking. I am a new mom and cant go to gym or running. The best I can do besides exercise dvd's is walking. I would like to know if this is any effective.

you can totally lose weight walking. After I had my little boy that's all I did exercise wise as I was alone with a baby all day. I used to take him out in the pram and walk for a couple of hours or more and round where I live it's really hilly as well so I lost a lot of weight and also gained a lot of muscle definition in my legs.
  • louloulou
    louloulou Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Yep totally. I lost a ton of baby weight after both my pregnancies by just walking and eating a reasonably healthy balanced diet.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    HELL YEAH! GET GOING!
  • chadraeder3
    chadraeder3 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    When I began my weight loss in February the only exercise I did was walking, and calorie counting/ portion control. I lost 15 pounds that way. Now that it has warmed up I am doing more work outside on the family farm which is assisting me with my exercise but I really don't count it as exercise. Even after losing 40 lbs I am still obese so no risk of me going in to starvation which is why I do not count it as exercise. The only other exercise I do count is dancing which is rare when I go to see bands at a bar but I use those calories for the couple drinks I have while I am at the bar.

Walking is good exercise make sure you are doing a good pace, a leisurely stroll is not "walking" in my eyes when I worked at boyscout summer camp we called it "walking with a purpose"

One other thing I would suggest is to throw a little weight training in. Dumbbells are cheap or you could even use something you have in the house already like large can goods. Building some muscle will help you burn calories more efficiently, I want to build my arms up but light weights will be good to build muscles but not bulk up. With summer coming up yard sales are starting up you can pick up exercise equipment cheap cheap cheap.
  • super_J73
    super_J73 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I lost the first 40 pounds just by walking/brisk walking. I also bought 30 day shred DVD.
  • z4dow
    z4dow Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Lost 34 lbs in 4 months -from February- with walking and logging my food.
    Eat healthy, burn more than you eat and keep walking.
    Do it, you have nothing to lose but fat! :)
  • top_kat
    top_kat Posts: 2
    Options
    walking is great! If you aim to be doing 10,000 steps a day, well worth investing in a great pedometer, but I walk so much more now than I ever did and I know that its helped me lose what I have - during my 9 months I've lost 122lb and although I gym and swim, I now walk at least an hour every day in addition.
  • Siobhanj77
    Siobhanj77 Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Do you eat the calories earned by walking?
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    most of your weight loss progress will come from changes in your diet. if you eat the right number of calories, you can sit on the couch watching TV and you will lose weight. Of course, exercise is good for us and healthy for lots of things other than weight loss, and it does aid in the process so do what you can. I walk and hike as the majority of my physical activity.

eta: if you are going to walk, pick up the pace; strolling happily along taking in the view isn't nearly as effective as walking at a pace that gets your blood flowin'.
  • georgetf
    georgetf Posts: 4
    Options
    Lost 10 pounds by staying in calorie range and walking!!!! So excited! I don't feel like I'm dieting because I stay in my calorie range. So there's no 'cheating' because If I want something bad enough I'll save my calories for it.
  • katcunock
    katcunock Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    totally. 90% of my exercise is based on walking. You just need to move more than you eat, and walking is great for that. It varies based on weight height etc, but walking a mile burns around a hundred calories.
  • georgetf
    georgetf Posts: 4
    Options
    :happy:
    Lost 10 pounds by staying in calorie range and walking!!!! So excited! I don't feel like I'm dieting because I stay in my calorie range. So there's no 'cheating' because If I want something bad enough I'll save my calories for it.
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Lost 200 pounds and just do walking. Most I have done in one week is 35 miles.
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    This is such an encouraging thread!!

thanks!
  • z4dow
    z4dow Posts: 43 Member
    Options

Do you eat the calories earned by walking?
    I'm 47, 5' 2". My bmr when i start my journey was 1350 cals (now is ...1205) and i was completely sedentary. I start walking because i want to eat at least 1200 cal and also have a decent deficit. So i didn't eat those calories until now.
    I don't walk for the deficit anymore but because i like it and i like to eat more food or an ice cream or drink a cold beer after the walk.
  • Vickymomof6
    Vickymomof6 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes, You can. Go to Youtube and type in Leslie Sansone. Start with the 1 mile and then work your way up. You don't even have to leave the house.

Walk, walk, walk!

Start here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df2gn6-w0dE
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I use the leslie sansone 5 mile walk and its 12min miles so its quite fast and makes me sweaty and tired after mile 2-3. Im aiming for 4-5 days a week now. I used to do 3 days a week and eat 1600cals and lose 1.5lbs a week.
  • beachbumdoug
    beachbumdoug Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Yes you can, i lost 30 pounds by walking and doing the dvd's.. now i crashed and gained some of it it back, but i am starting to walk again so it will come off.I also have no time for the gym and usually walk at night after the kids go to bed.
  • WaimanaloMan
    WaimanaloMan Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    It's totally possible to lose weight by walking. I walk very often, sometimes I walk around 30+ miles a week. If you keep your speed relatively fast, you won't have to walk for ages to obtain a decent calorie burn. Walking up hills or any incline is also pretty good. If you have a heart rate monitor you can see clearly that it works. Good luck!