Walking

Options

Replies

• primpixie
    primpixie Posts: 39
    Options
    Of course you can. It is the most simpliest, ever-ready form of exercise and it is all I cam manage on a good day. It is very beneficial to your heart/lungs/de-stress etc and will keep baby and you happy - fresh air = good nigght's sleep.
    Along with a diet packed with fruit, veg and lean meat and you'll be dazzling in a few months!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    As someone above mentioned, weight loss is about improving your diet and lowering calorie intake while exercise is for good health/fitness. Of course it helps with lowering the calorie intake since you burn calories but as you may have heard, you can't out exercise a bad diet.

Walking is excellent for fitness! The impact helps with bone density and if you swing those arms and really pick up the pace and walk up hills, you get great cardio benefits and really burn those calories!
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I have lost ten pound in two months just walking. I walk at a medium pace for about 3 hours/15K every day. I am also eating at a calorie deficit.
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    That is my only exercise and it has worked for me. As for the advice about how far or what pace, my thought is a few steps is better than none and a slow pace is better than no pace.
  • crazyten
    crazyten Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    That is my only exercise and it has worked for me. As for the advice about how far or what pace, my thought is a few steps is better than none and a slow pace is better than no pace.

So much loss from walking only? Kudos to you!
    I am glad to report I clocked 14483 steps, 7.24 km! I managed to push myself through your encouraging words.
    Thank you so much.
    I really have no excuse for not shedding those kilos.
  • inchez20
    inchez20 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Definitely, walking is a great place to start. I started walking about 3 weeks ago in addition to watching what I eat and drinking plenty of water and I have lost 8lbs. A few mornings ago I have up the pace to jogging. So yeah, there are benefits to walking. Good Luck.
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Add a little here. As someone else suggested get a pedometer if you haven't allready. That really encourages when you see how and how many calories you burned. thanks for you kind words.:flowerforyou:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Yes, You can. Go to Youtube and type in Leslie Sansone. Start with the 1 mile and then work your way up. You don't even have to leave the house.

Walk, walk, walk!

Start here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df2gn6-w0dE

I agree, this gets me moving. If I walk outside then I just stroll and get distracted, etc. And doing this in the house, then there are no excuses like it's too hot out or too cold out, or whatever. Personally my favorite is the 2 mile walk, I can get that in, shower and be out of the house in under an hour.
  • crazyten
    crazyten Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yes, You can. Go to Youtube and type in Leslie Sansone. Start with the 1 mile and then work your way up. You don't even have to leave the house.

Walk, walk, walk!

Start here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df2gn6-w0dE

I agree, this gets me moving. If I walk outside then I just stroll and get distracted, etc. And doing this in the house, then there are no excuses like it's too hot out or too cold out, or whatever. Personally my favorite is the 2 mile walk, I can get that in, shower and be out of the house in under an hour.

Wow. Just downloaded the Leslie 5 mile fat burn video. I am sold. This will be my workout from tomorrow.
    Thank you soooo much for opening me up to these options.
  • mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Walking does work. It is a great place to start and anyone can do it!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Yep, most of my weight loss came from walking, I also do weight lifting.
  • U_fancy
    U_fancy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    YES!!! Walking is huge and the more you do it the better it gets. You may start out slow but then gain the ability to go longer or faster. Try to push yourself to walk fast to keep your heart rate up. I have a friend who lost 70 pounds by tracking calories and walking every night for a few hours on the treadmill. He started slow but then added on miles and eventually added incline to his workouts.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Yep! I don't think of exercise as causing weight loss anymore, at least not significant. Exercise is for FITNESS. Your day-to-day diet is what determines weight loss.They aren't kidding when they say "abs are made in the kitchen." So get moving for increased health and wellness and couple that with appropriate food choices for your own body.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    walking is the most popular exercise in the country.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Walking is GREAT! I started walking a 1 mile in 20-25 minutes about 10-12 weeks ago. I have walked consistently and am now up to 3 miles @ a 16:00 pace, both morning and evening, and am working on pushing it to 4 miles! I love it and I have lost 25lbs, 5 inches off my hips and 3 inches from my thighs.
  • joyous504
    joyous504 Posts: 72
    Options
    I have lost 70 lbs just by walking. At first it was short and slow distances - 215 lbs will only allow that. I started going a little faster every day, then a little farther, then farther and faster. I started carrying a camelback filled with water. I park at the farthest spot from the door. I now walk 7-10 miles at a 13:00 to 14:30 pace. Everytime I go out, I compete with myself and, unbeknownst to them, other walkers out there. I bought a FitBit and it was THE BEST motivation to get up and move. I use the "calories in vs calories out" option on the FitBit website and it has worked wonders for me. I am sheer proof that you don't need to join a gym or be a runner to lose weight. All you gotta do is get off your butt and walk. Good luck on your journey!
  • Thinnyminime
    Thinnyminime Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Joined MFP in April to "change my lifestyle". Success!!! I have lost 15 pounds by logging my food and walking! I also play Just Dance on the Wii and occasionally go swimming but the majority of my burn comes from walking. It is so nice to know that I can enjoy the outdoors and burn calories too.
  • bgrier7
    bgrier7 Posts: 2
    Options
    You can go on youtube and get the walking with Leslie Sansone for free... I have been doing that for 2 months now and lost 16 lbs. She has a 1 mile, 2 mile, 3 mile and 5 mile video.... Really easy to do and I do it everyday while my little guy is taking his nap.
  • Bretto
    Bretto Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Walking is great! You can even make it into an interval workout by pushing hard for a few min to increase your heart rate and then slowing your heart rate back down. Intervals and hills will help increase your metabolism so your body will continue to burn calories throughout the day. Good Luck and get walking!
  • mthompsontx
    Options
    The only exercise I have done so far is walking, I've lost 64 pounds since Thanksgiving