TOM approaching....

Options
So, I'm wanting to do an experiment and see how LITTLE weight I can gain during TOM. At the moment, all I can think to do is manage my sodium intake very closely - I LOVE salt and have low blood pressure, so typcially have a lot of kosher salt in my diet.

Any other strategies you think I should try? - I know the gain is bloat, but it still feels terrible!

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Meh!

Bloating is hormonally driven, how is you trying to outrace it with fat loss going to help
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Grin & bear it. And compare your weight now to your weight 30 days ago so it doesn't drive you crazy.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    it's not about my being uncomfortable with the number on the scale, it's about being uncomfortable in my pants because the bloat is so uncomfortable. Please only respond if you can help me with my question, not with comments about other things you think i should focus on, or are misunderstanding about my focus.

So - not about fat loss; also not about the scale. About being uncomfortable because of bloat
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Stretchy pants? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Seriously - maybe try to drink extra water, pay attention to foods that tend to cause bloat and avoid them during this time.

As a previous poster said, much of it is hormone driven, so there's only so much you can do.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why? It's not real weight gain, so who cares?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I've given up on bloating. I'm always bloated. If I need to get into a LBD for something, I know how to fix her up a bit-otherwise, salt...mmm.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Why? It's not real weight gain, so who cares?

This. During tom I'm more worried about being exhausted, cramps, and wanting to eat all of the chocolate than I am about hormonal weight fluctuations .
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Mirena. No more Tom. #byeTom #NeverLookedBack
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Ellaskat wrote: »
    it's not about my being uncomfortable with the number on the scale, it's about being uncomfortable in my pants because the bloat is so uncomfortable. Please only respond if you can help me with my question, not with comments about other things you think i should focus on, or are misunderstanding about my focus.

So - not about fat loss; also not about the scale. About being uncomfortable because of bloat

So to translate your OP... how can I stop bloating around my period?

You can't, it's hormonally driven, sorry. You can try drinking more, moving more, you can try water pills but basically you just have to live through it so avoid tight uncomfortable pants.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Okay, I have a question about this. I'm on pill, and my gyn has me on three month periods (so I skip the active pill for two packs in a row). I STILL get PMS symptoms - does the IUD prevent those? I'm so miserable.

Sorry to highjack, OP!
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I actually lost this month. I expect it in two days and i weighed in 3 pounds less than last week!
  • Alicue21
    Alicue21 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If this post is really all about the bloat and wanting to not be bloated, then take cranberry pills. You'll drop that water weight for sure.
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options

Okay, I have a question about this. I'm on pill, and my gyn has me on three month periods (so I skip the active pill for two packs in a row). I STILL get PMS symptoms - does the IUD prevent those? I'm so miserable.

Sorry to highjack, OP!

I know this wasn't directed at me but I'll stick my oar in anyway!

DON'T DO IT!!!! I am a very calm and collected person. Once I had the Mirena put in I was a crazy woman sent from hell. I had nausea, extreme bloating, mood swings...and I mean serious mood swings, from hating my poor husband to crying because I felt so so low (sometimes within seconds of each extreme). Had it taken out and harmony was restored. My husband said he was so relieved to have the old me back again. My sister had a similiar experience.
    Ohh and it made me bleed for 2 weeks every 2 weeks for 6months (sorry tmi I know but I had to warn you)

Now I'm sorry for hijacking too xx
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Sorry to highjack, OP!

DON'T DO IT!!!! I am a very calm and collected person. Once I had the Mirena put in I was a crazy woman sent from hell. I had nausea, extreme bloating, mood swings...and I mean serious mood swings, from hating my poor husband to crying because I felt so so low (sometimes within seconds of each extreme). Had it taken out and harmony was restored. My husband said he was so relieved to have the old me back again. My sister had a similiar experience.
    Ohh and it made me bleed for 2 weeks every 2 weeks for 6months (sorry tmi I know but I had to warn you)

That pretty much explains my PMS as it is now. Legit crazypants.

Okay, on to other solutions - thanks a bunch for your input! <3
  • RainyDaysAgain
    RainyDaysAgain Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My last doctor told me to eliminate caffeine and salt, and drink extra water for the week preceding TOM . I didn't consider that do-able, so I can't say if it worked.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Get some nice drawstring pants and a couple of loose shirts.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Nice drawstring pants?

Definition of an oxymoron ;)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Nice drawstring pants?

lol
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options

Sorry to highjack, OP!

I just had the pleasant experience of no more periods. I spotted for a few weeks the first time. The second Mirena was easier...spotted for maybe 4 days, then nothing. You still get some cyclical symptoms. I get some hormonal acne but no bloating or cramps or PMS.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Nice drawstring pants?

Challenge accepted
    f14_05_006_47181_2819_on_f.jpg

083e99933ada123bb160d8a180f6d3b6.jpg

cef835e730cd1743095bbfa7447fbca4.jpg

1608067800_2_1_1.jpg?timestamp=1402076154303