March 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    cooter_mom wrote: »
    The treadmill has officially been ruined for me, it was so bloody windy the other day, I had to get on it.....IT WAS AWFUL! I blame all of you for making outside seem so awesome....and dammit, you were right. I see a future of winter running gear for this chick.

exercise.png

fur real- I much prefer the outside- something about the fresh crisp air is awesome- even if it's a little cold.

It doesn't take that much extra gear to get you to a point where you can run down to about 20*. And a vest. I can't stress enough getting real retro-reflective/hi-vis gear if you're anywhere near dusk/dawn/dark.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    4leighbee wrote: »

I have this happen occasionally- I have to cross the deli by my house- which sees quiet a bit of traffic- I have banged on the hood of more than one car in my life.

@jorocka I had to go look at your profile, I KNEW you were a Jersey Girl! When cars get too close I bang on the side of them and flip them off LOL I'm transplanted from the Jersey Shore to the South.

@skippygirlsmom‌ BAW HA HA HA
    I'm not a native- but sure as *kitten* fit real well in here!!!

I grew in CA- and I ran a lot there- and for some reason banging on the hood of a car when it's about to pull out in front of you is a straight natural reaction for me... but holy hell YES_ I'm pretty sure I'm officially Jersey Girl material LOL

How was that transition to the south- bet that was a little rough!!!

From southern Virginia here. Pretty sure I would pull over and cry if someone smacked my hood and flicked me off. :blush:

LOL- I went to school in VA- most of the people there were just old and didn't care or couldn't see- so a loud jolt was needed.

But that's an easy solution- look before you go and then no one will smack your car. LOL... :) we typically don't flick off random people for no reason- although- when I went to VA Beach a month or two ago- holy hell... some guy didn't appreciate the speed I was driving through/around the tunnels into Hampton- dark- rainy- been on the road for 6h ours- so the passenger put his hand out and tossed me the bird as they drove by- they got in the lane in front of me... and I kindly returned the favor and flipped my high beams on.

After about a mile- passenger put his hand out the window and rolled down the road for at least a min with his hand out flipping me off.

Of course I just chuckled and left my high beams on- like dude- I'm in my car- not getting wet- you look like a jack *kitten* with your arm out the window- getting wet and cold. NMP!!!!

Takes all types.

Gotta know where you went to school in VA! ... grew up in virginia beach and then williamsburg, college in blacksburg and now back in Williamsburg. The lengthy flick off is a favorite in the countryside lol.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I grew in CA- and I ran a lot there- and for some reason banging on the hood of a car when it's about to pull out in front of you is a straight natural reaction for me... but holy hell YES_ I'm pretty sure I'm officially Jersey Girl material LOL

@jorocka It was a bit rough in the beginning, the hardest things for me were the slower pace, missing real pizza, being more than 5 miles from the ocean and trusting that people really wanted to help with things not steal my kid LOL I've learned you can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take the Jersey out of the girl.

@4leighbee OMG I try my best not to make people cry LOL I'm much calmer now, though I doubt Skip's middle school principal would agree..or the people at Skip's soccer game a couple weeks back, but definitely calmer. The first thing my boss taught me when I moved here almost 8 years ago was say "Bless Your Heart" before you say your next sentence when you're mad.

My boyfriend is in Abu Dhabi for a year and the first day of work they had a whole rules and things that will get you "exported" from the country. He said baby you wouldn't have made it to the hotel... rule 1, no flipping off people, rule 2, no public displays of affection.

@cooter_mom this was the first winter I ran outside under 40 degrees and I have to say it was COLD at negative wind chill, but there is definitely something awesome about the crisp feeling of the air around you. Now I wouldn't want to do that for 6 months out of the year that's for sure. I dress in layers and you have to seriously not give a crap what you look like.

• JoRocka
    Options

I have this happen occasionally- I have to cross the deli by my house- which sees quiet a bit of traffic- I have banged on the hood of more than one car in my life.

@jorocka I had to go look at your profile, I KNEW you were a Jersey Girl! When cars get too close I bang on the side of them and flip them off LOL I'm transplanted from the Jersey Shore to the South.

From southern Virginia here. Pretty sure I would pull over and cry if someone smacked my hood and flicked me off. :blush:

LOL- I went to school in VA- most of the people there were just old and didn't care or couldn't see- so a loud jolt was needed.

But that's an easy solution- look before you go and then no one will smack your car. LOL... :) we typically don't flick off random people for no reason- although- when I went to VA Beach a month or two ago- holy hell... some guy didn't appreciate the speed I was driving through/around the tunnels into Hampton- dark- rainy- been on the road for 6h ours- so the passenger put his hand out and tossed me the bird as they drove by- they got in the lane in front of me... and I kindly returned the favor and flipped my high beams on.

After about a mile- passenger put his hand out the window and rolled down the road for at least a min with his hand out flipping me off.

Of course I just chuckled and left my high beams on- like dude- I'm in my car- not getting wet- you look like a jack *kitten* with your arm out the window- getting wet and cold. NMP!!!!

Takes all types.

Gotta know where you went to school in VA! ... grew up in virginia beach and then williamsburg, college in blacksburg and now back in Williamsburg. The lengthy flick off is a favorite in the countryside lol.

VMI ;)

@skippygirlsmom‌ heh- yes- much slower. and yes- people really do say hi just to say hi. And are really not trying to steal your children. They both have their advantages- I moved from the high desert of nothing in CA to VA for school- back to CA- then here to NJ and I'm pretty sure I'm here for perma status.
    I'm okay with it- NJ isn't nearly as bad as I thought- has some awesome things- and I actually really fit well in with the people generally speaking- so I'll take it. Plus I love my job- and my BF. So you know- I'll take that ;)
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options

Takes all types.

VMI ;)

Respect.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Not going to lie- glad I'm done with it. Gave me a lot- but I took a lot of baggage with me from that place. Very glad I've put a lot behind me. People aren't the same when they leave there.
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    iofred wrote: »
    ... that strongly reeks like anger-management

@iofred‌
    have gone- yes I need it. I know my own short comings.

Rofl, you "Rock" ... nobody mentioned shortcomings ... just holding my breath if you get upset with your boy friend ... doh

• JoRocka
    Options
    ... that strongly reeks like anger-management

@iofred‌
    have gone- yes I need it. I know my own short comings.

Rofl, you "Rock" ... nobody mentioned shortcomings ... just holding my breath if you get upset with your boy friend ... doh

ah- lol- I thought you were like hinting- dude- you got issues.

werd. It is a bit of a short coming for me- but on the upside- least I own it.

And yes- I apologize to my BF a lot.

like.
    A lot.

I'm a grade A *kitten* when I'm in a bad mood.
  • PurpleYFronts
    PurpleYFronts Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    03/03 - 12.3miles
    05/03 - 5.25miles
    10/03 - 13.1miles
    13/03 - 6.5miles
    17/03 - 14.0miles

51miles - 70 mile total
  • italysharon
    italysharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    2nd try. Oh well.

March 1: 5 miles Tread mill
    March 2: 5 miles ™
    March 3: 2 miles ™ + strength
    March 4: 5 miles ™ no runners high today
    March 5: Rest
    March 6: 5.5 miles ™
    March 7: skied with the kids at Gunstock
    March 8: nothing
    March 9: 7.75 miles OUTSIDE!
    March 10: Pump
    March 11: Nada
    March 12: 5.3 Miles OUTSIDE! woo hoo, so dam hilly and windy, but felt great :-)
    March 13: Nothing
    March 14: Nothing
    March 15: Nothing
    March 16: 10.25 outside. great!
    March 17: Pump

exercise.png
  • ShortMrsN
    ShortMrsN Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    03/03 - 6.2km
    04/03 - 8.59km
    06/03 - 4.0km
    10/03 - 6.1km
    11/03 - 6.02km
    13/03 - 4.02km
    18/03 - 4.04km

Couldn't run yesterday at all..... Tropical cyclone Pam caused some nasty weather!! And today was only marginally better, had to cut it short as the wind is still bordering on gale force out there :(

exercise.png

c644044669b8b51.gif

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

@skippygirlsmom‌ heh- yes- much slower. and yes- people really do say hi just to say hi. And are really not trying to steal your children. They both have their advantages- I moved from the high desert of nothing in CA to VA for school- back to CA- then here to NJ and I'm pretty sure I'm here for perma status.
    I'm okay with it- NJ isn't nearly as bad as I thought- has some awesome things- and I actually really fit well in with the people generally speaking- so I'll take it. Plus I love my job- and my BF. So you know- I'll take that ;)

I never thought I'd miss Jersey but I do...well not the traffic. I miss the Shore and my friends so much. But I know that for our future as a family, this was the right move for us. Have some pizza for me will you? :wink:

• RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Let's do it!
    • Mar 02 -2.0
    • Mar 04 - 4.80
    • Mar 07 - 5.0
    • Mar 12 - 5.2
    • Mar 15 -5.1
    22.1[/spoiler]
    9b1f55426435647.gif
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    briebee7 wrote: »

@JoRocka - I have been known to hit hoods and kick tires when cars try to blow thru intersections and get to close to me (especially if I have the kids with me). Probably not the smartest idea but I just get so pissed sometimes. My husband actually threw a half eaten apple at a car once that came within inches of me and the girls and never stopped. Hit it square on the back window! Oops! Luckily I only have one intersection between my house and the bike trail. And almost no cars at 6am!

yeah I have the same vitriolic lash out reaction to things- I'm pretty sure I'll be beaten to death or shot at an early age- because it's not gotten better with time- I have yet to mellow out. The epic amount of stupid makes me stabby- and one day I'm sure I'll do that to the wrong person. LOL- Least no one can say I don't stand up for myself! LOL

I have so far resisted the urge to bang on one of these cars but have been very tempted - being in So. Calif I worry a bit that someone might shoot me. I did yell at one lady who looked right but never left and zoomed right by me - I was loud enough that she heard me with her windows up and I definitely startled her - I was in the cross walk stopped maybe 5 ft from her car as she went zooming by... I also yelled at a car that did not stop or even slow down, just blew off the stop sign and went through the intersection and they yelled back at me and flipped me off! I am tempted to start taking pictures of the license plates as they go by and sending them to our local police!

@4leighbee‌ - sounds like a perfect morning to me!
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    .. Have some pizza for me will you? :wink:
    I'm also an original westcoast transplant
    MMmmm what I wouldn't do for a authentic NY-thincrust-fold-in-half-burn-the-roof-of-your-mouth-of slice
    B)
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Crossed the century mark for the month today with a nice hot easy 5 miler this afternoon. Tourist/spring break crowds are in full bloom this week, so I've been sticking to the sidewalks when having to hit up the more populated spots.

3/1 - 17 miles
    3/3 - 5 miles
    3/4 - 8 miles
    3/5 - 5 miles
    3/7 - 8 miles
    3/8 - 18 miles
    3/10 - 5 miles
    3/11 - 8 miles
    3/13 - 5 miles
    3/14 - 5 miles (race PR, 7:21 pace)
    3/15 - 12 miles
    3/16 - 1 mile
    3/17 - 5 miles

Total: 102 miles
    Goal: 180 miles
    Remaining: 78 miles
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    After today's 3 miler - 57.8 miles total this month.

I had my 5k last weekend, ran it in 25:08. Goal was sub 25 but there were some things out of my control that prevented this from happening (that I don't care to rehash). Moving along! Onto my 6th half marathon training cycle.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    RunTimer wrote: »
    .. Have some pizza for me will you? :wink:
    I'm also an original westcoast transplant
    MMmmm what I wouldn't do for a authentic NY-thincrust-fold-in-half-burn-the-roof-of-your-mouth-of slice
    B)

yeahhhhhh something about north NJ/NYC pizza that's undeniably good. I had to convince my boyfriend to convert to Papa Johns b/c all the places in SJ where I lived were awful- the mom and pop stores in Blackwood- just- were lacking. At least with a chain you could get a CONSISTENT pie. LOL

also- never thought I'd hear myself say pie regularly. LMAO
  • jnagrl
    jnagrl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

March 17: 4.31 km
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    1--- 6mi
    2--- REST DAY
    3--- 8mi
    4--- 7mi
    5--- 10mi
    6--- 7.25mi
    7--- 18.05mi
    8--- 6mi --- (Weekly total: 56.30 miles)
    9--- REST DAY
    10--- 10mi
    11--- 8mi
    12--- 8mi
    13--- 7mi
    14--- 20mi
    15--- 7mi --- (Weekly total: 60.0 miles)
    16--- REST DAY
    17--- 8mi

Done: 130.30/200mi goal