Is my diet and fitness routine good for losing weight?

Options
13»

Replies

• jenniator
    jenniator Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    nstock wrote: »
    Which gym do you go to? Maybe try doing some classes. Goodlife has a Body Pump class, which I strongly suggest! It's super challenging, and incorporates strength training.

One thing to note about the elliptical... you said you like it cuz of all the calories it burns. Be careful with that. Those calorie readers aren't the most accurate things in the world... just an FYI!

I live in the Netherlands and I go to a gym called Fit For Free. I have thought about doing classes, but I really like using the machines on my own time, especially since classes cost extra. I have been incorporating a little bit of strength training so far.

I like the elliptical because of the calorie burn, the lighter impact on your joints, and I just enjoy it overall more than other machines. I know the elliptical machine way over estimates your calories! The monitor says I burn 660 for a hour, but I think it's only around 450-500 calories for the amount of miles I get which is still extremely good I think.
  • jenniator
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I would say ..

enter your stats into MFP and set it for one pound or half pound per week loss and eat to that number.
    get a food scale and weigh all solid foods and as many liquids as you can
    make sure that you log/measure/weigh everything that you eat
    go into MFP custom setting and set your macro goals to 35% protein/35% carbs/30% fats.
    make sure that you hit your calorie/micro/macro targets for the day, but don't get sucked into the "good" and "bad" food concept. Hit your goals and you can add in someof the foods you like, like pizza, ice cream, cookies, etc.
    I would also suggest strength training..since you just joined a gym do not be afraid of the weight room, I repeat do not be afraid of the weight room and free weights. I would suggest looking into a program like strong lifts, new rules of lifting for woman, starting strength, etc.
    repeat until you get desired goals....

I have entered my stats into MFP and I also used a BMI calculator. So 1,400 to 1,600 is perfect for me. I do have a food scale and I always weigh everything I eat. So that's no problem. I do eat junk food every now and then since it really helps me stay motivated and I always keep within my calorie limit. I haven't gone near the free weights since I've really just stuck to the machines. But I am doing my best and working on getting better!
  • nstock
    nstock Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    jenniator wrote: »
    nstock wrote: »
    Which gym do you go to? Maybe try doing some classes. Goodlife has a Body Pump class, which I strongly suggest! It's super challenging, and incorporates strength training.

One thing to note about the elliptical... you said you like it cuz of all the calories it burns. Be careful with that. Those calorie readers aren't the most accurate things in the world... just an FYI!

I live in the Netherlands and I go to a gym called Fit For Free. I have thought about doing classes, but I really like using the machines on my own time, especially since classes cost extra. I have been incorporating a little bit of strength training so far.

I like the elliptical because of the calorie burn, the lighter impact on your joints, and I just enjoy it overall more than other machines. I know the elliptical machine way over estimates your calories! The monitor says I burn 660 for a hour, but I think it's only around 450-500 calories for the amount of miles I get which is still extremely good I think.

No problem! You don't need the classes... if it was free I'd say jump on it! But if the cost is an issue, just find other things to do. I can't stress enough how important it is to increase the strength training. Especially for your goals and concern for loose skin, that's how you're going to tighten up! More muscle= more calories burned when you're sitting on your butt! (sounds pretty good to me) Keep up the good work, and find a system that works for you. Always ask for advice or help when you need it, and you'll be fine!
  • jenniator
    Options
    To be honest, no I'm not. I work out all of my muscle groups since I use different machines. I just go to a machine and do 15-30 reps and move on to another one. I'm not sure if that's fine or if I need to follow a specific plan.

I would look into a beginner lifting program. It will take a lot of the guess work out of the equation.

Don't look at exercise as a timed event. You can get a lot out of working out for 45-60 minutes by doing the right things. [/quote]

Ok thank you. I will look into a beginner program. It's don't really look at exercise at a timed event and time goes by fast, but I'm a type of person that likes to have a plan and know how long it takes or a estimate.
  • jenniator
    Options
    Goodlife also has spin classes which are awesome! You'll only get out of them what you put into them, but if you put a good effort into them and really be there, they'll kick your *kitten* and you'll feel great. I don't like the RPM classes, I prefer All Terrain and Road Drills, but I have friends who like all three; personal preference I guess.

Spin classes are very low impact cardio too, if that's what you're looking for. And PS - they do not make your legs huge in any way. I have had women say they want to come to spin with me but they don't want huge legs. Biggest BS ever!! If you want big legs, there's other ways to get it. I know some articles have said it happens but I do not have any noticeable changes in my leg measurements at all! They're going down at relatively the same rate as my arms and waist although I do have big legs, a lot of women do . . . [/quote]

I live in the Netherlands, so we don't have Goodlife. I have been curious about spin classes and think they would be fine, but all of the classes are in Dutch which I don't speak yet. I have heard they did kick your butt though ha ha. I'm glad to hear that spin classes don't make your legs huge, I've always wondered about that ha ha.

• jenniator
    Options
    your openness to accept solid advice will ensure your success. Not everyone at the gym knows everything. This is a good place to learn because the majority of the people here wanted to lose weight and get fit. A well rounded approach works best, and many of us shared the same struggles and had the same questions.
    No sense re-inventing the wheel, learn from others......but at the same time you have to find what works for you. I do a lot of things my way because I hate a particular machine, or have different goals. I have no problem eating properly when I am motivated, and love exercise.......but it sure is easy to swing the pendulum too far and lose progress by being inefficient or wasting time.
    It isn't rocket science but does require learning..
    continued success...good luck

Thank you, I really am trying to be open to everyone's suggestions and listen to advice. I've learned so much by being open minded this last year and learned more than I ever knew. So many people on MFP are knowledgeable and have experience since a lot of people been through the same thing. So it's really nice so many people are willing to help me and take time to tell me what will be best for me, so I really do my best to follow their advice. It is true that everyone has something that works best for them, so I keep that in mind for me. I absolutely love the Elliptical trainer and it works for me. It does take time to learn, but it is worth is. :)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Loads of great advice already, but to give your workout more efficiency change things up. Put 15 mins on a cardio machine and change up your routine, hit weights and focus on proper form, then finish strong with cardio.

I like the elliptical as I have a very bad knee, but I put resistance near maximum and continually pushing my heart rate. Unfortunately the caloric burn is highly inflated on most machines. Best method of tracking caloric burn is via a heart rate monitor. Several models on the market, but I favor Polar.

Best of luck to you - you are already on a great start!
  • jenniator
    Options
    No problem! You don't need the classes... if it was free I'd say jump on it! But if the cost is an issue, just find other things to do. I can't stress enough how important it is to increase the strength training. Especially for your goals and concern for loose skin, that's how you're going to tighten up! More muscle= more calories burned when you're sitting on your butt! (sounds pretty good to me) Keep up the good work, and find a system that works for you. Always ask for advice or help when you need it, and you'll be fine![/quote]

If classes were free, I would be there in a instant ha ha. But I figure I don't really need the classes since I've been doing so well on my own already. I mean I lost 43 pounds just from walking alone! So think what I can do with a machine that burns more calories in less time. I will work on increasing my strength training to 30 minutes. I think I have been doing really well for 4 days and am making good progress. It does sound awesome to burn calories doing absolutely nothing! I always do ask when I need help and really appreciate how many people are willing to give advice.
  • jenniator
    edited February 2015
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Loads of great advice already, but to give your workout more efficiency change things up. Put 15 mins on a cardio machine and change up your routine, hit weights and focus on proper form, then finish strong with cardio.

I like the elliptical as I have a very bad knee, but I put resistance near maximum and continually pushing my heart rate. Unfortunately the caloric burn is highly inflated on most machines. Best method of tracking caloric burn is via a heart rate monitor. Several models on the market, but I favor Polar.

Best of luck to you - you are already on a great start!

I have got really great advice! :) Good idea to switch up my routine by doing cardio, strength training, and then cardio again. I've always hated jogging since being heavier puts more pressure on your legs and knee's which is really uncomfortable. The elliptical is so low impact that it doesn't do damage that running or jogging does and it's really a good machine. I know that the calorie rate is exaggerated on the gym machines, so I try to be careful about that. Thank you! I am doing my best.
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I drink 8 cups of water a day and I eat about 1,400 to 1,600 calories per day. The last few days here has been my diet plan: Brinta (50 grams) (a whole-grain type of breakfast that looks like oatmeal (175 calories), a turkey sandwich on whole-grain bread after the gym (210 calories), another turkey sandwich a little later (210 calories), a big dinner (about 1000-1,100 calories) (Tonight was chicken in sauce with rice), and sometimes a snack between 50-300 calories. My snacks can range from fruits or occasionally junk food like chocolate or a few cookies. I'm not sure if it's bad to eat most of my calories at night, but it's what I prefer since it's when I'm the most hungriest and my family always prepares huge meals. Thank you for your advice and please tell me what I can improve on.[/quote]

Why are you eating so little, for your weight and height?
    Especially if your going to be doing cardio for an hour.

Are you going to be lifting as well?

If I were you I would start off with portion controlling and eating more wholefoods. Do cardio 4-5x 45 mins eat more calories & lift! Once you get closer to your goal, then you can figure out your calories or macros & switch up your workouts.

If you restrict yourself so soon your going to have a hard time losing the last 10-15lbs!
  • jenniator
    Options
    Why are you eating so little, for your weight and height?
    Especially if your going to be doing cardio for an hour.

Are you going to be lifting as well?

If I were you I would start off with portion controlling and eating more wholefoods. Do cardio 4-5x 45 mins eat more calories & lift! Once you get closer to your goal, then you can figure out your calories or macros & switch up your workouts.

If you restrict yourself so soon your going to have a hard time losing the last 10-15lbs!
    [/quote]

I don't think 1,400 to 1,600 calories a day is too little? That's about what the BMI calculator recommended. I also eat back my exercise calories, so I don't think it's too little. I have been lifting a little (10-20 minutes), but I heard lifting doesn't burn too many calories. I do have good portion control I think besides at dinner, but that's because of personal preference. At the amount of calories and exercise now, I've only been losing about 1 pound a week, so I wouldn't want to increase my calories.