WorkOuts in the Office?

Options
Anyone know of any exercises/workouts to do in the office? I sit in my chair 8-10 hours a day and want to find a way to burn some calories on my down time, but not look ridiculous to my peers in the office lol. Any suggestions?

Replies

• KOLIVIER74
    KOLIVIER74 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I made small changes to my desk set-up which increased my steps on my pedometer by a 1/3rd a day. Stapler, punch, stamps put on shelve not within easy reaching distance. Setting my default printer to the communal office printer to force me to get up and fetch it, and doing desk stretches 3-4 times a day(downloaded and printed and in full view on my desk. Also go for a walk every lunchtime. Getting up out if chair when filing and answering phone. They all add up
  • MeganFlanagan16
    MeganFlanagan16 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I work in a call center so getting up and walking around isn't much of an option. We only have whiteboards and dry erase markers at our desk and I bring a book to read when there is down time. No staplers, no getting up and walking around, and we don't print anything lol. I walk around a little on lunch, but most of it is spent... eating my lunch lol
  • tziol
    tziol Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    hi, why in the office? :) I also have sitting job behind the desk. One option would be to go to the local gym, running etc. at lunch break. I prefer evenings for exercises after work. The only walking I'm doing in my office is 20 meters distance to the coffee machine :) and sometimes I go out at lunch break to get some food, but that doesn't count as exercise.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have never been able to successfully integrate anything other than walking into the middle of my workday. Getting sweaty in work clothes isn't a great feeling, and you have to cut an actual workout short to get it into the lunch hour. Maybe just do some stretches? Or - five sun salutations, that might be ok.
  • MeganFlanagan16
    Options
    Unfortunately I work 3-1145pm so my gym is closed by the time I get off. I work about 60hrs a week right now. I also am unable to jog because I've had knee and back surgery and its too high impact for me. I also attend school and do that right before work lol... Im a busy woman :)
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Yikes! Yes you are!

Is there a 24-hour gym near you? It might be worth switching...

The other option would be, to walk at lunch and eat during your down time (unless it's not allowed, which I imagine might be the case if you have to be ready to speak quickly)
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Also I applaud you trying so hard to get it in, with that schedule.

(I would have said, try a DVD when you get home, but it's hard to know which will work for you with your injuries. Stationary bike is usually ok for most.)
  • MeganFlanagan16
    Options
    I can have small snacks at my desk... I tried the whole 24hr gym thing, but the ones around me are kinda... blah. I switched to LA Fitness mostly because my boyfriend and some friends go there.
  • MeganFlanagan16
    Options
    Yes, the only activities I've been approved for are biking and swimming, but it's still a bit too cold for any of those things :P
  • tziol
    Options
    Go in the morning to the gym, before work 9-10am, 40 mins will be enough for the training
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Run stairs at lunch, park further away, do squats every time you go to the toilet.
  • MeganFlanagan16
    Options
    At the moment I work 10am-130pm and then 3-1145pm... I have class from 740am-840am... Lol I literally have zero time... By the time I get home its midnight and I have to be up in less than 6hrs. Between 130pm and 3pm I eat and study
  • tomatoey
    Options
    I would say, focus on diet for now. Get one great strength workout in on the weekend, and one good moderate session of swimming or biking at the gym. Maybe get some walking into your commute if that's possible, otherwise, don't put this pressure on yourself for now.
  • tziol
    Options
    I would left the classes at 7.40-8.40am in that case :smiley: as 6 hrs sleep is not good for long time and would exercise only on weekedns. Do you work on weekend too? :)
  • MeganFlanagan16
    Options
    Right now yes... Hopefully next week work will calm down... I usually have Wednesdays and Sats off, but Im working both my days off
  • tziol
    Options
    Then set priority for sleep and good "healthy" food/diet and exercise only when you will have time on days off. Dont worry that it wont be regurarly, you will still see progress :)
  • MeganFlanagan16
    Options
  • LaraArmstrong16
    Options
    I once read an article in a magazine about exercises at the desk. It suggested sitting calf raises. And also something where you stretch you leg out straight off the floor and you have to draw the alphabet with your foot raised off the floor before you could put it back down.
    Im not really sure if they work but i like doing the alphabet one when im a bit bored.
  • kevinmk_37
    kevinmk_37 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Megan,

I just took a management course that had a fitness seminar. The doctor who lead the class said that sitting at a desk 4 (could have been 5) hours straight has the same impact on your life expectancy as smoking a pack of cigarettes a day. It was shocking to all of us. Getting up and walking quickly for 15 min every hour will reduce that impact by 30 %.
  • MeganFlanagan16
    Options
    Unfortunately I don't have the ability to leave my desk for 15min every hour lol. I work in a call center and can't leave the phones except for my lunch and 2 breaks every couple of hours.