Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Just make sure it's rolled oats or steel cut, and not that quick cook stuff
  • nesian_twin
    Options
    What's bad about it? :)[/quote]

You're so right! It doesnt matter if its within our daily calorie limit. Obviously I'm still stuck in that mindset of thinking some foods are good and some foods are bad.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Well it can be bad, if you turn something you absolutely love into something that makes you gag. Oatmeal+eggs "pancake" I'm looking at you!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Why?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

The quick cook stuff is just rolled oats run through a chopping blade a few times. Nothing wrong with it.

• LeslieCampbell35
    Options
    Since this is an oatmeal three I'll put a website for custom oatmeal everyone can look at: myoatmeal.com
  • VeggieHero
    VeggieHero Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I eat it every morning. Usually with a banana, freshly ground flax seed, cinnamon, and a bit of chopped dark chocolate. yummmmm
  • Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Okay wanted to ask something, is eating oatmeal everyday somehow bad? I love it too much to stop :'(

I eat 100 plain oatmeal with no sugar added( I boil it with water ) and eat it with a fruit (apple,banana,grapefruit or something else) every day after workout.
  • Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    It is a good way to get your protein and carbs after workout :)
  • maram29
    maram29 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I eat rolled oats every morning since being on MFP. Have lost my weight while eating it. I usually put a high fiber fruit on it, like berries. I eat it with my egg whites. I think it is a very healthy breakfast, healthier certainly than what I was eating before. :) Keep on eating it. Be wary of the instant, though. It has more sugars in it, rather than the fiber that makes is satisfy your hunger. :)
  • kaylaaah88
    kaylaaah88 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I eat it with ground flax and some pumpkin and I love it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Why? @galganstrick
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Unless food contribute to internal health in an adverse way (and I'm not talking about weight, but rather if it contributes to disease or otherwise poor health), then I don't think you could consider it bad, as at the very least even if it's not a particularly great source of nutrients, worst case scenario you're still getting the calories for energy from it.

How different foods affect your adherence to your calorie intake is another thing, but that doesn't make the food a defacto bad food, it just means that food may be a good or bad *food choice* for you, ie if eating food x causes you to over or under eat for whatever reason, then that food may not be a good food choice for you if that does not contribute towards your goals.

Enjoy the oatmeal if it doesn't hinder your goals :smile:

• MythicalMe84
    MythicalMe84 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Quaker Weight Control. I eat it almost every morning.
  • MythicalMe84
    MythicalMe84 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Make a big pot of it adding your favorite fruit (I like blueberries and bananas with a bit of cinnamon and brown sugar), put it in a square or rectangle casserole dish, refrigerate overnight, cut into squares, freeze each square on a cookie sheet sprayed with oil, wrap them individually, and put them in a freezer bag. When you heat it up, takes like it was just made.

This is a good idea! I will have to try this.

• icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Make a big pot of it adding your favorite fruit (I like blueberries and bananas with a bit of cinnamon and brown sugar), put it in a square or rectangle casserole dish, refrigerate overnight, cut into squares, freeze each square on a cookie sheet sprayed with oil, wrap them individually, and put them in a freezer bag. When you heat it up, takes like it was just made.

Great tip. Thanks for sharing :smile:

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Only strange people don't love oatmeal. ;)
  • hindindianadaal
    Options
    Thank y'all berry much
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

The quick cook stuff is just rolled oats run through a chopping blade a few times. Nothing wrong with it.

It's actually pre cooked, then dehydrated again and a lot of the time sweeteners or preservatives are added as a result. So it's more processed. But I was more referring to those packets with huge amounts of sugar in them.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

It's actually pre cooked, then dehydrated again and a lot of the time sweeteners or preservatives are added as a result. So it's more processed. But I was more referring to those packets with huge amounts of sugar in them.

It's not precooked and they have the same nutrition

"Oats cut for oatmeal are typically processed into one of three forms. The least processed are the steel-cut variety, which are made by passing oat groats—the whole oat grain with the outer hull removed—through steel cutters, which cuts the oat groat into three or four pieces. Rolled oats are oat groats that have been steamed and flattened with a roller. Instant oats are steel cut oats that have gone through a longer steaming and flattening process than the rolled oats. They are the most processed and fastest-cooking form of oatmeal."