Running 5 km (concerns only ppl who run often and have experience in long distance races)

Options
HI :) So I did my first 5 km run today....but I am not so happy with the result ( 39 place out of 68). So what do you recommened that I should do to have more resistance and improve my result ? They make this race every week once so I think to go at least 2 times a month.And when have more experience one day (probably after a lot of time ) I might do 10 km or 15 km but first I want to get better at this.

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    What is your running background? If you are new, the easy answer is just to build up to running more miles per week. But don't ramp up so quickly that you get injured.
    If you already have a base and want to improve that, then more miles would also help, but then you can get into tempo runs, hill repeats, & intervals.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Interval training
  • Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    What is your running background? If you are new, the easy answer is just to build up to running more miles per week. But don't ramp up so quickly that you get injured.
    If you already have a base and want to improve that, then more miles would also help, but then you can get into tempo runs, hill repeats, & intervals.

Ok thank u ! (btw I don't have background in it) So how long should I run a day ? Should I run every day and should I combine it with interval training or strenght training ? And should I run the day before race ?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Just my two cents.

As rybo said, build slowly. If you are already running everyday then continue to. If you are running 2-3x a week then you might try to increase the distance only on one of those days.

You will need to increase slowly. The general rule is 10% increase after you have been at that distance for at least 2 weeks.

Or, if you run 2 days a week then you can increase your mileage by 2 miles, 3x =3miles and so forth. Two week rule still applies. Best thing to do is listen to your body. Stretch, core strength, add resistance and cross training.

There are training plans online that you can use to get a feel for how to proceed. Hal Higdon's are popular. Runner's world online also has info/tips.

As far as running the day before a 5k, that's up to you. If you feel OK then fine. But I think traditionally its a rest day.

Good luck!
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Another vote for looking at the Runner's World site. That is all they do. They have a TON of articles about these issues and many training plans suited to various levels. That site really helped me educate myself on these things.
  • Katerina9408
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Just my two cents.

As rybo said, build slowly. If you are already running everyday then continue to. If you are running 2-3x a week then you might try to increase the distance only on one of those days.

You will need to increase slowly. The general rule is 10% increase after you have been at that distance for at least 2 weeks.

Or, if you run 2 days a week then you can increase your mileage by 2 miles, 3x =3miles and so forth. Two week rule still applies. Best thing to do is listen to your body. Stretch, core strength, add resistance and cross training.

There are training plans online that you can use to get a feel for how to proceed. Hal Higdon's are popular. Runner's world online also has info/tips.

As far as running the day before a 5k, that's up to you. If you feel OK then fine. But I think traditionally its a rest day.

Good luck!
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    Another vote for looking at the Runner's World site. That is all they do. They have a TON of articles about these issues and many training plans suited to various levels. That site really helped me educate myself on these things.

Thank u ! :) Hope next week will be better !
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    If you've just recently started running, it should be every other day.
    And 39/68 doesn't really tell us much.
    I came in 24th out of 80 something but placed 1st in my age group.

Here's a training program from Hal Higdon:
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/50933/5K-Novice-Training-Program

On the days he says run/walk OR rest, if you choose the run/walk, actually do run/walk intervals.
  • Katerina9408
    Options

On the days he says run/walk OR rest, if you choose the run/walk, actually do run/walk intervals.

Is 27 :11 for 5 km too slow ?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    You still haven't answered the key question of "what is your running background?" Without that information, nobody can give you an informed answer.
  • Katerina9408
    Options
    You still haven't answered the key question of "what is your running background?" Without that information, nobody can give you an informed answer.

I don't run at all I only do calisthenics with weights at home, I don't have background at running.Only last summer I have run for 1 month and this month for 1 week but that doesn't count. I am new at this.
  • lishie_rebooted
    edited February 2015
    Options

@brianpperkins‌
    , she did respond.
    See bolded below:

Ok thank u ! (btw I don't have background in it) So how long should I run a day ? Should I run every day and should I combine it with interval training or strenght training ? And should I run the day before race ?

Because she stated she had no background, that's why I answered the way I did.

27:11 is fine for an 5k.
    It's not slow, it's not fast. Generally speaking, it's about middle of the pack. That's an average of 8:46/mi
    It's a great time for your first ever 5k.

However, you've recently started running and you want to race & improve that time every 2 weeks? I don't see that happening without an injury. Don't be overzealous. I was and ended up taking off about 2 years from racing, I was able to still run 5ks but I couldn't race at my optimal pace since I had injured myself. I'm finally back into racing and I'm being a lot smarter about my training now.

ETA: youre profile states you want to take first in a 5k.
    The top female finisher at my last 5k finished in 20:11 on a hilly course.
    Top female finisher in your age group was 24:27.

My PR was on a flat course with 24:58. And that course, the top finisher in the 20-24 age group had a sub-20 5k
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

@brianpperkins‌
    , she did respond.
    See bolded below:

It's not slow, it's not fast. Generally speaking, it's about middle of the pack. That's an average of 8:46/mi

However, you've recently started running and you want to race & improve that time every 2 weeks? I don't see that happening without an injury. Don't be overzealous. I was and ended up taking off about 2 years from racing, I was able to still run 5ks but I couldn't race at my optimal pace since I had injured myself. I'm finally back into racing and I'm being a lot smarter about my training now.

My PR was on a flat course with 24:58. And that course, the top finisher in the 20-24 age group had a sub-20 5k

That was about my time for my first 5k and I was thrilled. I think I was about 30th overall, but I was first in my age bracket. I'd been running on my own around 9:30/mile, so to shave 45 seconds from my pace on race day was amazing. I've been told that's actually somewhat common. Adrenaline something something.
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

@brianpperkins‌
    , she did respond.
    See bolded below:

As a relative novice she can improve her times every two weeks, in fact that would be the whole point
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

@brianpperkins‌
    , she did respond.
    See bolded below:

That was about my time for my first 5k and I was thrilled. I think I was about 30th overall, but I was first in my age bracket. I'd been running on my own around 9:30/mile, so to shave 45 seconds from my pace on race day was amazing. I've been told that's actually somewhat common. Adrenaline something something.

It is very common to shave time off on race day. I did as well on my first 5k and most races I run faster than my training pace.

but my point was that she if she wants to take 1st place overall female, she has a lot of work to do and needs to be really smart about her training.
  • Katerina9408
    Options

@brianpperkins‌
    , she did respond.
    See bolded below:

Todays top was 17:46
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Sub 30 5k is respectable. Keep at it, slowly and patiently, and you'll be on track to take that 1st.
  • Katerina9408
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Sub 30 5k is respectable. Keep at it, slowly and patiently, and you'll be on track to take that 1st.

Thank u :) I know that I have to put a lot of effort to do that (if I can). But as other said I will try to not push myself too hard in the beggining and do what they told me.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

I don't run at all I only do calisthenics with weights at home, I don't have background at running.Only last summer I have run for 1 month and this month for 1 week but that doesn't count. I am new at this.

Funny ... your diary shows a eight runs over the past month. But you don't run ... got it.
  • Katerina9408
    Options

Funny ... your diary shows a eight runs over the past month. But you don't run ... got it.

Yeah but I don't count it cuz it is just a week.When I do month or more then I can count it.But generally I am begginer.