Running 5 km (concerns only ppl who run often and have experience in long distance races)

Options
2»

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    You still haven't answered the key question of "what is your running background?" Without that information, nobody can give you an informed answer.

I don't run at all I only do calisthenics with weights at home, I don't have background at running.Only last summer I have run for 1 month and this month for 1 week but that doesn't count. I am new at this.

Funny ... your diary shows a eight runs over the past month. But you don't run ... got it.

Yeah but I don't count it cuz it is just a week.When I do month or more then I can count it.But generally I am begginer.

Again, your diary shows those runs starting a month ago. Either your comments here are true, or your diary is ... I'll spend my time on MFP with those that can at least provide a consistent story.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    You still haven't answered the key question of "what is your running background?" Without that information, nobody can give you an informed answer.

@brianpperkins‌
    , she did respond.
    See bolded below:
    rybo wrote: »
    What is your running background? If you are new, the easy answer is just to build up to running more miles per week. But don't ramp up so quickly that you get injured.
    If you already have a base and want to improve that, then more miles would also help, but then you can get into tempo runs, hill repeats, & intervals.

Ok thank u ! (btw I don't have background in it) So how long should I run a day ? Should I run every day and should I combine it with interval training or strenght training ? And should I run the day before race ?

Because she stated she had no background, that's why I answered the way I did.

If you've just recently started running, it should be every other day.
    And 39/68 doesn't really tell us much.
    I came in 24th out of 80 something but placed 1st in my age group.

Here's a training program from Hal Higdon:
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/50933/5K-Novice-Training-Program

On the days he says run/walk OR rest, if you choose the run/walk, actually do run/walk intervals.

Is 27 :11 for 5 km too slow ?

27:11 is fine for an 5k.
    It's not slow, it's not fast. Generally speaking, it's about middle of the pack. That's an average of 8:46/mi
    It's a great time for your first ever 5k.

However, you've recently started running and you want to race & improve that time every 2 weeks? I don't see that happening without an injury. Don't be overzealous. I was and ended up taking off about 2 years from racing, I was able to still run 5ks but I couldn't race at my optimal pace since I had injured myself. I'm finally back into racing and I'm being a lot smarter about my training now.

ETA: youre profile states you want to take first in a 5k.
    The top female finisher at my last 5k finished in 20:11 on a hilly course.
    Top female finisher in your age group was 24:27.

My PR was on a flat course with 24:58. And that course, the top finisher in the 20-24 age group had a sub-20 5k

Todays top was 17:46

So essentially you'd have to take 10 minutes off of your time. Which is going to take quite a while and even longer if you get overzealous and injure yourself.
  • Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I don't run at all I only do calisthenics with weights at home, I don't have background at running.Only last summer I have run for 1 month and this month for 1 week but that doesn't count. I am new at this.

Funny ... your diary shows a eight runs over the past month. But you don't run ... got it.

Yeah but I don't count it cuz it is just a week.When I do month or more then I can count it.But generally I am begginer.

Again, your diary shows those runs starting a month ago. Either your comments here are true, or your diary is ... I'll spend my time on MFP with those that can at least provide a consistent story.

Again......I didn't count the days but I don't consider them as something that big.nvm
  • Katerina9408
    Options

They both are true.Yes, I have run but do I count it as something serious ? ....no. Since I was not that fast , I am not so sure how accure my calculation of speed was then and I didn't do it for long. nvm I have got the help I needed.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

They both are true.Yes, I have run but do I count it as something serious ? ....no. Since I was not that fast , I am not so sure how accure my calculation of speed was then and I didn't do it for long. nvm I have got the help I needed.

You aren't making any sense...
  • Katerina9408
    Options

You aren't making any sense...

ok so i have a little background . It is just that I don't know what ppl call a big experiance inrunning (or how u call it ?) so I don't know how to define mine ( if it can be called experience). That is why I said that I am begginer cuz for MYSELF I see it that way idk
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    If you want to run a 20 min 5k your best bet would be to join a running club. You will need to do interval sessions, long runs, hill runs and weight training if you are going to win a 5k. It is possible to do those things on your own but if you want to be competitive you are best to join a club (every race I have ever run has been won by a serious club runner). Good luck with it.
  • Katerina9408
    Options
    If you want to run a 20 min 5k your best bet would be to join a running club. You will need to do interval sessions, long runs, hill runs and weight training if you are going to win a 5k. It is possible to do those things on your own but if you want to be competitive you are best to join a club (every race I have ever run has been won by a serious club runner). Good luck with it.

Thank u :)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I've been "running" for 10 years or more. I'm slow. My 5k PR is 32:51. I walk a lot. My farthest run was this last week at 6.47 miles. I am also a beginner. I may have miles and time logged but I do not consider myself an experienced runner.

So I understand how you are just starting out. I am too.

If we have been duped by an experienced runner, she wouldn't have posted the sub 30 5k. Coz that's just beans to someone conditioned. Any how it all wouldn't matter anyway. Not like the time its taken you to post was time away from something more important. Sheesh.
  • Katerina9408
    Options
    mixamind wrote: »
    There are some neurotic people on these forums...

Running for a month IS considered beginner. You just want to improve and you probably just wanted some general tips.

Make sure you are doing mid strike on mid to long distance running. I train sprinting and we specifically do forefoot strike but i used to do a lot of 5k runs and forefoot strike will just tire you out.

I suggest you do some workouts that work your hip flexors since that is the muscle that pulls your legs up and forward and thus the stronger and fast it is the faster you run.

You can do some box jumps to improve your explosiveness.

For your stamina just train consistently near or at 5k. Dont stress yourself too much since you are just starting and injuring yourself is the last thing you should do. Let your body get used to the movements before pushing yourself too much.

:) Thanks !
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I would suggest getting a book on running and following a basic plan instead of requesting info on a forum. Too many highly opinionated people located on these forums. I like Runner's World Complete Book of Running.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    It is all relative. 27min is my best ever 5km but I do not consider myself an avid runner. I enjoy jogging, but not interested in winning races.
    Keep on running, lots of great places to help you get better/faster.

Congrats and good job
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    If I want to win a race I pick one with slower people in it. ;)

I think as a relative beginner you need to build up the distance you are running at a slow pace rather than racing every two weeks. If you find you are the sort of woman runner who can do sub 18 it'll take a few years of decent mileage.
  • Katerina9408
    Options
    Curt911 wrote: »
    I would suggest getting a book on running and following a basic plan instead of requesting info on a forum. Too many highly opinionated people located on these forums. I like Runner's World Complete Book of Running.

I've visited their site.Looks good.I def need spend some time for it !
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Second the advice to train with others. It's much easier. Also, one thing to put your efforts in perspective --- lots of people say that once you are beyond being a beginner, your racing success this year is mostly about what you did last year and the year before. I've also been advised (by a guy who runs 14:3X 5Ks and coaches college athletes) that it takes about 6 years to fully train your aerobic capacity. Just something to keep in mind if you are serious about wanting to win a race some day. Build slowly.

Also, don't let people tell you that you can't do it. I know a lady who started running in her mid 50s, discovered that she loved it and became a competitive age-group marathoner (i.e. regularly winning her age group in small/medium) in just a few years. It can be done. If you are running 8:40 miles on virtually no training as an adult, you may have some natural talent, which helps.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »
    If I want to win a race I pick one with slower people in it. ;)

Yep! I placed second in my age group with a 35+ 5k! Woot woot! Lol!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    This thread makes my brain hurt.

Essentially, as a relative beginner, the way to improve is to develop consistency. So get onto a 10K training plan that has you running 3-4 times per week. You'll see an improvement in your 5Km time quite quickly.

Once you've got some decent training volume under your belt then you can go onto a specific 5Km performance improvement plan. That'll probably involve about 40km per week, so it'll take you some time to get to that volume safely.

On non running days, continue with the bodyweight work to help mitigate for any injury risk and that'll help with the leg power.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    HI :) So I did my first 5 km run today....but I am not so happy with the result ( 39 place out of 68). So what do you recommened that I should do to have more resistance and improve my result ? They make this race every week once so I think to go at least 2 times a month.And when have more experience one day (probably after a lot of time ) I might do 10 km or 15 km but first I want to get better at this.
    Fast 5km? Get a strong 15km time.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    To run a 5k really well, you need to be able to run a 10k pretty well. There are lots of "serious" programs to get you running a 5k well - lots of great college coaches out there - here is one that is a pretty typical mix of endurance, intervals, and power.

http://running.competitor.com/2011/06/training/the-10-week-advanced-5k-training-plan_31348/2

This assumes you're already able to run for a full 60 minutes without difficulty and without needing full-on rest days - ie, it's fairly advanced. If you're not there yet, I would suggest a "learn to 10k" program first.

And I can't stress this enough - Build. Up. SLOW.

Your body WILL thank you for it! :drinker: