beach body is a fail. suggestions?

Options

Replies

• dogsarebears
    dogsarebears Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Several jillian michaels videos are free on the BeFit channel of YouTube, including 30 day shred levels 1 and 2, banish fat boost metabolism (no weights needed), and ripped in 30 level 1...plus a couple others. I've also heard good things about fitnessblender, which is also free.
  • dacapero
    dacapero Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love beachbody workouts t-25, insanity, insanity max...yes they are $100 for like 10 DVDs (depending on the program) but I have recieved huge results and lost 41 lbs without the help of a coach just friends on a fb group that encourage eachother. When you buy the DVDs you have to remember they are yours for life..unlike paying a monthly gym membership and you get real results!! You should try them they have a $$ back guarantee and I guarantee if you try them and are consistent you will get great results!
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I got the NHS C25K and Strength and Flex podcasts. Free and good. Also a £10 Pilates DVD by Darcy Bussel (Amazon). But there are loads of free workouts on Youtube. TBH I don't think one programme has the secret to a perfect body, though. Otherwise there would only be one and the rest would go out of business.....

ETA: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx
  • catherinepetrosky
    Options
    I've tried Chalene Extreme and she was great but I'm more energized by Shaun T's personality. He keeps my attention more and I've actually done a few of his dvd series. I have bought all of mine recently off of eBay. I just got Max 30 for $70. I would suggest eBay first because it's a lot more reasonable. Never used a coach but I'm doing it with a friend so I'm held more accountable. I just don't have time for the gym.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've used fitness blender and it is free and as someone else said, if you can read you don't need a coach. There are tons of programmes online that you can print off and follow. Couch to 5k is a great one too. Have you considered Stronglifts 5x5? There is an app you can download on your smartphone and if you have weights and a barbell at home it is a good programme to follow, only 3 times a week.
  • pope705
    pope705 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Most, if not all the beach body workouts can be downloaded from pirate bay to your computer. At least that way you can try them and see if you like a particular program before shelling out big bucks for the DVDs
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Go to MFP's blog on the far right side of the blue bar above, and scroll through the pages of next topics. There are some really helpful ones. One is on the ten best free fitness videos on Youtube. Another is the best free videos for beginning yoga. Lots of insightful info on their blog page. And also remember that ultimately. YOU are the only one making choices that can stand between you and success. Supportive friends are wonderful, you can have hundreds of them, but without your own self control and determination it can't be done. I am just another member working on improving my health, but welcome! You can do it!
  • sup3rb3ast
    sup3rb3ast Posts: 73 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If you are not set on a DVD, go to FitGirlsGuide.com and have a look at their ebooks. They recommend you start on the 28 Day Jumpstart. The books have a meal plan with recipes, and work out plans to match (no equipment or gym needed, but you can of course use both with the plans if you want).

I am on my second month using their recipes and workouts and I have lost more weight than I have in two years of trying. It's not easy, the recipes are measured out, calories counted, and the workouts get increasingly more intense each week.

As far as accountability goes, there is a huge Instagram community. You make an instagram account and join the community that way. They do group challenges, progress pictures, competitions, and the girls in the group are super supportive. It is really fun and keeps me accountable.

Check them out on Instagram @ FitGirlsGuide and you can check out my personal journey @ fitgirl.a.k if you want!
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I personally love fitness DVDs. That and C25K is all I do. I have two little ones that I am not comfortable leaving in a gym day care type setting so at home is what works for me.

One of my favorites is Jillian Michael's Body Revolution. It was a pricey program when I bought it years ago, but if you look at it over the long run it pays off. I have done the program three times and I know I will do it again so I feel the price was worth it. My husband is actually trying it out now. The workouts are short and I did get stronger and sticking with MFP recommendations lost 30lbs in two rounds.

I also use Beachbody. I have Chalean Extreme and Turbofire. As others have mentioned they are programs, not one DVD. I am currently doing CLX for the second time and Turbofire for cardio on days I do not run because I actually have fun doing those workouts. I ordered from the website so they did assign me a random coach when I signed up for the Team Beachbody site. She did not contact me for awhile then asked me if I wanted to join a challenge group on FB. It was actually helpful. She did mention about me becoming a BB coach at the end of the challenge which I know is the stick but I simply told her it was not for me and that was the end of it. You could always bypass BB and order on Amazon or find a used copy on ebay.

Search for something that you enjoy doing. It makes it so much easier to stick with it.
  • TrishaCisneros
    TrishaCisneros Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Personally, I love beachbody. I have done P90x, T25, P90x3, PiYo, and now I am doing TurboFire. I am definitely a Tony Horton/Chalene Johnson fan. I don't really like Shaun T. I wasn't really into the while 21 Day Fix thing, but I did get the Portion Fix set and LOOOVE it

I live in a super rural area and the nearest gym is like an hour away (50+ miles) so workout DVD's are my saving grace. I also like being able to workout on my own, at my convenience. I have twins are are just starting to walk, so even if a gym was close, it's pretty much outta the question.

I get your stance on the whole coach thing. I'm a discount coach, so it works for me.

When I first started working out again after I had my girls, I started with C25k. I HIGHLY recommend it. I also got the RockMyRun app and my runs flew by, so to say lol. Feel free to add me :)
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Insanity from beach body, and I love it. I spent $144 for the entire workout, which is 10 DVDs, a workout calendar, and a meal booklet. This is my second time doing it, and I'm still coach less. The 'coaches' are mainly just sales representatives for the beach body company. (Someone just tried to get me to become a coach over the weekend.)
    The products are worth it, but if you don't want to spend the money, you can go to YouTube and look up each workout. It's random people recording themselves doing the DVDs, but it's free.
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I find the DVD programs like Jillian Michaels Body Revolution or the Beachbody programs are motivating enough on their own and you don't need to have a coach to help you through them.

There are groups on here for a lot of them anyway so if you want someone to be able to contact and talk to about them join the groups and you can bring up topics or add friends who are doing the same thing.

I've found cheap or free versions of a lot of the major workout DVDs like P90X or P90X3 and Insanity as well as many many others. I used to buy DVDs and one-off workout DVDs are cheap but they quickly wear out so I found that watching them online or getting them from friends or elsewhere is the best option.

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I hate most anything beach body.... I've done the work outs before and I honestly think the free ones on youtube are better.
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I look on either amazon or even ebay for dvds if you really want them. And as other people have said youtube is great for free workouts you can do at home.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I have tried a few BB workouts, some I liked and some I didn't. I hate "coaches" - especially the word "coach" when they are just salespeople. Stay away and never give your money to someone like that. As others have said, you have youtube, ebay and craigslist to look to for better prices on these items.
    -
    Youtube really is amazing lately for workout videos. Check out Fitness Blender, Jessica Smith and BodyFit by Amy. I mention the last because she just finished up a 4 week program that sounds like it might fit your needs.

Also if you like DVDs (which I do) collagevideo.com is a good site to check them out on, they have clips to watch and lots of reviews so you can get a good idea whether you'll like it before you buy.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    what are the qualifications and compensation as a beachbody coach?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    The only qualification is a willingness to hawk their wares to other people. They should really be called Beach Body salespeople. Not coaches.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

Qualifications: Can sell stuff to people and convince those people to sell stuff to other people and give you the money instead of keeping it.

Compensation: Same as Amway - whatever you sell generally pays to the person above you on the chain. You make money by recruiting other "coaches" and getting paid for their sales.

• Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    The only qualification is a willingness to hawk their wares to other people. They should really be called Beach Body salespeople. Not coaches.

This is why I don't like any of those types of things. I know a few people that are "coaches" for these types of products and not to sound mean but I am in better shape and way more knowledgeable about proper nutrition from just simply tracking calories and learning new workouts.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

Qualifications: Can sell stuff to people and convince those people to sell stuff to other people and give you the money instead of keeping it.

Compensation: Same as Amway - whatever you sell generally pays to the person above you on the chain. You make money by recruiting other "coaches" and getting paid for their sales.

so it's kind of like Amway or Mary Kay you purchase the products then you sale them?

edited *sell