Why Don't I Look Like I'm Losing Weight

Options
OMFGItzAndre
OMFGItzAndre Posts: 33 Member
edited March 2015 in Motivation and Support
I started working out back in 2013 I weigh about over 315 back then.I'm trying to get into the Navy and my weight requirements at 6.2 are 211 pounds.I just recently got on the scale and it shows I'm 221.6 pounds I notice I lost weight in lots of areas of my body but In certain areas I still am a fat S.O.B..when I take off my cloths by belly pretty much look like a pregnant women (no offence ladies) and I have fat thighs and *kitten*.

It's ridiculous I workout everyday for like an hour 1/2 and for some reason I'm not seeing results as I should I have a deadline to leave to the military before august then I'm kicked out of my parents folks house and It seems hopeless If i don't look the part no mater how much the weight scale says I won't be accepted into the service...

any thoughts,views and opinions on this matter people?

ga8tepuff6a4.png

here i am the left is my current about 221 and the right is when I was about 315

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    To lose weight you need to eat in a deficit, exercise is for health.
  • OMFGItzAndre
    edited March 2015
    Options
    bump
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm having trouble understanding the problem. You've lost almost 100 pounds, and from those pics, it shows, big time.

Why not just keep doing whatever it is that you've been doing?
  • shannonbun
    shannonbun Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    You definitely can tell you lost a lot of weight. For taller persons, weight loss isn't always as apparent as it is on someone shorter/smaller because we often distribute it easier. The Navy will focus on your weight as a requirement, but to "look the part" add in more strength training to bulk up and be sure to eat at a calorie deficit. Don't shortchange yourself, you really can tell you lost tons of weight :)
  • greenmm25
    greenmm25 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    you look great btw, and you can't really just target one spot but just keep going maybe try a new activity and that my just give you the bump you need to reach that ultimate goal. Again great work already!!!!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I'm having trouble understanding the problem. You've lost almost 100 pounds, and from those pics, it shows, big time.

I'm a wee bit confused myself. You really don't notice the difference in your two photos? I know sometimes we get caught up in seeing what we want to change and not what has already changed. Maybe that's what's going on with you at the moment? You look like half the person you were.

Great job, you look terrific!

I'm sorry you're frustrated, you've got until August, are you lifting weights...you've still got time!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    You look great. You are obviously putting in the effort. Unfortunately, as they keep telling me, you can't spot reduce. I have a big belly from having babies. I've lost a ton of inches everywhere else (even my upper arms which has always been a problem area for me.) All that did was make my tum look even bigger.

40lbs and a year has dropped me 2 shirt sizes but only 1 pant size. I've made an impact, but not as much in the stomach area as I'd like. Keep plugging away. You have time and only 10lbs to lose. The recruiters for the military aren't going to be ogling you with your clothes off. At least, I hope not.
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Try focusing more on fitness goals and healthy living activities that will complement weight loss. Challenge yourself beyond anything you've ever done.
  • OMFGItzAndre
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

I'm a wee bit confused myself. You really don't notice the difference in your two photos? I know sometimes we get caught up in seeing what we want to change and not what has already changed. Maybe that's what's going on with you at the moment? You look like half the person you were.

Great job, you look terrific!

I'm sorry you're frustrated, you've got until August, are you lifting weights...you've still got time!

Yes I said from the start of the post that I do notice the difference,However.... certain areas in my body gives me the mindset I don't.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    You look great...and have only 11lbs to go to meet the requirement. Not true that you wont qualify if you dont *look the part* not even sure what that means!! The military isnt looking for perfect bodies..as long as you fit the requirement, they will whip you into shape. They even have something for that..its called boot camp ;)

Seriously..when I joined, a good number of people were overweight. Six weeks later, everyone looked like a completely different person. Trust me...the military doesnt expect you to look like a soldier when you join...They put you through the process so that you can become one.

Don't stress, you've come this far already. Keep your eye on the goal..you will lose those last 11lbs by August. What happens after that is up to your drill sergeant.
  • OMFGItzAndre
    Options
    Yes I notice in the change size of cloths I wear I used to wear 4x now it's down to xl which is to me Super awesome.

to be honest if I didn't have a ridiculous fat belly I be more appreciated on my change but I can see my hidden abs which does get me some encouragement.

• OMFGItzAndre
    Options
    Dragn77 wrote: »
    You look great...and have only 11lbs to go to meet the requirement. Not true that you wont qualify if you dont *look the part* not even sure what that means!! The military isnt looking for perfect bodies..as long as you fit the requirement, they will whip you into shape. They even have something for that..its called boot camp ;)

Seriously..when I joined, a good number of people were overweight. Six weeks later, everyone looked like a completely different person. Trust me...the military doesnt expect you to look like a soldier when you join...They put you through the process so that you can become one.

Don't stress, you've come this far already. Keep your eye on the goal..you will lose those last 11lbs by August. What happens after that is up to your drill sergeant.

I really hope so for my sakes Its a dream for me to go into the service but of course I wan't to look like a super solider (super sailor).

Nothing wrong trying to look good on the side for the ladies :)
  • OMFGItzAndre
    Options
    Try focusing more on fitness goals and healthy living activities that will complement weight loss. Challenge yourself beyond anything you've ever done.

:) I try to change up my activity thank you.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,618 Member
    Options
    What kind of workouts are you doing? Are you doing any strength training? Building some muscle might help your body look more how you want it to.
  • OMFGItzAndre
    Options
    You look great. You are obviously putting in the effort. Unfortunately, as they keep telling me, you can't spot reduce. I have a big belly from having babies. I've lost a ton of inches everywhere else (even my upper arms which has always been a problem area for me.) All that did was make my tum look even bigger.

40lbs and a year has dropped me 2 shirt sizes but only 1 pant size. I've made an impact, but not as much in the stomach area as I'd like. Keep plugging away. You have time and only 10lbs to lose. The recruiters for the military aren't going to be ogling you with your clothes off. At least, I hope not.

Yeah these love handles are such a nuisance to me soon they will go away.
  • OMFGItzAndre
    edited March 2015
    Options
    What kind of workouts are you doing? Are you doing any strength training? Building some muscle might help your body look more how you want it to.

I started doing strength training by using my gyms ab crunch machine so far im doing 40 pounds on it and try to do 100 reps everyday when I attend

that also goes the same with chin/pull up assist machine I use that everyday it various on the weight I put I got to the point I can do at least 1 pull up without assitance.

I started incorporating smiths bench press machine and leg press machine.

that's about it for strength training I go down.

for cardio I do an hour on the treadmill and try to burn 1000 within an hour and do 5 miles within that time which I do.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I really hope so for my sakes Its a dream for me to go into the service but of course I wan't to look like a super solider (super sailor).

Have you already started the enlistment process? If so, then you have your recruiter to talk to right? They should be right there for you every step of the way here to help you with advice on what you need to enlist and what your requirements are to reach your goals.

If you havnt enlisted yet, I would go ahead and do so... that way you get that support, and also the actual information on what you need to be doing, as well as some idea of what you can expect in basic. (Unless they are like my recruiter who told me basic training was kind of like summer camp. LIAR! lmfao!!!)

Anyway, seriously, you cant be a super sailor, until you actually are in the environment and are trained to be one...and with that, you will also look like one. And the ladies do like a man in uniform. So get to enlisting. Dont wait until August.

I know when I joined...it was about 2 months between the time I signed up, to the time I signed "the dotted line" and was sent to basic training...and I was already fit and had everything I needed done squared away. Its just that the military is the govt..everything takes its own sweet time. So yeah, if you *must* be out of the house by Aug, plan ahead. Do it now.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

I started doing strength training by using my gyms ab crunch machine so far im doing 40 pounds on it and try to do 100 reps everyday when I attend

that also goes the same with chin/pull up assist machine I use that everyday it various on the weight I put I got to the point I can do at least 1 pull up without assitance.

I started incorporating smiths bench press machine and leg press machine.

that's about it for strength training I go down.

for cardio I do an hour on the treadmill and try to burn 1000 within an hour and do 5 miles within that time which I do.

That's a lot of cardio and a little strength training. You lost a lot of weight and you look great. Looking into a more serious strength training routine and following it will definitely change your body.
  • OMFGItzAndre
    Options

Have you already started the enlistment process? If so, then you have your recruiter to talk to right? They should be right there for you every step of the way here to help you with advice on what you need to enlist and what your requirements are to reach your goals.

If you havnt enlisted yet, I would go ahead and do so... that way you get that support, and also the actual information on what you need to be doing, as well as some idea of what you can expect in basic. (Unless they are like my recruiter who told me basic training was kind of like summer camp. LIAR! lmfao!!!)

Anyway, seriously, you cant be a super sailor, until you actually are in the environment and are trained to be one...and with that, you will also look like one. And the ladies do like a man in uniform. So get to enlisting. Dont wait until August.

I know when I joined...it was about 2 months between the time I signed up, to the time I signed "the dotted line" and was sent to basic training...and I was already fit and had everything I needed done squared away. Its just that the military is the govt..everything takes its own sweet time. So yeah, if you *must* be out of the house by Aug, plan ahead. Do it now.

unfortunately mam I spoke with them on a constant basis not much they can do for me just that once you get down to our weight standards or body fat when we can start the process.

So at this point I'm just been trying to get to their requirements so I can be measure again for like the 15th time haha.

I'm trying all different types of ways on how to lose this weight/look good even faster any advice can be helpful.