am I starving myself?

Options
124»

Replies

• monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I added that the diet pills are working so what's the point of tearing them down...

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    monikker wrote: »
    I added that the diet pills are working so what's the point of tearing them down...

Good for you... I also added that one should research medication before putting it into their body. What is your point? :huh:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    monikker wrote: »
    randomtai wrote: »
    I don't know. If I'm given a medication, I actually do research before putting it in my body. But that's just me *shrug*

Very informative comment.

She just said the pills are working for her, everybody. I know it's a shocker! Diet pills, ack!
    So do placebos in study groups.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Man I love that too OP! Oh I see you meant cockateiels!?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

I laughed out loud.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    ErmaGERD I feel like banging ny head against a wall at how glib you seem OP as to the true nature of your "diet pills", just as I was able to read for context ans discern what you actually love, it behooves you to type into google precisely from the name on the bottle what your Dr. gave you to avoid mispelling and misunderstandings.

In my experience, when your Dr. and boyfriend disagree on something it might be time to dump one of them. After googling if it turns out your"Dr." has indeed given you a diet pill for the sole purpose of suppressing your appetite BEFORE even giving you a chance with the nutritionist, I'd probably dump that guy.

But then again what do I know I love cockatiels :neutral_face:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Dnarules wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Zedeff wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Just wanted to giggle at the way the OP's name is cut off on the topics list.

Also ditch the diet pill and you can probably eat more and still lose.

Probably not.. at least not with my experience

Ditch the pill, save your money, buy more food and other delightful things.

You are unqualified to give this advice. MFP should delete posts giving untrained medical advice and ban repeat offenders. It's a dangerous practise that runs rampant here.

Nope. ^^^

OP, if you're eating between that 1800 and 2100 then I'd say you're not starving yourself. Just make sure you hit your protein and fat macronutrient minimums, eat your fruits and vegetables and make sure you construct a way of eating that is sustainable and that you enjoy.

Also, 8 lbs in the first couple of weeks is not uncommon when you first start trying to lose weight. Keep in mind that you likely lost some water weight and have less undigested food in your GI track. That should stable out. If you continue to lose weight at a faster tate than you desire then you can always adjust your intake.

Did you even read what the post was in reference to? A few people have been telling OP to ditch the medication without even knowing what it was. And none of us should be doing that.

Yea, I read it.

And from the MFP terms:
    THE SERVICE DOES NOT PROVIDE PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL SERVICES OR ADVICE; NO DOCTOR-PATIENT RELATIONSHIP
    MyFitnessPal provides the Services for informational purposes only. THE SERVICES DO NOT CONTAIN OR CONSTITUTE, AND SHOULD NOT BE INTERPRETED AS, MEDICAL ADVICE OR OPINION. MyFitnessPal is not a medical professional, and MyFitnessPal does not provide medical services or render medical advice. The Services are not a substitute for the advice of a medical professional, and the information made available on or through the Services should not be relied upon when making medical decisions, or to diagnose or treat a medical or health condition. If you require medical advice or services, You should consult a medical professional. YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES DOES NOT CREATE A DOCTOR-PATIENT RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN YOU AND MYFITNESSPAL.
    YOU HEREBY AGREE THAT, BEFORE USING THE SERVICES, YOU SHALL CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN, PARTICULARLY IF YOU ARE AT RISK FOR PROBLEMS RESULTING FROM EXERCISE OR CHANGES IN YOUR DIET.

So it's up to the individual member to make the correct decisions.

I absolutely agree with this.

If I say you ought to throw away those diet pills, I am not giving medical advice, I am just voicing my opinion based on my belief that diet pills are a waste of money. The recipient of my opinion gets to decide what they are going to do.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Zedeff wrote: »
    Just wanted to giggle at the way the OP's name is cut off on the topics list.

Also ditch the diet pill and you can probably eat more and still lose.

Probably not.. at least not with my experience

Ditch the pill, save your money, buy more food and other delightful things.

You are unqualified to give this advice. MFP should delete posts giving untrained medical advice and ban repeat offenders. It's a dangerous practise that runs rampant here.

Pot calling the kettle black. Feel free to start using OP's diet pills for her since they are unnecessary.

The pill is for GERD.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famotidine

OP said it was a diet pill, hence diet pill = 100% unnecessary. If she is taking medication for an actual medical condition, then that is different.

I have been tracking my food for a very long time and I have struggled with my weight all my life, and have tried loosing countless times in different ways and nothing seems to work.. I am not strong when it comes to telling myself no. With food anyways. The diet pill called Phentermine 15mg .. is helping me so much from eating large amount like I do. normally I can eat like 6 snacks a day big snacks. .. but now I have 3 small meals and 2 small snacks

It sounds to me like your doctor believes that the risk of taking this diet pill is less than the risks of weighing 400 pounds.

You are moderating your foods. The pill may be suppressing your appetite, but I have a feeling that your moderation of food is your hard work. You are the one who is doing this, not the diet pill.

I have never weighed 400 pounds, but my highest weight was 225 after my mother died when I was 23. Most of my teen/adult life, I carried 190 pounds on my 5 ft 5 frame. I ached, couldn't motivate myself, found it difficult to move around, and felt miserable. About 13 years ago I worked really hard with a gym trainer, who taught me about logging food and weight lifting, and I got down to 155. I maintained there for awhile, but then ended up gaining about 30 pounds back over about 3-5 years.

Then, about two years ago, I said I'd had enough. I found MFP and started reading, started logging, and started paying attention to those who were successful with weight loss. Flash forward one year--for the first time in my life I reached a healthy weight of 140 pounds. Flash forward one year and some odd months, which I have been maintaining my weight. This call came about from learning to weigh food, log, track calories, track exercise, and balancing it all out so that I eat to obtain the results I want. Before it was weight loss, now it's weight maintenance.

I don't do it perfectly at all the time. For example, today, I baked some chocolate chip cookies for when my niece and her children, who live two states away, stop by for a visit. Of course I ate some of that dough, and had some of the cookies, but I weighted and logged it. Yeah, it was good, it was way too much for my tastes, but I don't do this every day anymore. I can't do this every day anymore.

Be patient, tolerant, and kind with yourself. Don't allow yourself to rely on the pills to suppress your appetite. Eat foods higher in protein, some fat, and you will feel satiated. I encourage you to give yourself credit for working hard toward learning moderation and to continue all of your hard work. You can do this!

When it feels right for you, I encourage you to talk to your doctor about giving up the diet pills.

Good luck.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend says I'm starving myself for my size, is it true?

No.
  • BirdyWeirdy77
    BirdyWeirdy77 Posts: 47 Member
    Options

I love the bird cockateil I own one and he's just the best
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Hi.

1800 is a fine calorie load. As is 2100 at your weight. 2 pounds a week is a healthy goal to shoot for. More than that can be too aggressive, though people who are very overweight sometimes find they lose weight faster initially.

I am also on phentermine and Topomax also. Phentermine is a stimulant and appetite suppresant and Topomax is an anti-seizure medication that has appetite suppressant qualities. Topomax also helps dampen the stimulant properties of the stimulant effect of phentermine.

The diet pill Qysmia is phentermine/Topomax in a time-release pill. But it costs about $180 a month. Many doctors have been proscribing the generic equivalents but you have to take the phentermine first thing in the morning (so it burns off by night time so you can sleep) and you take the Topomax twice a day. Equivalent price is about $30 a month. Topomax is covered by my insurance - costs a few pennies - phentermine I pay out of pocket.

I am finding it very effective as an appetite suppressant, but do not particularly like the way the drug makes me feel. In the morning I am definitely jacked from the phentermine. I believe I am starting to get used to it 2 weeks in. But I felt a little "cloudy/agitated". It's almost like being buzzed with alcohol but with sharpened awareness rather than dulled. I'm not quite sure how to describe it. It is not, however, exactly pleasant. By lunch I'm on more of an even keel. Next time I see my doctor I'm going to see about a reduced dose.

Do not feel like a failure for using an appetite suppressant. The body fights to preserve fat stores by reducing metabolism and increasing hunger in many people. The only thing that trumps drugs for effectiveness in amount of weight lost and time it is kept off is bariatric surgery. Behavioral modification alone is dead last.

So do what you need to do to win.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Thanks ppl.. I see my diet person today. So I will follow my doctor and her as well.

There is little sense in following advice online if you are working with professionals. Obviously not all professionals are good. But you have to use your own judgement. If what they are telling you to do seems wrong, then get a second opinion. Do not mix their directions with comments from people online. If you want to get ideas online then make sure to discuss them with your doctors before following them.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options

I love the bird cockateil I own one and he's just the best

I have nothing constructive to add but felt I had to post a comment. On my screen (probably is different for everyone based on their computer/phone/whatever) your screen name is cutoff after 9 letters. I had to checkout the thread started by that user name. Made me laugh.