Gaining... Is there any such thing as 'bad' calories?

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    With a BMI of 13.5 I think you need to be eating ALL the food. Definitely get as much as you can from meat, vegetables, fruit, diary, and whole grains but don't be afraid to add in ice cream, pizza, cookies, or whatever you like.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Some food makes you feel great, other food makes you feel like crap. I think this is the common sense thought when people talk about good food and bad food.

Good and bad are moral judgements. No food should make you feel like crap unless you have medical issues.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Some food makes you feel great, other food makes you feel like crap. I think this is the common sense thought when people talk about good food and bad food.

I can assure you there is no food that makes me feel like crap.

No food.

... and I'm pretty sure if we slap-chopped it up and fed it down a feed tube while you were blind folded, you wouldn't be able to identify good or bad food any more reliably than random chance (modulo a severe allergic reaction)

slap-chop-3.jpg

• TrailBlazerMN
    Options
    Good and bad are moral judgements. No food should make you feel like crap unless you have medical issues.

You must be superhuman and unlike the majority of us. Congrats!
  • kazaargrandcru
    kazaargrandcru Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    No bad calories, just bad decisions.
  • TrailBlazerMN
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I'm usually in agreement with you but let me tell you, last weekend we wanted to eat out so I was searching online for the best burgers in NYC, it started snowing hard so we figured we'd stay in Queens and not drive to Manhattan. I found a spot that several sites over several years ranked it Top 5 burger here and it was in Queens. The burger was so greasy that the bottom of the bun was soaked, I peeled it off. The Mac n Cheese was so oily it left a film in your mouth. By the time we got home I was in the bathroom, and again, and again, and....well you get the picture.

Food made me feel bad. Contemplating writing a strongly worded letter.

Exactly. Besides, hasn't anyone seen Bridesmaids?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

You must be superhuman and unlike the majority of us. Congrats!

Sure whatever. Thanks for more useless posting.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    In my opinion, there are "empty" calories, such as with cake and cookies, and there are calories that you get from healthy foods. The ones you get from healthy foods are the ones that actually serve a nutritional purpose for your body. I don't think the healthy way to gain weight is to eat a bunch of unhealthy foods. I like to know that what goes in my body is helping me in many ways. So, I would suggest to double up on the more nutrient dense foods such as avacado, cheese, whole milk, nuts, and hummus.

There are no bad foods, just bad diets. Once youve reached your protein, fat, carb and vitamin and mineral requirements, like ndj1979 says, you don't get extra credit.

I'm more concerned that the OP isn't getting some kind of assistance with their illness, be it and ED or a physical one.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, there are "empty" calories, such as with cake and cookies, and there are calories that you get from healthy foods. The ones you get from healthy foods are the ones that actually serve a nutritional purpose for your body. I don't think the healthy way to gain weight is to eat a bunch of unhealthy foods. I like to know that what goes in my body is helping me in many ways. So, I would suggest to double up on the more nutrient dense foods such as avacado, cheese, whole milk, nuts, and hummus.

1 - the foods you labeled as empty have prtein, fats, and carbs in them so not sure how they are empty.
    2 - no one is suggesting getting 100% of your diet from cake, cookies, ice cream, etc
    3 - good luc, bulking on avocados, cheese, nuts, etc..

• Regaining_life
    Regaining_life Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    At 69lbs, you're very light even given that you are relatively short. Did you get light by just overall not being hungry, or do you tic ally fear "bad" foods? How do you feel about your relationship with food in general. It may be beneficial to speak to a therapist if you feel you have an unhealthy relationship with food. .

I was very unwell for a while last year and lost a lot of weight through just not really eating much at all because everything I ate, even if it was just soup, caused digestive distress and stomach ache. The problem is sorted now but I'm still very reluctant to eat certain foods

Are you currently receiving therapy?

No, therapy for what? I don't think I need it, no offence
    For possible ED issues.

I don't think that's necessary. Me not feeling comfortable eating 'so-called' bad foods is no different to vegetarians choosing not to eat meat IMO.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    At 69lbs, you're very light even given that you are relatively short. Did you get light by just overall not being hungry, or do you tic ally fear "bad" foods? How do you feel about your relationship with food in general. It may be beneficial to speak to a therapist if you feel you have an unhealthy relationship with food. .

I was very unwell for a while last year and lost a lot of weight through just not really eating much at all because everything I ate, even if it was just soup, caused digestive distress and stomach ache. The problem is sorted now but I'm still very reluctant to eat certain foods

For possible ED issues.

I don't think that's necessary. Me not feeling comfortable eating 'so-called' bad foods is no different to vegetarians choosing not to eat meat IMO.

there are no bad foods...and believing so is going to put you on the path to an unhealthy relationship with food...
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options

I remember back when I was going through chemo and my appetite was all sorts of screwed up, the doctors had no issue with jellybeans being a notable (but far from solitary or dominating) part of my diet. Sometimes, when there's a medical issue, the priority is simply getting down whatever calories you can.

As long as a food doesn't exacerbate whatever problems you have, you are likely clear to eat whatever you feel like.

• StephannieL
    StephannieL Posts: 198 Member
    Options

For possible ED issues.

I'm talking about you being 5 feet tall and weighing 69 lbs. That, you need help for.

If OP had something, like Crohn's disease, that could account for the loss. When my BF had active Crohn's there was a lot of food that he couldn't eat because of it and he ended up losing a lot of weight.
    There are several medical conditions that can unfortunately do that to a body. Not that I'm trying to diagnose it's just a thought.

Good luck OP and I hope that you are able to gain weight! :)

• AgentRoger
    AgentRoger Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think one thing we forget about is the toxins in the food/calories. It would seem to me if you eat foods with higher toxins then your body will have a harder time dealing with them and in turn harder time loosing fat. I also think that these select toxins will congregate to select areas of the body. I like the term "clean food."
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    AgentRoger wrote: »
    I think one thing we forget about is the toxins in the food/calories. It would seem to me if you eat foods with higher toxins then your body will have a harder time dealing with them and in turn harder time loosing fat. I also think that these select toxins will congregate to select areas of the body. I like the term "clean food."

Most people should avoid eating heavy metals. So, don't drink your dandruff shampoo or eat rat poison...
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    AgentRoger wrote: »

Please name said toxins.
    Also, this is the GAINING WEIGHT forum.
    The OP is severely underweight and is not concerned about loosing fat.