Butter vs Margerine

Options
124»

Replies

• Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Butter, no margarine. Just like sugar, honey, or any other supposed "bad" food. If you eat it within your daily allowance of calories it will not prevent you from losing weight. I choose to eat butter because of the taste, I have reduced the amount of butter I eat, mostly on toast or having an occasional fried egg. I definitely bake with butter--those go home with my children and grandchildren.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    zachbonner wrote: »

Modern margarines can be made from any of a wide variety of animal or vegetable fats, mixed with skim milk, salt, and emulsifiers.

So, that stuff I'm referring to *is* margarine and what people are discussing here? Or not?

Sorry I'm aware I sound very dim right now :confused:

Yes, people are using the word margarine to mean anything that pretends to be butter and isn't butter. Most likely because no matter what the exact ingredients of the spread are, they still don't really taste like butter.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    In Canada any spread that is not 100% butter must be labelled margarine.

I use unsalted butter in my baking and Becel on my toast.
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    You can't even get margarine in the UK. There's a good reason. Butter is the best.

Eh? Yes you can, I'm Scottish and I buy it all the time, you can get it in almost any shop that sells refrigerated foodstuffs!
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    In Canada any spread that is not 100% butter must be labelled margarine.

I use unsalted butter in my baking and Becel on my toast.

That seems almost like false advertising. Not that I can think of any reason someone would want real margarine, aside from reproducing some family recipe from the 70's, but it seems like they'd have a different name for it.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    You can't even get margarine in the UK. There's a good reason. Butter is the best.

Eh? Yes you can, I'm Scottish and I buy it all the time, you can get it in almost any shop that sells refrigerated foodstuffs!

It was that statement that really threw me lol :smiley:

I figured what I assumed was margarine wasn't actually margarine. And then all manner of confusion happened.

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    there is 2 types of marg. The hard stick margerines that typically still contain transfats (not all do however). I avoid those.

Margarine spreads- typically no transfats in the american brands, and lower in calories than margarine or butter. Many are advocated as "heart healthy"