PERSONAL TRAINER THAT'S NOT SO PERSONAL

Options
Ahmee2034
Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
OK, so, I hired a personal trainer. I'm about 60 pounds from my goal weight. I want to do this right this time! Anyway, I TOTALLY get the "kick my *kitten* Jillian Michaels" concept. I actually need that sometimes, we all do. But, my question is, my personal trainer seems to be intentionally trying to make it harder on me than it should be. I mean, I've checked with a few people, one of whom has actually run in the Boston Marathon and is a FREAK of a health nut, and she said that there is no way I should be hurting to the point of tears after over a week since my session. Then, I went to my last session, in pain and hardly able to move, hoping that she would help me with exercises that would help me work through the pain, stretching, yoga, etc. Anything to give me guidance. Well, she went off on me because I hadn't called her earlier to cancel my session, which I WASN'T there to cancel my session anyway, I was there to workout. She went into this tirade telling me that another person had cancelled their session for later that evening and that she doesn't understand my mindset that I would show up to workout hurting!!! People in the gym were staring at us! Then she says, "this is a professional relationship. I don't know WHAT is in your mind!" What should I do? I am still working out, running, etc. I'm STILL in pain OVER a week later...Where did I go wrong?

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Find a new trainer.

To be fair, after my first sessions with my trainer, I was sore for a long time. But there is a difference between soreness and pain. I'd find a trainer who I felt I could communicate better. I'd definitely not stick with someone who yells at me.
  • M_Garner
    M_Garner Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You pay money for someone to help you get to where you need to be; not belittle you or hurt you. If I were you, I would fire her and find someone with someone else. You do not want to go through everyday with her having it be like that. FInd someone else. :)
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    Tell her politely but firmly hat you'd like to terminate said professional relationship and get a refund for any sessions paid in advance.
    If she's less than forthcoming with the funds, continue to explain that, while you're aware that certain level of ache and discomfort is normal, you believe you may have sustained an injury under her guidance.
    Be polite, respectful but be assertive. Then go get a trainer who suits you.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    Tell her politely but firmly hat you'd like to terminate said professional relationship and get a refund for any sessions paid in advance.
    If she's less than forthcoming with the funds, continue to explain that, while you're aware that certain level of ache and discomfort is normal, you believe you may have sustained an injury under her guidance.
    Be polite, respectful but be assertive. Then go get a trainer who suits you.

^^^ agree
  • kizzyb1977
    kizzyb1977 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Nobody has any right to speak to you this way!!

Absolutely find a new trainer!
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Talk to the club manger and see if you can start over witha different trainer, without getting charged
  • bjune5
    bjune5 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    She is so fired.
    On to the next.
  • LuvtheCubs
    LuvtheCubs Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    First, fire her. Second go to club manager. Muscle soreness is fine for a few days. If you are in this much pain you may have hurt yourself. Did you see a doctor? Be your own advocate here and tell the trainer to go pound sand. She sucks.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    punch her in the throat and find another trainer.
  • Quattrone21
    Options
    Tell her to beat it... Trainers are there to help you and motivate you , not hurt you. They should push you to do a little more then you want but not to the point where it hurts a week later.
  • RachelMMtz
    Options
    LOL @JXNSMMA.... oh man I was thinking the same thing!
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Shes right it is a professional relationship and if she is unable to treat you with respect and dignity (i.e belittling you in a gym full of people) then you should definitely find a new trainer. She sounds like a nut. Maybe speak with the gym manager about your situation and see if they can match you up with someone who is more understanding and less of an a-hole.
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Miss_Hiker_Pants Posts: 229 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • jj2step
    jj2step Posts: 16 Member
    Options

ahahahah this made me giggle i agree hahha xx
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I think after biggest loser, there is often confusion on what is acceptable behavior between the trainer and trainee and the lines often get blurry. Obviously you are not motivated by her behavior so I would terminate this relationship but in the future, I would recommend discussing acceptable limits with your new trainer - just so everyone is on the same page. Regarding your pain, is it simply muscle soreness or is it more? You need to gauge if you should visit the Dr. - don't hesitate if you think you should. Things could get worse.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options

I 2nd this :D
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

^^^^^ this is my favorite answer

I work out with a trainer. I get sore and sometimes will hurt for a few days, but (1) never to the point where I'm in tears and (2) if I am that sore he adjusts my workout accordingly.
  • Leah_Alexis
    Leah_Alexis Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Find another trainer!
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Get another trainer. She should be for you not against you. And it should be about holistic wellness not just to kick your *kitten* in the gym. Sounds bad. I'm let her go.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Find a new trainer.

Amen. Agree with her and say, "You're right...this IS a professional relationship," continue with..."Sadly, YOU are not".