hair loss with 1200 calories

Options

Replies

• RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    My hair has been falling out also, and I eat between 1,000 and 1200 calories. I thought mine was from stress, but now I can stress cause I am not eating enough!!!!!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    *blink*

Well, if it started to fall out when you started starving yourself, I think the causation is pretty clear.
    starvation??? LMAO :laugh: 1200 calories is not starving. What an insult.

1200 calories is breakfast on some days....it's for the birds and if you're not at least NETting to 1200 it is likely you are not getting proper nutrition...lack of proper nutrition = malnutritioun = starving your body. "Starving" has nothing to do with whether you feel hungry or not....

Most women can eat far more and still lose weight at a decent clip...unless you're 4 ft nothin' and 80 years old you should be able to eat more. But whatevs...enjoy.
  • Kristi858
    Kristi858 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This is your body telling you something! EAT MORE! No one can survive long term on that little of calories. Feed your body, please!

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • whitlisd
    whitlisd Posts: 85
    Options
    Protein!! Make sure you are getting like 70 grams worth a day and eat a few more calories.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    hi m on 1200 calorie diet bt m losing my hair i eat healthy like oatmeal for breaky, veggies, chapatis, milk, cereals weetabix bt m losing hair. does any1 knw why? iv recently started dieting so dnt knw if its coz of dat

height 5'1"
    weight 139 pounds/63.2 kg

I work in International Humanitarian Aid and we figure that IF the lack of food is the reason for hair loss it is because the person had consistently ( 6 month plus ) eaten less than 600 calories a day. It takes a very long time on an extreme low cal diet before hair starts to fall out.. At 1200 calories, I would say it's stress, hormonal or other reasons, but I don't think it's the lack of nutrients, IF your diet is balanced.

What if OP isn't netting to 1200 though...if she's only grossing 1200 calories and doing **** tons of cardio, she could very well be netting 500-600 calories per day which would be a bad thing.
  • whitlisd
    whitlisd Posts: 85
    Options
    I have been told that you should not eat under 1200 otherwise you aren't getting proper nutrition. Try to aim for 1200-1500, otherwise your body goes into starvation mode.
  • SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    I was on a super low calorie low fat low carb program for about 12 weeks. Lost a ton of weight instantly... also lost my thick lovely hair. It didn't start coming back (even after quitting the low everything diet) for years until I started really watching my nutrition. It's definitely a sign that things aren't right. You should get it checked out.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I've also heard or read that a very low-fat diet (in addition to the low calorie) can cause you to shed hair too quickly. Your body needs healthy fats, such as olive oil, avocado, nuts, etc. I would not only eat more, but also eat more of the nutrition your body needs.
  • TNEKEIA
    TNEKEIA Posts: 12
    Options
    You may not be eating enough fats and proteins. Im on 1200-1300 with no hair loss. Try taking a biotin supplement.
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Hair loss is common in women who are low calorie, low fat diets. I would recommend adding healthy fats into your diet.
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Because 1200 calories is way too little for most people - you're starving, so your hair is falling out!
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    hi m on 1200 calorie diet bt m losing my hair i eat healthy like oatmeal for breaky, veggies, chapatis, milk, cereals weetabix bt m losing hair. does any1 knw why? iv recently started dieting so dnt knw if its coz of dat

height 5'1"
    weight 139 pounds/63.2 kg

You need protein and fat in your diet. This happened to me 10 years ago (lost 100 pounds in 9 months) and I wasn't eating enough protein and fat. Get rid of some of those carbs and replace with protein and fat. Did I mention protein and fat?? LOL!

1200 cals is enough, I'm lucky to reach 1000 most days and I'm doing great and lost 26 pounds in 2 months so far with no problems this time at all.
  • LouAnn71464
    Options
    I went through the same thing when I was in my early 20's. I went on a fast diet (Scarsdale) lost 70 pounds in 2 months. I went from 200 lbs. down to 130. I was losin
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    *blink*

Well, if it started to fall out when you started starving yourself, I think the causation is pretty clear.

1200 calories is breakfast on some days....it's for the birds and if you're not at least NETting to 1200 it is likely you are not getting proper nutrition...lack of proper nutrition = malnutritioun = starving your body. "Starving" has nothing to do with whether you feel hungry or not....

Most women can eat far more and still lose weight at a decent clip...unless you're 4 ft nothin' and 80 years old you should be able to eat more. But whatevs...enjoy.
    1200 calories is breakfast? did you ever wonder how you got to be overweight...?? that might be your answer.
  • confetti_blind
    confetti_blind Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    It takes about three to four months for your hair to begin to fall out following a "stressful" event (this can include poor diet, having an illness or even starting a contraception pill).

Think about whether anything significant changed 3-4 months ago?

It may be that your hair has entered a natural 'shedding' phase of its cycle.

Have a read of this article for more information: http://www.webmd.com/beauty/hair-health-11/hair-stress-effect?page=1
  • babydiego87
    Options
    Because 1200 calories is way too little for most people - you're starving, so your hair is falling out!
    sounds legit.

i wonder why all the starving children in africa have no hair...oh wait
  • LouAnn71464
    Options
    I went through the same thing when I was in my late early 20's. I went on a fast diet (Scarsdale) lost 70 pounds in 2 months. I went from 200 lbs. down to 130. I was losing so much hair I thought I had cancer. It was the scariest feeling. I was too embarrassed and to ashamed to tell my family. I went to the doctor and he checked my hair follicles (very healthy) then he asked if I was on a diet. I told him I was and told him how much weight I had lost. He told me I was not getting enough proteins in my diet and that I was eating too few calories. Once I upped my calories and my proteins my hair came back.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    *blink*

1200 calories is breakfast? did you ever wonder how you got to be overweight...?? that might be your answer.

I'm not overweight...but thanks...I like how everyone thinks this is My Starvation Pal or My Diet Pal...it's My FITNESS Pal. I was once upon a time overweight, but no longer...and I still eat 1200 calories for breakfast pretty easy. My wife by BTW is 5'2" and 38 years old and loses weight grossing around 1800-2000 calories and maintains around 2400...so like I said...enjoy your bird seed and what pretty much amounts to an ED. You most likely have no true concept of how many calories you could be enjoying.
  • babydiego87
    Options
    *blink*

I'm not overweight...but thanks...I like how everyone thinks this is My Starvation Pal or My Diet Pal...it's My FITNESS Pal. I was once upon a time overweight, but no longer...and I still eat 1200 calories for breakfast pretty easy. My wife by BTW is 5'2" and 38 years old and loses weight grossing around 1800-2000 calories and maintains around 2400...so like I said...enjoy your bird seed and what pretty much amounts to an ED. You most likely have no true concept of how many calories you could be enjoying.
    Please take a look at my diary and tell me where I'm eating 'bird seed' or not eating or having an Eating Disorder.

I'm not on a diet or starving so please take your judgemental crap elsewhere.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    what is breaky?