hair loss with 1200 calories

Options

Replies

• ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, talk to your doctor. BUT one question...are you getting enough 'healthy fats' in your diet? i.e. avacados, nuts, etc.?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    *blink*

Well, if it started to fall out when you started starving yourself, I think the causation is pretty clear.
    starvation??? LMAO :laugh: 1200 calories is not starving. What an insult.

1200 calories is breakfast on some days....it's for the birds and if you're not at least NETting to 1200 it is likely you are not getting proper nutrition...lack of proper nutrition = malnutritioun = starving your body. "Starving" has nothing to do with whether you feel hungry or not....

Most women can eat far more and still lose weight at a decent clip...unless you're 4 ft nothin' and 80 years old you should be able to eat more. But whatevs...enjoy.
    1200 calories is breakfast? did you ever wonder how you got to be overweight...?? that might be your answer.

I'm not overweight...but thanks...I like how everyone thinks this is My Starvation Pal or My Diet Pal...it's My FITNESS Pal. I was once upon a time overweight, but no longer...and I still eat 1200 calories for breakfast pretty easy. My wife by BTW is 5'2" and 38 years old and loses weight grossing around 1800-2000 calories and maintains around 2400...so like I said...enjoy your bird seed and what pretty much amounts to an ED. You most likely have no true concept of how many calories you could be enjoying.
    Please take a look at my diary and tell me where I'm eating 'bird seed' or not eating or having an Eating Disorder.

I'm not on a diet or starving so please take your judgemental crap elsewhere.

For starters, you're getting very little protein...only about 50 grams. Also, your diet seems to be pretty void of vegetables and fruit...lots of junk/snacky food, etc. I doubt you get 100% of your vitamins and minerals...except maybe sodium, you probably have that covered.

Again..."starving" has nothing to do with whether you're hungry or not...it's about proper nutrition. Anyway, done caring...enjoy your "journey"
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Because 1200 calories is way too little for most people - you're starving, so your hair is falling out!
    sounds legit.

i wonder why all the starving children in africa have no hair...oh wait

Ever been to Africa? Ever held on of those babies in your arms? I already know the answer, its NO, you haven't. Know how I know you haven?. Because of your ignorant comment. Well I have been there, more than once and I have held those babies in my arms and hair loss is just one of many problems those malnourished children have. You really need to think before you take a reach like this to justify your position.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    *blink*

Well, if it started to fall out when you started starving yourself, I think the causation is pretty clear.

1200 calories is breakfast on some days....it's for the birds and if you're not at least NETting to 1200 it is likely you are not getting proper nutrition...lack of proper nutrition = malnutritioun = starving your body. "Starving" has nothing to do with whether you feel hungry or not....

Most women can eat far more and still lose weight at a decent clip...unless you're 4 ft nothin' and 80 years old you should be able to eat more. But whatevs...enjoy.
    1200 calories is breakfast? did you ever wonder how you got to be overweight...?? that might be your answer.

I'm not overweight...but thanks...I like how everyone thinks this is My Starvation Pal or My Diet Pal...it's My FITNESS Pal. I was once upon a time overweight, but no longer...and I still eat 1200 calories for breakfast pretty easy. My wife by BTW is 5'2" and 38 years old and loses weight grossing around 1800-2000 calories and maintains around 2400...so like I said...enjoy your bird seed and what pretty much amounts to an ED. You most likely have no true concept of how many calories you could be enjoying.
    Please take a look at my diary and tell me where I'm eating 'bird seed' or not eating or having an Eating Disorder.

I'm not on a diet or starving so please take your judgemental crap elsewhere.

For starters, you're getting very little protein...only about 50 grams. Also, your diet seems to be pretty void of vegetables and fruit...lots of junk/snacky food, etc. I doubt you get 100% of your vitamins and minerals...except maybe sodium, you probably have that covered.

Again..."starving" has nothing to do with whether you're hungry or not...it's about proper nutrition. Anyway, done caring...enjoy your "journey"
    I get plenty of protein for me thanks. I'm a vegetarian so I don't eat meat at all. I eat plenty of vegetables and fruit BEING a vegetarian. please stop talking
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    you need to check your iron levels and thyroid.

This. I had the same issue, started taking iron supplements AFTER WATCHING MY MACROS AND SEEING I WAS CONSISTENTLY LOW. Hair loss stopped.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    you need to check your iron levels and thyroid.

This. I had the same issue, started taking iron supplements AFTER WATCHING MY MACROS AND SEEING I WAS CONSISTENTLY LOW. Hair loss stopped.
    iron defiency is a very big cause of hair loss. id recommend OP to stop listening to starvation nuts and go visit a HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONAL and have some blood tests done. im willing to bet your deficient in iron.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    *blink*

I'm interested to see how far you get in life, thinking ^^^THAT^^^ was a legitimate insult....
  • KAS0917
    KAS0917 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me that on 1200 calorie diet...the reason I was losing hair was because of not enough fat in my diet....not because of the low calorie amount. Now I am sure you will find other doctors who say different but that's what mine told me!!

I had the same problem for a time. I was eating more calories, but almost all fat free stuff and wasn't getting enough fats and it made my hair loss increase much more than normal, and it wasn't shiny and healthy looking. Once I added fats back it got much better.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    *blink*

:noway: Based on TDEE, her BMR (base metabolic rate), a.k.a. BARE MINIMUM FOR BASIC SURVIVAL & ORGAN FUNCTION is 1446 calories. Not an insult.
  • KatC_88
    KatC_88 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You may also want to check on your thyroid! My hair quit growing and was thinning out ALOT, but it was my thyroid was not working correctly. Its not very dangerous but if left alone can contribute to some really bad conditions.

Good luck!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Eat more fat and protein. Eat less refined carbs (those cereals are like eating sugar). Eat more calories. Eat real food.
  • carakit
    carakit Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I agree with others def. see your doctor. It could be related to thyroid issues. I have had the same issue and it was my thyroid.
  • ElizabethLovesFood
    ElizabethLovesFood Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    If you dont get enough omega 3 fatty acids will cause hair loss consult with doctor i have hair loss issues due to hormone defiency and menopause...could be due to a serious health issue doubt its related to calorie intake
  • MaydayParadeGirl
    MaydayParadeGirl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I've gone eating 1200 calories a day before and I didn't lose my hair other than the normal shedding that I get from having super thick hair. There are SO many things that can cause hair loss though and they differ from person to person. You really want to talk to a doctor to see what it is that is causing it. I know for a fact when I get super stressed my hair falls out, and I tend to stress when I'm putting myself on a diet sot hey kind of tie together. You could also have some kind of medical issue that should get looked at. You don't want to wait too long and end up losing more hair that could have been saved. At the same time until you can get to a doctor if you do think you're losing the hair because of the calorie intake, which it'd probably be mroe of a certain nutrient that you aren't getting, I would, in your shoes, maybe up the calorie intake a little and see if it helps. Again your ultimate idea should be to talk to a doctor or professional because you really don't want to end up getting ill if it is something more than the intake of food
  • Love_Is_My_Fuel
    Love_Is_My_Fuel Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Was trying to help you out by looking at your diary but it's empty. Your probably not "netting" enough calories in the day. Your calories consumed - calorie burns should be close to 1200 calories. If the reason why your losing hair is because of lack of calories...imagine what else is being malnourished inside your body. EAT MORE LOSE MORE WEIGHT!! Good luck!
  • frizbeemom
    frizbeemom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You can do a 1200 calorie diet successfully. I am much taller and eat 1400-1500 most days. However, I eat a very plants-based diet, along with some fish/seafood/eggs, but I eat very little to no sugar or flour, or processed crap that comes in a box or a bag. That gives you a larger volume of food for less calories than the standard American diet, and I'd wager I get more nutrition as well. I also have a much higher percentage of protein and healthy fats in my diet. Without seeing a few days of your daily food journal, I can't really guess if your hair loss is due to too little nutrition on a LCD or simply needs a medical doctor's opinion from other issues. I would get it checked out, as well as logging your food and reviewing your macro and micronutrients.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    You may also want to check on your thyroid! My hair quit growing and was thinning out ALOT, but it was my thyroid was not working correctly. Its not very dangerous but if left alone can contribute to some really bad conditions.

Good luck!

Definitely a possibility. If you aren't eating enough and the body starts sensing "starvation" the thyroid will down-regulate and you can suffer from a number low hypothyroid symptoms. Don't worry about calories, worry about nutrition. You need to eat more for nutrition. There is no internal calorie counter and a calorie of protein is not the same as a calorie of carbohydrate which is not the same as a calorie of fat.

And a dysfunctional thyroid can be dangerous: http://chriskresser.com/thyroid

Best thing I ever did: Mark's Daily Apple and Primal Blueprint. Everyone my age is heading downhill (42 years old) and I'm CHARGING UPHILL AGAIN!!
  • nshidi
    nshidi Posts: 10
    Options
    You need to get all the needed minerals, vitamins and EFA (Essential Fatty Acids - Omegas) daily since our foods today due to depleted soils simply do not provide it to us. I am a Youngevity Rep and can help you get started if you are interested. Please visit www.gcnminerals.com You can click on the GCNLive tab to Listen to some great radio talk shows like Bright Side Ben by Pharmacist Ben Fuchs who talks about nutrition, Dead Doctors Dont Lie by Dr. Joel Wallach, Fire Your MD Now by Dr. Peter Glidden all great shows for health, and recovery. For hair loss, Dr. Wallach and Dr. Glidden recommend, the Healthy Start Pack and Selenium in appropriate dose for body weight.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Hair loss is a sign of malnutrition. Your "healthy" diet seems devoid of fat and protein. Processed grains are not necessarily the healthiest food to base your entire diet on. And, eat more food.

Did I mention fat!? Eat animals (fish are animals too), eggs, avocados, coconuts, ghee, etc. You need some nutrients desperately.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    This was happening to me when I was doing 1200. I was extremely protein deficient. You need to go see your doctor to verify if this us also what is happening. If so, work on raising your protein macro. Check out the Eat Train Progress group. They have a post about how to figure out what your macro should be about.

I know I've had to add Optimum Nutrition Gold Whey Idolates to help me up my protein. I'm working hard on getting a minimum of 100g a day.