help me I just want to give up!

Options
My first week calorie counting I have set the app to lose 2lbs per week so I am on 1280per day I did that I burned 1400 in the gym my body is killing me yet I only lost 2oz I feel like givving up

Replies

• rayangel07
    Options
    Just hang in there. Working toward your goals aren't suppose to be easy. You will be so proud of yourself if you stick this through. Just 2 pounds every now and then adds up after a while!
  • meloditaDk
    meloditaDk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you could start with 1 pound per week instead? And when your motivation is back then go back to 2 pounds per week?
  • spacelump
    spacelump Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    The crappy part about a healthy lifestyle is that it takes time and we always think the change should come sooner. I've spent a month working out 5-7 times a week, eating very well 85% of the time and yet, I've only lost a pound. But my body has changed! Pictures show me this, the scale does not, but is finally beginning to move.

If you really want this, stick to it. I promise changes will come if you are taking in less than you put out. In the beginning, our bodies hang on to more water if working out. Also, weight loss isn't linear.

Don't give up. Dedicate to six weeks and then decide.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Also make sure your logging is accurate. Be very meticulous with food measuring (use a food scale preferably ) and verify the calories and nutrition info in the food database. Sometimes it's wrong!

Also do not eat back all of your exercise calories as MFP overestimates how many calories you burn during exercise. I usually take about half of what MFP gives me.

Your body is on its own timeframe. Also keep in mind you could have lost but still be retaining water esp if you ate something high in sodium.

Finally make sure you are weighing yourself at the same time in the same clothing and under the same conditions...I always weigh first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom, in my underwear. If I weigh later after I've had anything to eat or drink I will weigh more due to what I've just consumed. Also clothing makes a huge difference. That's why I weigh in my undies.

Don't give up. You've only just begun. Also make sure 1280 isn't too low for you. I eat about 1350 and am "just" satisfied.

• Lady_Lamp
    Options
    If your burning 1300 calories at gym you're probably already creating a lot of muscle already. Muscle weighs more than fat. I've seen people diet and workout for months and they hardly lose a pound but you can see the transformations in their bodies. I'm no pro- not even close- but don't give up!! Keep going and suddenly you'll see it all starting to fall into place!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    My first week calorie counting I have set the app to lose 2lbs per week so I am on 1280per day I did that I burned 1400 in the gym my body is killing me yet I only lost 2oz I feel like givving up

With only 14 lbs to lose, set you goal to 0.5 to 1 lb per week, and start by eating half your calories back from exercise. Make sure you are accurately logging, an dbe patient.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Lady_Lamp wrote: »
    If your burning 1300 calories at gym you're probably already creating a lot of muscle already. Muscle weighs more than fat. I've seen people diet and workout for months and they hardly lose a pound but you can see the transformations in their bodies. I'm no pro- not even close- but don't give up!! Keep going and suddenly you'll see it all starting to fall into place!

No she isn't.

OP, if this is your first week exercising then you're probably retaining water to repair your muscles, which can mask fat loss. My first two weeks I gained two pounds, and then it started dropping. Keep at it, make sure you're logging everything accurately, and it will drop.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    i would totally chalk it up to water retention. especially if your new to intense exercise. sometimes it takes a few weeks for it to pass. so give it time. i know if i have lifted weights then im going to 'gain' one or two lbs for a few days. it can be tough when u feel u have worked so hard but it will show. with so little to lose it will also take longer than someone who say has 100lbs to lose
  • dominique2549
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Also make sure your logging is accurate. Be very meticulous with food measuring (use a food scale preferably ) and verify the calories and nutrition info in the food database. Sometimes it's wrong!

Also do not eat back all of your exercise calories as MFP overestimates how many calories you burn during exercise. I usually take about half of what MFP gives me.

Your body is on its own timeframe. Also keep in mind you could have lost but still be retaining water esp if you ate something high in sodium.

Finally make sure you are weighing yourself at the same time in the same clothing and under the same conditions...I always weigh first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom, in my underwear. If I weigh later after I've had anything to eat or drink I will weigh more due to what I've just consumed. Also clothing makes a huge difference. That's why I weigh in my undies.

Don't give up. You've only just begun. Also make sure 1280 isn't too low for you. I eat about 1350 and am "just" satisfied.

Thanks so much for all your help I will try and yes I have noticed I am going to bed with my tummy rumbling and I did wonder if I was eating enough I work in a cafe so I am on my feet and running around all day.
  • dominique2549
    Options
    My first week weigh in was 141.8 lbs and when I finished week one I dropped to 139.2 lbs now I'm at week two and I'm up 140.6 lbs. I got very frustrated today because I've been stuck in the 140s lbs and I want to get past it. Don't give up....I'm not giving up. I'm going to try and eat small meals and snacks every 3 hours. Maybe it's my metabolism being slow and I need to get it going. I've too have been under my calorie intake but I gained a pound. Just keep at it...we'll get there eventually.

I am 154.2 id like to be around 140 or little less
  • dominique2549
    Options
    spacelump wrote: »
    The crappy part about a healthy lifestyle is that it takes time and we always think the change should come sooner. I've spent a month working out 5-7 times a week, eating very well 85% of the time and yet, I've only lost a pound. But my body has changed! Pictures show me this, the scale does not, but is finally beginning to move.

If you really want this, stick to it. I promise changes will come if you are taking in less than you put out. In the beginning, our bodies hang on to more water if working out. Also, weight loss isn't linear.

Don't give up. Dedicate to six weeks and then decide.

Thankyou I am glad im not the only one not seeing much on the scales I thought domething was wrong with me...
  • wizzybeth
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My first week weigh in was 141.8 lbs and when I finished week one I dropped to 139.2 lbs now I'm at week two and I'm up 140.6 lbs. I got very frustrated today because I've been stuck in the 140s lbs and I want to get past it. Don't give up....I'm not giving up. I'm going to try and eat small meals and snacks every 3 hours. Maybe it's my metabolism being slow and I need to get it going. I've too have been under my calorie intake but I gained a pound. Just keep at it...we'll get there eventually.

I am 154.2 id like to be around 140 or little less

Okay so being so close to your goal, you should definitely not expect to do it in a couple of weeks - slow and steady. Probably work on losing 1/2
    lb a week - that will allow you to eat more calories too, and you won't be so hungry either... :)

• dominique2549
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

No she isn't.

OP, if this is your first week exercising then you're probably retaining water to repair your muscles, which can mask fat loss. My first two weeks I gained two pounds, and then it started dropping. Keep at it, make sure you're logging everything accurately, and it will drop.

I am being very carefully weighing everything on digital scales.i know I need to drink more water I am not a good drinker of any fluids
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

No she isn't.

I am being very carefully weighing everything on digital scales.i know I need to drink more water I am not a good drinker of any fluids

That right there could be part of the problem! You may very well be retaining water. If you don't like plain water, try it with some lemon juice in it, or try flavored waters, hot tea, etc. You do need to stay properly hydrated ESP. if you are working out!

• triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Get into a routine.
    1. Measure your food DON'T estimate anything
    2. Don't believe the calorie count on the machines at the gym they are always off by a lot. Divide whatever you think you burned in half and then don't eat back more than half of that.
    3. Drink lots of water and up your protein and fiber. This will not make you lose weight but it will make the cravings more bearable.
    4. Don't cheat don't quit don't make excuses. If you even think you might be making an excuse then you need to not do whatever it was you were planning to do.

Examples:
    I should eat something so that I do not go into starvation mode so I might as well eat here at <greasy fast food>
    I am sore from yesterday so I should really take it easy today
    I sneezed twice this morning I might be coming down with something I should skip the gym and get something comforting to eat
    I really don't get to go out with the girls often, I should try to enjoy myself and have a mudslide and some potato skins chased by molten chocolate cake
    I haven't eaten that much today so it wouldn't be so bad to eat this entire quart of Ben and Jerry's

Science is on your side. You cannot eat less than you burn and not lose weight. It is not physically possible. You can retain water for a few days and there is a very slight difference in muscle vs fat weight but both of these right themselves on the scale fairly quickly.
  • dominique2549
    Options

Finally make sure you are weighing yourself at
    triciab79 wrote: »
    Get into a routine.
    1. Measure your food DON'T estimate anything
    2. Don't believe the calorie count on the machines at the gym they are always off by a lot. Divide whatever you think you burned in half and then don't eat back more than half of that.
    3. Drink lots of water and up your protein and fiber. This will not make you lose weight but it will make the cravings more bearable.
    4. Don't cheat don't quit don't make excuses. If you even think you might be making an excuse then you need to not do whatever it was you were planning to do.

Examples:
    I should eat something so that I do not go into starvation mode so I might as well eat here at <greasy fast food>
    I am sore from yesterday so I should really take it easy today
    I sneezed twice this morning I might be coming down with something I should skip the gym and get something comforting to eat
    I really don't get to go out with the girls often, I should try to enjoy myself and have a mudslide and some potato skins chased by molten chocolate cake
    I haven't eaten that much today so it wouldn't be so bad to eat this entire quart of Ben and Jerry's

Science is on your side. You cannot eat less than you burn and not lose weight. It is not physically possible. You can retain water for a few days and there is a very slight difference in muscle vs fat weight but both of these right themselves on the scale fairly quickly.

Thankyou some much I will bare in mind all of these things and I will be sticking to it and staying focused.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    It took your body many months or even years to add the 14 lbs your trying to lose.

The less you have to lose, the more difficult it is.

To do it properly, change settings and expectations

Do you give up this easily on other things that don't happen automatically in your favor with other parts of your life?

One week, :huh:
  • dominique2549
    Options
    It took your body many months or even years to add the 14 lbs your trying to lose.

The less you have to lose, the more difficult it is.

To do it properly, change settings and expectations

Do you give up this easily on other things that don't happen automatically in your favor with other parts of your life?

One week, :huh:

No I dont but I have spent months tryin to lose some weight and I just cant seem to crack It I will do this I know I can
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    the first two weeks, my weight went down a tad, back up, down a tad, back up, and so on until I think my body figured out this is the new deal. Then weight started a nice downward trend. But it was stubborn at the beginning. You have to realize it's a shock to your body to suddenly stop feeding it so many calories. It will respond appropriately if you stick with the program.

Also, body weight fluctuates up and down a few pounds within a day, so you have to do this long enough to see a real trend. A week is not long enough. From day to day, weight can go up and down a little, even when you're on the right track. I hate saying it, but patience. We have to take the long view. (unless you're not counting accurately or what others have mentioned - then that has to be fixed)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    two pounds per week?? burning 1400 calories in the gym in one day??? jesus christ.