Weight loss stalls

Options
I've been in a bit of a stall for a while. I'm pretty confident in my logging, though my diary may not look it because of the nature of some the entries being cups (I weigh out equivalencies in grams, erring on the side of caution). I weigh all my solids and measure all my liquids. All home made recipes are weighed to the gram and portioned. I exercise when I can (I have chronic migraines and they have been out of control lately and exercise aggravates them.)

I'm just looking for been there done that stories. How long do stalls normally last?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Mine last 2 - 3 weeks, regularly - I only really lose weight every 2-3 weeks tbh - but that's hormonal

How long has yours been? your health / stress with health can affect it I'll bet
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I had hit a new weight low then my weight went back up after that (I don't log water weight gains) and it's been bouncing around those points for three weeks now.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I had hit a new weight low then my weight went back up after that (I don't log water weight gains) and it's been bouncing around those points for three weeks now.

That's so familiar to me. Whenever I hit a new low, I do a cautious "yay!" but know that I'll be up the next day.
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I had the same thing happen to me for a couple of weeks. So I played with my macros a little bit by increasing my protein and reducing my carbs and keeping a carful watch on my sodium intake. After a week of doing so I started losing weight again.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

That's so familiar to me. Whenever I hit a new low, I do a cautious "yay!" but know that I'll be up the next day.

This time it's really been annoying, especially since I felt pretty good after that point and did some work with weights a couple of days and put on even more water weight.

• Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I exercise when I can (I have chronic migraines and they have been out of control lately and exercise aggravates them.)
    Have you considered light exercises like walking/biking etc?
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    avvgromano wrote: »
    I exercise when I can (I have chronic migraines and they have been out of control lately and exercise aggravates them.)
    Have you considered light exercises like walking/biking etc?

Yeah, even those are no good. I know the methods for trying to circumvent migraine with exercise. They don't work. Unfortunately, I have a low-grade migraine most of the time these days. Any activity sets it off into high gear these days. I've already been through two intervention protocols with no relief. I'm under treatment with one of the top migraine clinics in the country, thankfully.

• dragonmaster69
    dragonmaster69 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I completely get you on the migraine part. I've had them since I was 5 years old and I was getting at least 2 or 3 a week before starting medication. Medication worked relatively well until recently. There are days I don't even want to get up, so why would I want to work out! The Last week I had a low-grade migraine and I still went to the gym....looking back, not such a bright idea because it just made it more intense, but it's hard to live my life with a constant headache. I'm sure you understand that. Just keep going <3
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    I completely get you on the migraine part. I've had them since I was 5 years old and I was getting at least 2 or 3 a week before starting medication. Medication worked relatively well until recently. There are days I don't even want to get up, so why would I want to work out! The Last week I had a low-grade migraine and I still went to the gym....looking back, not such a bright idea because it just made it more intense, but it's hard to live my life with a constant headache. I'm sure you understand that. Just keep going <3

BTDT with going to the gym with a low-grade one and having it bite me back! I'm on a protocol of staggered 3-month injections of both botox and nerve blocks, so I should be sorted, but no go. I've been hospitalized for mine before when the pain wouldn't break, I really don't want to do that again.

Hope you get some relief soon!

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I've seen up to 3-4 weeks in clients. With clients who begin a calorie deficit while simultaneously beginning an exercise program I've seen stalls upwards of 6 weeks.

That being said, whether or not I'd make an adjustment to intake or activity really depends on a number of factors. I'll also add that I often make minimal changes with clients and in at least some of those cases it results in weight loss greater than what would be expected when looking at the calories.

So for example I'll pull away 15-25g carbohydrates and someone may go from a stall to losing .5-1lb/week even though I hadn't pulled away 250-500 cals.

I also tend to see longer stalls/plateaus in females as well as greater fluctuations.

Have you looked at your average weight? So for example take your previous 4 weeks weigh ins and run a rolling average over 7 days and see how that changes over time.
  • PeachyCarol
    edited March 2015
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I've seen up to 3-4 weeks in clients. With clients who begin a calorie deficit while simultaneously beginning an exercise program I've seen stalls upwards of 6 weeks.

That being said, whether or not I'd make an adjustment to intake or activity really depends on a number of factors. I'll also add that I often make minimal changes with clients and in at least some of those cases it results in weight loss greater than what would be expected when looking at the calories.

So for example I'll pull away 15-25g carbohydrates and someone may go from a stall to losing .5-1lb/week even though I hadn't pulled away 250-500 cals.

I also tend to see longer stalls/plateaus in females as well as greater fluctuations.

Have you looked at your average weight? So for example take your previous 4 weeks weigh ins and run a rolling average over 7 days and see how that changes over time.

Overall, the whole last three weeks of February were fairly static on average. I already moderate my carbs (and keep my protein high) to manage the fatigue that comes with a couple of medical conditions I have. It would be hard for me to lower them since I'm a vegetarian and most of them aren't from extraneous starches, but I'll see what I can do over the next week since I'm planning menus today.

• Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    That happens to me sometimes and I don't even count it as a stall. I'll tend to get a sudden drop downwards, but then go up and hover again before coming down "properly". I find it helps to weigh daily and look at trends and averages over weeks/months - I think you get a better idea of whether you're making progress or not.

Sorry about your migraines - that sounds bad. I hope you get it sorted.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Vailara wrote: »
    That happens to me sometimes and I don't even count it as a stall. I'll tend to get a sudden drop downwards, but then go up and hover again before coming down "properly". I find it helps to weigh daily and look at trends and averages over weeks/months - I think you get a better idea of whether you're making progress or not.

Thanks. I do weigh daily. And the trend is that I've been pretty much stagnant since around the 7th of February. I hit a lower point since then, but bounced back up to there and have been pretty much playing with those same 2-3 pounds ever since.

Side Steel gave me some hope that I might see the end soon, given what he's observed with his clients.

• astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    It has happened to me and I hate it; causes me all kinds of stress. I don't think it's ever been longer than a week but my rate of loss changes dramatically. For some reason the scale likes to stick at certain numbers. I cautiously would say I have moved out of it because I've seen consistent losses the last few weeks. But I was relatively flat for more than a month. Some notable changes were that I changed from 4 days of cardio for 45 minutes to 3 days of cardio for 60 mins. Not sure if it's related but the scale started moving more. I know that won't help you since you are limited in working out. I also started taking vitamins and supplements regularly. Fiber, calcium magnesium (I have GERD), B12, chia seeds, culturelle. Again, not sure if this is why but the scale is moving. I also notably stopped "worrying" about it. I really think the more you look at the scale the less it seems like it's moving. Good luck. Hope your stall ends soon.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options

Thanks. I do weigh daily. And the trend is that I've been pretty much stagnant since around the 7th of February. I hit a lower point since then, but bounced back up to there and have been pretty much playing with those same 2-3 pounds ever since.

Side Steel gave me some hope that I might see the end soon, given what he's observed with his clients.

This is just my experience, but I don't find three weeks is long enough. If I look at February, I was apparently static for most of the month, going up and down a little but always returning to the same point. But over a longer period (two or three months), I can see that I'm steadily losing. This might be just because I like to have quite a small deficit, so it's slow loss which gets "lost" in the daily fluctuation. I don't know if that might be the case for you? Anyway, good luck :smile:
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

This is just my experience, but I don't find three weeks is long enough. If I look at February, I was apparently static for most of the month, going up and down a little but always returning to the same point. But over a longer period (two or three months), I can see that I'm steadily losing. This might be just because I like to have quite a small deficit, so it's slow loss which gets "lost" in the daily fluctuation. I don't know if that might be the case for you? Anyway, good luck :smile:

Thanks. I might feel that way were I closer to goal, but I've still got 60 pounds to lose. It's not like my loss should be slowed down so much.

• sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    How much of a caloric deficit are you in? It may be leptin levels are too low. You can stimulate fat burning with a refeed once or twice a week. Essentially increasing your carbohydrate intake to a very high amount for one day, lowering your fats to around 20g and keeping protein relatively high. Your calories will increase to slightly above maintenance, (anywhere from 250-500 cals). This should spike ur leptin level and ur body will begin to burn fat more rapidly... Just a suggestion.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    How much of a caloric deficit are you in? It may be leptin levels are too low. You can stimulate fat burning with a refeed once or twice a week. Essentially increasing your carbohydrate intake to a very high amount for one day, lowering your fats to around 20g and keeping protein relatively high. Your calories will increase to slightly above maintenance, (anywhere from 250-500 cals). This should spike ur leptin level and ur body will begin to burn fat more rapidly... Just a suggestion.

Hmmm... above maintenance? I've heard of refeeding at maintenance for longer periods, but I didn't think that applied in cases like this. I'm at a 500 calorie deficit, though I usually come a bit below my calorie allowance. I don't have much of an appetite due to pain levels most days. It would be interesting to get some more input on this approach. Thanks.

• Angiefit4life
    Angiefit4life Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I look at your diary everyday and you are doing fantastic logging. Are you taping yourself? I know when I feel like I am going nowhere I pull out the tape:) Also take pictures! Again you are doing great just hang in there!
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    amwcnw wrote: »
    I look at your diary everyday and you are doing fantastic logging. Are you taping yourself? I know when I feel like I am going nowhere I pull out the tape:) Also take pictures! Again you are doing great just hang in there!

Thanks :smile: I have a pair of jeans that I use as my barometer. They're more reliable than taping, since I never measure myself consistently. They have remained fitting me the same. NSV that they fit me well fresh out of the dryer, but grrrr that they're not super loose yet.