Replies

• Angiefit4life
    Angiefit4life Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    They will get there:)
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    How much of a caloric deficit are you in? It may be leptin levels are too low. You can stimulate fat burning with a refeed once or twice a week. Essentially increasing your carbohydrate intake to a very high amount for one day, lowering your fats to around 20g and keeping protein relatively high. Your calories will increase to slightly above maintenance, (anywhere from 250-500 cals). This should spike ur leptin level and ur body will begin to burn fat more rapidly... Just a suggestion.

Hmmm... above maintenance? I've heard of refeeding at maintenance for longer periods, but I didn't think that applied in cases like this. I'm at a 500 calorie deficit, though I usually come a bit below my calorie allowance. I don't have much of an appetite due to pain levels most days. It would be interesting to get some more input on this approach. Thanks.

Here's what I use for my refeeds:

Calories = (Current calories x .30) + current calories *current calories = cutting cals*
    Protein = 1.25 x LBM
    Fats = Minimal, ~20g
    Carbs = the rest of your calories

• Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Have you been tested recently to see if your medication is in range against your blood test numbers.

Research I have been doing on similar medical issues indicates this is a huge factor in symptomatic issues of the condition and things not working quite right. Numerous studies indicate meds may need to be seasonally adjusted for optimal health with those medical issues.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Have you been tested recently to see if your medication is in range against your blood test numbers.

Research I have been doing on similar medical issues indicates this is a huge factor in symptomatic issues of the condition and things not working quite right. Numerous studies indicate meds may need to be seasonally adjusted for optimal health with those medical issues.

I have an endo appointment next week and am having bloods drawn this week for it.

• Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options

I have an endo appointment next week and am having bloods drawn this week for it.

Maybe try not to stress until after your endocrinologist appointment and seeing what your blood work looks like. It's been particularly cold here lately and that alone is a stress on certain medical conditions.
  • RainyDaysAgain
    RainyDaysAgain Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    No advice- but I'm sorry you are dealing with a migraine that won't end. I've been there, and still remember the misery. :( I hope you get relief from the headache and the plateau soon!
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    No advice- but I'm sorry you are dealing with a migraine that won't end. I've been there, and still remember the misery. :( I hope you get relief from the headache and the plateau soon!

Thank you!

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    No advice to add from me other than what others have already suggested. Have been there too with a headache that wouldn't quit (it was a post-viral thing, lasted 5 damn months) so sending lots of sympathy on that. I hope your docs can get that sorted for you soon cos it really does suck :(.

Shaving a little more off the carbs for a few days might help jump start the weight loss, but as your mod carb veggie 'twin' I know that's not the easiest! Long stalls happen though, so just keep on keeping on and try not to get too discouraged :)
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I can commiserate. Been at MFP for a little over a year with 40 pounds left to lose and its going SLLOOOOWWWWW right now. I know the main reason for me is my activity level decreased when it got too cold to walk outside. It will pick up again soon, thankfully since we should be in the 30s and even 40s by next week, forward.

Meanwhile, I cut my calories finally, below the accepted level because I just need to see some forward movement. I believe my TDEE is 1500 max right now and eating 1200 means slow going, plus if I mess up at all on my logging there is very little deficit.

On a side note, have you done much research on Vitamin B12 therapy for migraines? I only mention this because 1) it helped my best friend who was also hospitialized more than once due to migraine pain complications and 2) you are vegan or vegetarian, correct? Please look into it. My friend is a different person now. It changed her life. The look in her eyes, where I could tell she was always concentrating on keeping the migraine at bay, has been gone for a long time now. I can't remember how she first learned of B12 being helpful for some, but when she approached her doctor he was willing to give it a go. I know she had to wean off the medication slowly, then while starting the high dose B12 therapy. Its been 10 years for her and she is still doing great thanks to B12.

55835802.png

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    sodakat wrote: »
    I can commiserate. Been at MFP for a little over a year with 40 pounds left to lose and its going SLLOOOOWWWWW right now. I know the main reason for me is my activity level decreased when it got too cold to walk outside. It will pick up again soon, thankfully since we should be in the 30s and even 40s by next week, forward.

Meanwhile, I cut my calories finally, below the accepted level because I just need to see some forward movement. I believe my TDEE is 1500 max right now and eating 1200 means slow going, plus if I mess up at all on my logging there is very little deficit.

On a side note, have you done much research on Vitamin B12 therapy for migraines? I only mention this because 1) it helped my best friend who was also hospitialized more than once due to migraine pain complications and 2) you are vegan or vegetarian, correct? Please look into it. My friend is a different person now. It changed her life. The look in her eyes, where I could tell she was always concentrating on keeping the migraine at bay, has been gone for a long time now. I can't remember how she first learned of B12 being helpful for some, but when she approached her doctor he was willing to give it a go. I know she had to wean off the medication slowly, then while starting the high dose B12 therapy. Its been 10 years for her and she is still doing great thanks to B12.

55835802.png

Thanks for the thoughts. I should be okay on B-12 because I'm not a vegan. I eat a lot of cottage cheese, yogurt, and eggs. I am on B-2 therapy for migraines, and have heard of that. I'll mention something the next time I see my neuro.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I've been stalling for months now, between 136-139. I just dropped my calories today a bit more. Part of the reason I was stalling was my deficit was so tiny, and I was going a bit too high on the weekends, and basically wiping it out. Seems like you're confident in your logging though. So...I was no help.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Be patient, it will come. I don't log water fluctuations either and I have them constantly. I figure, so long as I'm not gaining, I'm golden.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I've been stalling for months now, between 136-139. I just dropped my calories today a bit more. Part of the reason I was stalling was my deficit was so tiny, and I was going a bit too high on the weekends, and basically wiping it out. Seems like you're confident in your logging though. So...I was no help.

I am way under my deficit and never go over. I tend to have nausea and struggle to eat sometimes, so yeah.

The thing is that I'm eating at a level that I'll probably eat at the whole time I'm losing weight, since I can't really cut my calories any lower. Since I'm short and older, this rate only makes me lose a pound a week, so it's not super aggressive. I just don't get a lot of calories to play with. I just was wondering if there was any hope!

• arditarose
    Options

I am way under my deficit and never go over. I tend to have nausea and struggle to eat sometimes, so yeah.

The thing is that I'm eating at a level that I'll probably eat at the whole time I'm losing weight, since I can't really cut my calories any lower. Since I'm short and older, this rate only makes me lose a pound a week, so it's not super aggressive. I just don't get a lot of calories to play with. I just was wondering if there was any hope!

Have you taken a diet break? Sometimes nice to collect yourself and get back on the wagon.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Have you taken a diet break? Sometimes nice to collect yourself and get back on the wagon.

No, but I haven't felt the need. I feel better now than I did before when I was eating more. If it would help break the stall, I'd consider it. Someone suggested it upthread, but whenever I've seen it mentioned on the forums, it was always mentioned as something for longer-term problems. I've only been doing this for a little over three months.

• arditarose
    Options

No, but I haven't felt the need. I feel better now than I did before when I was eating more. If it would help break the stall, I'd consider it. Someone suggested it upthread, but whenever I've seen it mentioned on the forums, it was always mentioned as something for longer-term problems. I've only been doing this for a little over three months.

Ah. okay.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Do you have any other issues that could be causing water retention -- OTC drugs like NSAIDs (doubtful because of your migraine issue, but maybe worth mentioning), lack of sleep, extra stress? 3 weeks is incredibly frustrating, but not so long that I would really start to worry just yet.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Do you have any other issues that could be causing water retention -- OTC drugs like NSAIDs (doubtful because of your migraine issue, but maybe worth mentioning), lack of sleep, extra stress? 3 weeks is incredibly frustrating, but not so long that I would really start to worry just yet.

Well, I'm on a prescription NSAID for chronic pain, but I've been on that for a long time. No extra stress other than the ongoing bit from the head pain that should be resolved not being resolved is causing, and my sleep is fine.

I have had the odd salty meal here or there, and my weight has fluctuated with it, but I can't think of any reason why I'd be holding onto water.

I will say this. It is comforting to KNOW that my logging is tight. I'm annoyed by this stall and how long it's been, but I'm not stressing about it, because I know that I'm doing everything I should and I know that I'm eating at a deficit. It's a good feeling.

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I just had a 9 week period where I played with the same darn 3 pounds. It was really frustrating.

I posted on here, and the advice was to take a break. I didn't log a bite for 6 days (it felt nice, but I was ready to get back to logging!). Now that I'm back to logging, I'm trying to eat at maintenance for a bit. I've been in a deficit for 10 months now, so I'm giving my body a break.

The good news is I lost three pounds since I started my break/maintenance thing.

How long have you been eating a deficit?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Oh I see you already answered the question I asked - sorry.

Hang in there, hon - things will start moving again. ((hugs))