Readers Digest article

Options
2»

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    brcossette wrote: »
    In the March 2015 issue of Reader's Digest they have an article titled "Classic Diet Advice (you can probably ignore)" In the article they point out 5 things 1) Don't lose weight quickly. 2) Always eat breakfast. 3)Eating at home is always better than eating out. 4) Small Changes add up. and 5) Big ambitious weight-goals set you up for failure. Basically the article takes the contrary views on these things based on scientific research. I'm curious to see if anyone else has had a chance to read the article and what they thought about it. My opinion is that this was very shoddy journalism on their part because a lot of those things are what helped me to lose almost 90lbs so far.

I haven't read the article or the study, but 1) losing weight quickly has never caused me problems 2) When I skip breakfast, it is actually easier for me later, because I can snack more 3) Depends. I graze more at home. The cafeteria at work is actually pretty healthy, if you make good choices. 4) Not sure about this one, but I don't log everything and I'm still losing weight. 5) I have twenty pounds to go on my big ambitious weight goal and I see no reason to think I won't reach it.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    In the March 2015 issue of Reader's Digest they have an article titled "Classic Diet Advice (you can probably ignore)" In the article they point out 5 things 1) Don't lose weight quickly. 2) Always eat breakfast. 3)Eating at home is always better than eating out. 4) Small Changes add up. and 5) Big ambitious weight-goals set you up for failure. Basically the article takes the contrary views on these things based on scientific research. I'm curious to see if anyone else has had a chance to read the article and what they thought about it. My opinion is that this was very shoddy journalism on their part because a lot of those things are what helped me to lose almost 90lbs so far.

I haven't read the article or the study, but 1) losing weight quickly has never caused me problems 2) When I skip breakfast, it is actually easier for me later, because I can snack more 3) Depends. I graze more at home. The cafeteria at work is actually pretty healthy, if you make good choices. 4) Not sure about this one, but I don't log everything and I'm still losing weight. 5) I have twenty pounds to go on my big ambitious weight goal and I see no reason to think I won't reach it.

I think you'd find you agree with the article then, because the title is (paraphrasing and emphasis added) "Classic Diet Advice (THAT YOU CAN IGNORE)"

Still, it's anecdotal and/or cherry picked studies chosen specifically to create an overly-dramatic headline.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

I agree with number one and four, and five, but two and three are irrelevant to weight loss.
    I think the article's stance was that none of them are essential for weight loss.

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    LOL ReadersDigest