Too far gone with caffeine/pop (soda) addiction?

Options
124»

Replies

• wbrumley1981
    Options
    I used to get kidney infections all the time. It wasn't til quite recently(about a year ago) that I found out the cokes' were the reason. I quit cold turkey and haven't gotten an infection since.

Not gonna lie the first 2 weeks were hell. Headaches, fatigue, you name it. It definitely gets better though. I buy crystal light packets for my water and it soothes my sweet tooth for sugary drinks. The biggest thing is self-control. When I feel the need for a coke coming on I just go and down a bottle of water. It feels me up and I'm not thirsty for anything after that.

Good luck.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I drank pop of some kind since I was a toddler. As a kid, I drank other things like Kool-Aid and sun tea, but always went for pop if available. Drank Mt. Dew exclusively from 15-34, then took 2 years to wean myself down to 1, 8 oz glass per day. At 37, I stopped drinking pop at home, but would get one when we went out to eat supper. A year late, I stopped completely and stuck with only water.

If you want to stop or only have it occasionally, wean yourself down slowly. Going cold turkey sucks unless you can deal with caffeine withdrawal headaches for several days.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You're 26 years old, why is your dad controlling what you drink? How much soda are we talking about here?
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I used to get kidney infections all the time. It wasn't til quite recently(about a year ago) that I found out the cokes' were the reason. I quit cold turkey and haven't gotten an infection since.

Not gonna lie the first 2 weeks were hell. Headaches, fatigue, you name it. It definitely gets better though. I buy crystal light packets for my water and it soothes my sweet tooth for sugary drinks. The biggest thing is self-control. When I feel the need for a coke coming on I just go and down a bottle of water. It feels me up and I'm not thirsty for anything after that.

Good luck.
    I get kidney infections all the time but, sadly I can't use any of those crystal packets the flavor crystals are like having mini knifes on the insides of my kidneys. I have kidney disease so I am the processof quitting pop as well. I have another health issue that makes it impossible to quit cold turkey. It sucks!

• lorisavage13
    lorisavage13 Posts: 6 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have a real hard time resisting Diet Coke. I recently went to my yearly health assessment (something my work offers yearly to help us be more informed about our health). The health professional doing my assessment told me that our bodies process the diet soda like sugar and stores it as fat. I don't know if I believe that because If that was true I would be alot heavier then I am now! I would be interested to hear if anyone else has heard this or maybe has a more clear way of explaining it. I know it's not good for me and I want to be healthier as well as thinner. I have cut my consumption of Diet Coke in half over the last month by drinking a large glass of water when I have a craving for it. Most of the time that helps the craving. I will continue working on cutting it out of my diet completely.