Used fitness clothing....yes or no?

Options

Replies

• Mrsallen6_11
    Mrsallen6_11 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I go consignment shopping all the time, I guess you'd say I'm cheap, and quite a few times I'll buy tank tops, yoga pants, or shorts when I need them. Most resale clothing stores (thrift shops & consignment shops) only take gently used items, which means the person who wore my tank to before me didn't sweat in it as bad as I'm going to. A few of them have washers and dryers in the back and you can almost always hear them going (humming) while you're shopping and I always wash everything I come home with twice no matter what. Now sports bras and and undergarments I'll buy brand new no matter what they cost.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I would personally buy some yes if price was attractive, no stains or rips. I would just wash them twice in hot hot water. The only thing I wouldnt do is the undershorts...that is yeah...not kosher.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    It will deter many people, but on places like ebay there is a thriving market for 2nd hand clothes, be they fitness or anything else. It depends what you are selling and how much for. If its good quality items and obviously clean then there will be a market imo.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Ehhhhhhhh no.

jyogit wrote: »
    would you wear used underwear? … same thing as used sportswear i'd guess
    ^This. Especially since a lot of people don't wear underwear in their workout gear

Yep, guilty as charged. Nothing is comfortable under compression tights. Commando, yo.

perhaps you should...sell...your used....things....to me....unwashed....in a baggie to....seal in the goodness.

giphy.gif
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Maybe not running tights or compression shorts, but I wouldn't mind gently used shoes, tanks, pullovers, even sports bras if they look good/were a good brand. I'm not picky.
  • Justinelovezumba32
    Justinelovezumba32 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I can't wear used fitness clothes. Even washing and drying may not get all the funk out. I would rather buy new
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    There is not a whole lot of logic in the arguments to not buy used fitness clothing. I generally do not buy any used clothing, I do not know why I have just never considered it as a general overall cleanliness thing.

I do find the repulsion to it fascinating though, specifically the people that are not willing to buy clothes that has been sweat in... next to peoples genitalia yet... they are ok with buying used pants, shorts, shirts, skirts and dresses that at one point were probably worn while the exchange of human bodily fluids were occurring or just about to.

Really? How do you know if that used pair of shorts or pants was not owned by a guy with a sweating problem or a case of serious jock itch. Or that teen got far to excited too often in their pants? I know I have had similar issues with clothing.

• DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Drewlssix wrote: »
    Yeah, I smirk at the underwear on the racks at goodwill
    [snip]
    A lady I know says that ladies undergarments {particularly bras & slips} are often the first thing out the door when she has a garage sale, and she hosts several multi-family sales every year.
    Of course, that assumes there are no stains, worn out elastic, missing hardware, etc.

• dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Outerwear like jackets, rain pants, sure.

Like new shoes? Yeah.

Shirts shorts socks... No. I'll pass.
  • Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Outerwear like jackets, rain pants, sure.

Like new shoes? Yeah.

Shirts shorts socks... No. I'll pass.

Well of couse if it is bras,underwear,socks I won't buy it second hand duhhh it is disgusting but there is no problem with shirts or pants (but I don't think it is about underwear)
  • Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    skullshank wrote: »
    Ehhhhhhhh no.

^This. Especially since a lot of people don't wear underwear in their workout gear

Yep, guilty as charged. Nothing is comfortable under compression tights. Commando, yo.

perhaps you should...sell...your used....things....to me....unwashed....in a baggie to....seal in the goodness.

giphy.gif

OMG :D:D so funny
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Curt911 wrote: »
    I have some friends who are very serious competitors in Ironman competitions.....they do not stop to use the bathroom when riding their bikes, they just stand up and go. So......I would have to say NO to purchasing used sportswear :s
    But what if they have to go number 2????
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    Curt911 wrote: »
    I have some friends who are very serious competitors in Ironman competitions.....they do not stop to use the bathroom when riding their bikes, they just stand up and go. So......I would have to say NO to purchasing used sportswear :s
    But what if they have to go number 2????

Runner's trots is a real thing.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    skullshank wrote: »
    Ehhhhhhhh no.

giphy.gif

newgirl-3a-newgirlss1.gif
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I don't buy used clothing of any sort. It doesn't gross me out or anything, it's just not something I need/want to do. I guess I'm a snob *shrug*

So my answer is no.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Cool idea, but I don't think it's practical. I know even after a good soak and wash, sometimes my clothes still have a little smell to them.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would ever purchase used fitness clothing. I find too many good deals Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Old Navy to ever find it necessary. Most of my girlfriends don't wear undies under their workout bottoms so that would bother me as well.

I had no idea they had underwear racks at Goodwill. Whenever I spring clean and donate I throw that stuff away cause I figure who would want it.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I think there are somethings that should be purchased new....fitness clothing is one of them for me. I know how much I sweat when I work out I can imagine how much someone else sweats.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Thanks to this thread, I'm going commando for my workout tomorrow.
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'm wearing a pair of used jeans right now :smiley: I was wondering if you plan on selling other sports equipment too? Like my daughter wanted a pair of ice skates when we moved here to MN. She used them one year. We also have a used sporting goods store close by that we shop in sometimes. Just an idea, to maybe sell baseball gloves, soccer and football stuff too. Oh my gosh or hockey stuff, that's really pricey. Kids take up a sport and drop it faster than they wear the stuff out.