Went over calories

Options
Hey everyone,
So lately I've been craving sweet food. I usually eat around 1800 calories to maintain my weight.
For dinner I drank a medium Mc donald's vanilla milkshake. I satisified my sweet teeth, but ow I feel guilty because I ate 500 over my daily 1800. I usually eat pretty healthy..should I bet this upset with myself?
Do I need to eat less tomorrow? I'm really worried because I'm going on vacation with my best friend for 2 weeks..and I don't want splurge to often. How can I control my intake and still enjoy my vacation food?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    it is one day ..don't worry about it…

log it, own, it and move on to tomorrow…

I had whataburger on saturday night and fries and yes I went over, but no biggie…I was back in a deficit the next day….
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    milkshakes are killer heavy in calories. It is normal to be upset with yourself but not to the point where you are going to second guess everything and let it ruin your vacation. You needed it, enjoyed it and now you can move on.

You would best put it behind you and get back to eating at your target tomorrow. I really wouldn't try to eat 500 cal less tomorrow, that is kind of a slippery slope.

You can travel and still eat well, drink well but plan your meals carefully. Holidays are not going to be easy and that is why so many people go on these crazy diets trying to get to a certain weight so they look good! So much better to have a healthy living plan for life, this way a holiday just changes the location but you are educated enough to make good choices.

While on the trip, drink tonnes of water, walk as often as possible, use the gym if there is one. Beyond that definitely remember you are on holiday. One week or more of eating more is not going to ruin 50 weeks of making smart decisions.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    milkshakes are killer heavy in calories. It is normal to be upset with yourself but not to the point where you are going to second guess everything and let it ruin your vacation. You needed it, enjoyed it and now you can move on.

You would best put it behind you and get back to eating at your target tomorrow. I really wouldn't try to eat 500 cal less tomorrow, that is kind of a slippery slope.

You can travel and still eat well, drink well but plan your meals carefully. Holidays are not going to be easy and that is why so many people go on these crazy diets trying to get to a certain weight so they look good! So much better to have a healthy living plan for life, this way a holiday just changes the location but you are educated enough to make good choices.

While on the trip, drink tonnes of water, walk as often as possible, use the gym if there is one. Beyond that definitely remember you are on holiday. One week or more of eating more is not going to ruin 50 weeks of making smart decisions.

this^^^^^
  • sisterparker40
    sisterparker40 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    One milk shake will not make you fat, just like one salad will not make a healthy.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    REPENT SINNER !!!!

Joking aside, log it, own it, move on ... nothing to see here ...
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Cornbread dressing, dumplings and baby limas for dinner, blew right through my calories by, oh about 700. Don't care, back on the horse tomorrow.
  • cotewalter
    cotewalter Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    For vacation food try and do smaller or half portions, eat slower and enjoy the company of the others.
  • cotewalter
    cotewalter Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Also I've found these fruit and milk bars to satisfy my sweet craving. They're called Fruit are. I have the coconut and milk ones and they are like an ice cream bar but only 140 calories. The are pretty tasty!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,
    So lately I've been craving sweet food. I usually eat around 1800 calories to maintain my weight.
    For dinner I drank a medium Mc donald's vanilla milkshake. I satisified my sweet teeth, but ow I feel guilty because I ate 500 over my daily 1800. I usually eat pretty healthy..should I bet this upset with myself?
    Do I need to eat less tomorrow? I'm really worried because I'm going on vacation with my best friend for 2 weeks..and I don't want splurge to often. How can I control my intake and still enjoy my vacation food?

I would suggest taking a step back and looking at the bigger picture....if you do that you will realize how completely irrelevant this was in the grand scheme of things.

You don't get fat because you went over for a day or whatever...the human body is amazingly adaptable and is always trying to maintain the status quot...this is why it requires consistently under-eating (dieting). To gain weight equally requires consistently over-eating, not having a milkshake one night.
  • crashleyw
    crashleyw Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If I felt guilty every time I enjoyed something - whether it's a handful of chips or maybe some french fries - I'd never get out of bed. While it's important to eat healthy most of the time, life would be awfully difficult if we couldn't indulge in our favourites once and awhile. Now I want a milkshake! Start again tomorrow and enjoy yourself!
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. It's not the end of the world. And I wouldn't eat at a 500 deficit today either. Just continue to eat at maintenance. And enjoy your vacation and the food.
  • Sewilban
    Sewilban Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Absolutely agree with @riffraff2112‌. I made the change to a Paleo lifestyle back in September and have never looked back. Since then, I've vacationed in Charleston, South Carolina; Savannah, Georgia; and Hilton Head, South Carolina - all places known for their food. I was able to avoid over-indulging because once I found out what worked for me, I educated myself about it and nutrition in general. Now I know how to make the best choices for me in whatever environment I'm in. I'm not one to preach diet methods or evangelize Paleo - I just know that's what works for me; but I do 100% beleive that whatever nutrition guidelines work for you, you follow should be for life, not for a diet. Again, to agree with @riffraff2112‌, that way, only the location changes, not the way you eat. Hope this helps, and good luck!
  • bunnypy
    bunnypy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Try replacing a milkshake with a smoothie or yoghurt, I sometimes go for a diet soda if it's really bad, and it works!
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I accidently go over my limit nearly everyday, 500 extra calories is not much, and you probably could eat that much anyway, but just be more careful tommrow.
  • allofme32
    allofme32 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I agree, you did it, log it and own it. My nutritionist would say "if you are going to put it in your mouth, then you have to work for it!". Just work out to burn the calories.
    Don't cut out milkshakes altogether if you like them. Indulge in a small milk shake once in a while. Just don't make it an every day habit. Or find a good substitute.
    When I crave a milk shake I make a one with crushed ice, skim milk and a teaspoon of vanilla extract. Add a banana or yogurt if you want it to be more creamy. It works for me.

My indulgence it peanut butter and chocolate. I LUV IT. I have it once a month with no regrets!
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    OP - Good for you for noticing it! That means you have been logging consistently and are really aware of your intake. It is a blip. Keep up the good logging!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    One milk shake will not make you fat, just like one salad will not make a healthy.

^ This. This, all day.

You simply can't freak out every time you go over in calories. And restricting even more the following day is just setting yourself up to do it again. Just go back to business as usual. This past Christmas and Christmas Eve I ate AT LEAST 8000 calories over those two days, as I knew I would. No big deal. I didn't gain any weight. I retained water, sure, but my following weigh-in showed that I actually went down a tiny bit.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Go check out the "holiday challenge" threads... people aiming for 4-6K calories.

so WAY over daily maintenance.
    one day - or two or three.

no weights gained.

One day- doesn't mean anything- it's when one day becomes two- becomes three- becomes the week and suddenly a habit. - remember trend lines are more important- some days will be high- some days will be low- you just have to mentally average them for yourself- or let the app do it for you-and as long as your average is along maintenance you're fine.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    We went to Chili's on Saturday and I ate like twice+ my daily allowance. And it was glorious.
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Go check out the "holiday challenge" threads... people aiming for 4-6K calories.

so WAY over daily maintenance.
    one day - or two or three.

no weights gained.

One day- doesn't mean anything- it's when one day becomes two- becomes three- becomes the week and suddenly a habit. - remember trend lines are more important- some days will be high- some days will be low- you just have to mentally average them for yourself- or let the app do it for you-and as long as your average is along maintenance you're fine.

Spot on. Don't beat yourself up over a few extra calories here and there. TRENDS are what's important. If you're eating on average 300 cals under maintenance a day for 6 days you're 1800 under for the week. So if you follow it up with a day that you eat 400-500 over, you're net calorie intake for the week is still a deficit of 1300-1400 cals. The trend, over time, will give you a better idea of your progress. :)