Do you eat 3 or 6 meals a day?

Options

Replies

• brannoncpa
    Options
    5 to 6 times per day. Mostly balanced carbs/protein/fat - not always. Every 4th or 5th day I end up with a larger meal. The MFP app helps a bunch. I love the "plate" graph under the nutrition section.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    Usually twice a day (midday and evening) with morning coffee. Rarely I might eat early, in which case I don't tend to eat midday. Occasionally I have a snack.

Not very regimented. I've lost 140lbs.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Eh, roughly 3 meals, sometimes more like 2 + a bunch of snacks, or a dessert after dinner.
  • Uba31
    Uba31 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 meals and then a snack or 2.
  • ForeverCharlie
    ForeverCharlie Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I eat three 400-500 calorie meals with once snack here or there if hungry. Eating every few hours has never worked for me personally.
  • mmonaghan99
    mmonaghan99 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I do breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack (if I'm hungry) and dinner. Sometimes I do a little snack or something sweet after dinner if I want, but a lot of days I don't eat after dinner.The breakfast thing is new, I used to have a hard time eating breakfast but I've been doing oatmeal with walnuts in the morning and I feel so much better, I'm not completely starving by lunchtime and I eat less throughout the day in general when I have breakfast.
  • SweeDecadence92
    SweeDecadence92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    4 Meals generally. 4-5 days a week I get up at 6:30AM and don't get to bed til 5:30AM because of my work/education schedule.

Breakfast -Green smoothie with protein powder, if I'm in a rush I'll just have some muesli.
    Lunch - Usually light, some kinda salad or soup, maybe a sandwhich at a push
    Mid Afternoon Snack - High protein, usually a boiled egg
    Dinner - Grainy carbs, veg and meat. At the moment I'm liking brown rice with stirfried veg and fish
    Evening Snack - High protein, more eggs
    Late Night Meal - Veg & meat
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 or three meals a day with no snacking. I like big meals especially dinner.

Yep me too. I usually skip breakfast so I can have the huge dinner.
  • spilledmilk
    spilledmilk Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Generally 3 meals a day with a small afternoon snack. My meals are not equal though- I eat a very light breakfast, medium-sized lunch, and big dinner. That's just how I like it. :)

Find a system that works for you, there's no right or wrong way to do it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I don't have some set number. I basically eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner and I do some snacking throughout the day.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I don't have a hard and fast rule about eating, but typically I eat twice a day. Once in mid-day (anywhere from noon - 4:00 p.m.). This is light. Many people would probably call it a snack. And one big meal in the evening/night.

Sometimes on the weekend I will only eat one meal.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I realize that the myth of eating small meals more frequently is widely ignored. I even tried it and noticed it made me 1.) more stressed out trying to remember to eat 6 tines a day, and 2.) more apt to binge because I never felt satisfied. Which leaves me curious as to what all you lovely people are doing. Do big meals make you feel sluggish? Do smaller meals stress you out?

I usually eat five meals a day. Sometimes I'll skip a meal or add dessert, but I aim for five meals every day and the biggest at dinner, roughly 600-700 cals, and the rest around 200-300 each.
    I don't feel sluggish, but stuffed, after big meals. But too much sugar at once makes me feel sluggish.
    I don't like small meals/"snacks" that aren't "complete", aka at least containing a fatty protein source and some non-starchy vegetable.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Three here. Eating more frequently makes me more hungry; who knows why.
  • jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    "What about elevenses?" - Pippin (Lord of the Rings)
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    "What about elevenses?" - Pippin (Lord of the Rings)

Don't think he knows about those, Pip!

• caryb2015
    caryb2015 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've lost 100 lbs. by eating every 2-3 hours most days. I don't believe the timing is relevant but it helped me with the sensation I perceive as hunger. I've found I get this feeling irregardless of the size or quality of the previous meal so now I basically divide up every meal so I can spread it out. For example lunch yesterday was soup and 2 hours later the apple that previously I would have eaten with the soup.
  • nicfitnesszone
    nicfitnesszone Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    5-6 small meals
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I have 4 meals per day. 7am, 10:30am, 2pm and 5:30pm. This seems to work best for me.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 plus snacks, though its irrelevant to weight loss. CICO.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I eat 5 meals two of them are smaler snacks. It was hard and was stressful at first as I had no idea what I was doing and not used to eating so much. Your body at first does not like it but then gets used to it and get hungry every 3 hours. If you are eating right portion you do not feel hungry. Every meal is 1 fat 1 tbsp 2 cup veggies and 1 protein on low carb days on high carb days its 1 carb about 1/2 cup or 1 potato permeal plus no fat and 1 protein 2 cup veggies. I am never hungry and mostly do not want to eat next meal but I do and it has been working awesomely lost about 4 lbs so far. Used to eat 1large breakfast small lunch and a mmedium dinner.