best way to fight a craving. Disscus!

Options
I look at pictures of what i want to eat, burgers with bacon amd eggs, mac And cheese, pizza, fudge.... you get the idea.

I also smell cupcake sented candles. This one is weird I know.

I was wondering what do you do to fight cravings.
Discuss!

Replies

• jackie_ferguson
    jackie_ferguson Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i keep myself occupied with my hobby.i have also made my partner lock up the chocolate etc in a safe as i dont want to deprive him lol.i think its best to allow yourself a little tho as completely depriving yourself makes it even harder.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I eat some.
  • Saltfae
    Saltfae Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Keeping busy is good. I dont deprive myself, i just wait for my cheat day to go to town. Plus i have bingeing issues, so I try to excersie my will power. Thanks for posting!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want. I eat a portion size and count it in my daily calories. Problem solved.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Sun_child wrote: »
    I look at pictures of what i want to eat, burgers with bacon amd eggs, mac And cheese, pizza, fudge.... you get the idea.

Discuss!

Interesting what works for different people. Looking at pictures of it would just definitely make me head straight for the kitchen!

I try and distract myself, reason with myself if I am definitely not hungry, and if I am still determined then I'll have something small that's not going to throw me off too badly. Celery and hummus or a boiled egg is my current go-to :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I eat some.

yup

it's never as good as what you imagine during denial
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I fight a craving for about 3 days. If it's still a craving, I have some. Usually gets it out of my system. The 3 day rule is because sometimes I crave things just because I see them, or think of a happy time when I was eating them. Not because I REALLY want one.
  • mskinner1091
    mskinner1091 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    If I crave something I eat it. Makes the craving go away. The other week I was craving tacos so I just went to Taco Bell & ate 2 soft shell tacos. It was delicious, my craving went away, & I still lost weight.. Because I stayed in my calorie goal for the day. If you crave something then eat a little bit of it as long as you're mindful of your calories. That may not work for some people, just saying what works for me.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My thoughts:

If seeing these things is making you crave them then try not to see them. I would get rid of the candle.

Try to figure out if it is really a cravy or a bored/emotion reaction. If its boredom then find something to do. If it is emotion work on handeling your emotions without food, it really doesn't fix them in the end.

If you really want something then find a way to fit it in.
  • Saltfae
    Saltfae Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    The general consensus is to just eat it. I like the wait three days! My issue is i need to wprk on portion control. Like chocolate, if its there im goin to eat it and eat all of it. I have weak will power. Great responses! Thankyou
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I just eat it too. I find that if I don't eat what I really want then I eat a lot of stuff I really did not want to make up for it. Just fit these things into your daily calorie intake.
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    If I crave something I'll eat it, as close to when the craving hits as possible. However, I won't if I can't (at least somewhat) accurately measure it... cause if I'm eye-balling it I will certainly eat way more than I meant!

Exception: if it's something that comes in 'ones' -- like a donut, muffin, single-serve chocolate bar, etc -- I'll eat one. If said craving can be sated by a place less than a mile away and weather/time of day permits, I'll walk to get it (and not tell myself I can eat two just because I walked there)

Weirdly, my cravings lately have been for things that are easy to account for and fit in without affecting the rest of my day. Cereal, tomato sauce, eggs... that kind of thing. But, I always start and end my day with something containing chocolate so sweet cravings are rarely a thing anymore, and always make sure to have at least one meal with something carb-filled (bread, noodles, etc) so carby-cravings are also rare.
  • cbri02
    cbri02 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Discuss!

One day a week cheat day. If you know you have that one day, you'll be fine.
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    cbri02 wrote: »

Discuss!

I have to disagree with the "one cheat day" mentatlity. It's SO easy (at least for me) to undo a week of hard work in just one day. No cheat days for me.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I eat some.

yup

it's never as good as what you imagine during denial

This^^. Learning to have just a small portion of what I crave is *the* most important thing in my weight loss for me, otherwise how will I keep it off eventually?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I eat what I'm craving, in moderation.
  • cbri02
    cbri02 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    JSurita2 wrote: »

Discuss!

I have to disagree with the "one cheat day" mentatlity. It's SO easy (at least for me) to undo a week of hard work in just one day. No cheat days for me.
    Cheat day does not "un-do" what you put in to that week. Will you gain pounds that day? Sure.. But you won't gain body fat. 2-3 days after you will be back to where you were. The cheat day is essential for a metabolic reset. With your hormonal balance off you're only plateauing.
  • JSurita2
    Options

Discuss!

Cheat day does not "un-do" what you put in to that week. Will you gain pounds that day? Sure.. But you won't gain body fat. 2-3 days after you will be back to where you were. The cheat day is essential for a metabolic reset. With your hormonal balance off you're only plateauing.

Whatever works for you, have at it. I believe a binging episode or "cheat day" can most certainly un-do my hard work. But again, if you can do it and be successful, go for it. Different strokes for different folks.
  • JSurita2
    Options

Discuss!

Oh and this bolded statement, sounds like bs to me....sorry. I'm just being honest.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I paint my nails. It's harder for me to stick my hand in a bag of chips or cookies if I know they're going to get messed up.