best way to fight a craving. Disscus!

Options

Replies

• desweds
    desweds Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I've beat a lot of addictions in my life. For me a craving for bad food is like a craving for a cigarette or a drink. For me, craving is my addiction screaming at me, not hunger.

I certainly don't have anything addictive in my home.

If I crave, say, a pizza I keep a stock of instant gratification foods that work for me:

English cucumbers with greek yougart dressing (35-45 cal per two Tbps)
    Hebrew National low fat all beef franks (45 cal)
    Turkey bacon (35 cal/slice)
    Flavored water additives

I tell myself "eat some of this now and drink a huge glass of flavored water. If you still want the pizza, get it"

Works for me.
  • cbri02
    cbri02 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    JSurita2 wrote: »
    cbri02 wrote: »
    Sun_child wrote: »
    I look at pictures of what i want to eat, burgers with bacon amd eggs, mac And cheese, pizza, fudge.... you get the idea.

I also smell cupcake sented candles. This one is weird I know.

I was wondering what do you do to fight cravings.
    Discuss!

One day a week cheat day. If you know you have that one day, you'll be fine.

I have to disagree with the "one cheat day" mentatlity. It's SO easy (at least for me) to undo a week of hard work in just one day. No cheat days for me.
    Cheat day does not "un-do" what you put in to that week. Will you gain pounds that day? Sure.. But you won't gain body fat. 2-3 days after you will be back to where you were. The cheat day is essential for a metabolic reset. With your hormonal balance off you're only plateauing.

Oh and this bolded statement, sounds like bs to me....sorry. I'm just being honest.

Lol BS or not. Progress speaks for itself.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I eat some.
    This. No need to deprive. Just account for it in your daily calories. Some may have to counter with extra exercise to offset.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I look at pictures of what i want to eat, burgers with bacon amd eggs, mac And cheese, pizza, fudge.... you get the idea.

Discuss!

I fight my craving by eating what I'm craving.

• hapa11
    hapa11 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have to get away from the kitchen. If possible, I'll run an errand or get on the treadmill for half an hour. By the time I'm done, it's time to start dinner and I've gotten past it.
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options

Discuss!

I have to disagree with the "one cheat day" mentatlity. It's SO easy (at least for me) to undo a week of hard work in just one day. No cheat days for me.
    Cheat day does not "un-do" what you put in to that week. Will you gain pounds that day? Sure.. But you won't gain body fat. 2-3 days after you will be back to where you were. The cheat day is essential for a metabolic reset. With your hormonal balance off you're only plateauing.

Oh and this bolded statement, sounds like bs to me....sorry. I'm just being honest.

Lol BS or not. Progress speaks for itself.

:wink: You're absolutely right. Progress does speak for itself which is why I always say do whatever works for you. Cheat days don't work for me, but if they "reset your metabolism" then by all means have at it. I'm pretty sure my metabolism doesn't need resetting, it's simply on vacation. lol....
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I plan it in. If I really want caramel chocolate, I'll tell myself 'on Friday'. If I want a dirty great burger, I'll text a friend and see if they want to go out for one at the weekend. If I want wine, I plan an extra gym sesh/run and buy one of those smaller bottles which contain a glass or two.

Obviously, special occasions I go all out, and sometimes I get taken by surprise like if a colleague brings in cakes/biscuits they've made, but generally I try not to react too quick to a craving. I try to fit it into my calories and lifestyle rather than just 'giving in'.
  • hupsii
    hupsii Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    vada44 wrote: »
    I just eat it too. I find that if I don't eat what I really want then I eat a lot of stuff I really did not want to make up for it. Just fit these things into your daily calorie intake.

This plus in the end I eat what I wanted in the first place too ....
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Get up and do something. I almost never have cravings when I'm busy at work -- it's when I'm sitting around reading or looking at the computer.

Or, I have some air-popped popcorn. My cravings are almost exclusively for salty/crunchy foods, so the popcorn usually does the trick.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    these are all good suggestions, especially the painting of the nails. I like to drink glass after glass of water until i am stuffed and cannot fathom putting a bite of junk food in my mouth.

I have to agree with Jsurita2. If you're supposed eat 2300 calories daily to maintain or 1800 calories daily to lose weight and you spend the first 6 days eating 1800 calories to lose weight but on the seventh day , your cheat day, you eat 4200 calories, you have messed up your whole week because you ate all the calories you were supposed to avoid in the first place. Correct me if i'm wrong of course, i'm no expert....

I guess a cheat day would work if you kept the calories close to 1800, that is if we're going along with my previous theory.

I personally like to do a cheat meal for every 12 pounds I lose.
  • RudeboyCantFail
    RudeboyCantFail Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Go for a short walk. Also works to fight off fatigue (at least for me!).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    find a way to fit what you want into your day so that you hit calorie/micro/macro targets...

I keep about 200 to 300 calories a day free for ice cream, cookies, whatever...works for me...
  • MarvelousMrs
    MarvelousMrs Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Keeping busy is good. I dont deprive myself, i just wait for my cheat day to go to town. Plus i have bingeing issues, so I try to excersie my will power. Thanks for posting!

I have bingeing issues, too! Mostly chocolate. I find popping a mint in my mouth (I don't like gum) takes care of it for awhile because I know eating chocolate with a minty mouth will be disgusting lol
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    find a way to fit what you want into your day so that you hit calorie/micro/macro targets...

I keep about 200 to 300 calories a day free for ice cream, cookies, whatever...works for me...

I try to do this. I say try, because right now I'm awful at macros. But I do absolutely have one thing that I really want a day.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I eat some.

This. If it's a whole meal (burger) I plan to fit it in to my calorie count in the next few days. If it's something small like a snack, I hop on my bike for a bit and burn off whatever I need to to even it out. I've tried to distract myself from cravings before, but they always come back.
  • AnthonyThrashD
    AnthonyThrashD Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    If I'm craving hard, I go over calorie goal that day. Sometimes weird emotional binging might last a few days, but I usually bounce back, and begin staying under goal again. The thing is, don't quit because of a set back, and keep pushing forward.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Having a bike is helping me. I have a new rule... If I want something sweet, I have to ride at least five miles one way to get it.

I figure that most of the time, I'll just decide screw it.

But if I succumbed, at least I burn it off.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Discuss!

I never called it a "cheat day," but that's how I managed lower calories when I first started. I'd cover the extra calories by moving some exercise calories or putting it on my long workout day or just being okay with eating at maintenance one day.

I never get why people assume that a day off or "treat" day or whatever means WAY over calories--I think of it as more like maintenance.
  • TCO76
    TCO76 Posts: 242 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    .....don't eat
  • Saltfae
    Saltfae Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for responses! I like the walk one, and mint. Ill definatly try those! I also have a allergy to milk products and one of the things i crave is cheese. So i cant just eat it haha. Plus my cravings are more emotional and like i said i tend towards the bingeing.

Thanks again! I apreciate it.