Split Lifting Days

Options
I am now on a 4 day split lift day with one day where I do total body. Thinking about going to a 6 day split with working out each muscle group separately in 6 days. Just wondering what are people's thoughts on this. Think it's a good idea? Any recommendations? Have seen results from the program I am on now. I was thinking about doing cardio after lifting for maybe 30min two days after my lifting and doing cardio in the AM three days a week.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Will you listen if we talk?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

this. you have posted many threads asking for advice, but it falls on deaf ears.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I tore my tricep tendon and constantly felt exhausted while doing a 6 day split. It might be do-able while bulking but I certainly couldn't do it while cutting.

I would avoid anything more than a 5 day lifting split.
  • krknobbe10
    krknobbe10 Posts: 110 Member
    Options

this. you have posted many threads asking for advice, but it falls on deaf ears.
    I have made improvements like lifting heavy and cutting on cardio and eating more. But what else do you have?
  • jacksonpt
    edited March 2015
    Options
    for the average person, a 6day split is going to be pretty inefficient. If cutting, it could be pretty draining too, depending on how you structure your sessions.
  • krknobbe10
    Options
    Okay. I am getting addicted to lifting and the results so just thought it would be an idea for my next workouts after I get tired of this plus it would cut out one day of doing just cardio over my lunch.
    What would be another way to switch things ups? Just so my body does not get used to what I am doing now.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Your body "gets used" to a certain level of intensity. If you continue to increase weight and/or reps, you don't to worry much about your body adapting.

IMO, keep your routine based on a handful of primary lifts. Work each muscle group 2-3x week. Change up your accessory work if you want to change things up periodically. If you choose to do full body 3 days per week, fine. If you want to do push/pull, fine. Upper/lower, fine.

Ultimately though, if you want to get good at something, you'll have to stick with it.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Your body "gets used" to a certain level of intensity. If you continue to increase weight and/or reps, you don't to worry much about your body adapting.

IMO, keep your routine based on a handful of primary lifts. Work each muscle group 2-3x week. Change up your accessory work if you want to change things up periodically. If you choose to do full body 3 days per week, fine. If you want to do push/pull, fine. Upper/lower, fine.

Ultimately though, if you want to get good at something, you'll have to stick with it.

Spot on ^^^ Hump.gif
  • krknobbe10
    Options
    Yes I do the major lifts like squat and bench and deadlift. But I get what you are saying by the accessory work. I will keep adding muscle but do want to keep it low reps. But I work each muscle group three times a week as of now. I feel the split days work better for me and my time contraints.
  • Hornsby
    edited March 2015
    Options
    krknobbe10 wrote: »
    Yes I do the major lifts like squat and bench and deadlift. But I get what you are saying by the accessory work. I will keep adding muscle but do want to keep it low reps. But I work each muscle group three times a week as of now. I feel the split days work better for me and my time contraints.

Here
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/power-muscle-burn-5-day-powerbuilding-split.html

If you want to do a 5 day, that is about the max you should go. You just need to be on a plan of some sort. What is the point of going in there half cocked. Get on a proven plan, stick to it as directed, and profit. You are putting entirely too much thought into what you need to be doing and not enough doing.

It also incorporates different rep ranges so you don't get bored.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

don't dismiss higher rep work. 10+ reps can be good for your muscular endurance.
  • krknobbe10
    Options
    I usually stay in the 10-12 range and if I am having troubles, I stop and take some deep breaths and finish out my reps. This seems to work for me as I have seen results all over. Would you think doing cardio twice a day is bad? Even if I eat back most my calories?
    Here is the workout schedule I am thinking:
    Monday- AM cardio and lift in afternoon
    Tuesday- Lifting at lunch and little cardio after
    Wednesday- AM cardio and maybe some cardio at lunch
    Thursday- lift and little cardio at lunch
    Friday- AM cardio and lift a lunch
    Saturday- Full body with cardio after
    I know it seems like a lot of cardio but I mix it up and not everything is high intensity.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I usually stay in the 10-12 range and if I am having troubles, I stop and take some deep breaths and finish out my reps. This seems to work for me as I have seen results all over. Would you think doing cardio twice a day is bad? Even if I eat back most my calories?
    Here is the workout schedule I am thinking:
    Monday- AM cardio and lift in afternoon
    Tuesday- Lifting at lunch and little cardio after
    Wednesday- AM cardio and maybe some cardio at lunch
    Thursday- lift and little cardio at lunch
    Friday- AM cardio and lift a lunch
    Saturday- Full body with cardio after
    I know it seems like a lot of cardio but I mix it up and not everything is high intensity.

Taken at face value, I've gotta think it's going to be hard to make any meaningful progress in any area with that type of schedule.
  • krknobbe10
    Options
    Maybe Wednesday I will cut the afternoon cardio and go home at lunch and do yoga that night.
  • Hornsby
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You aren't listening again and don't seem to every want to actually get it.

Here is the deal. most people would be happy to start where you are starting. Most of us had a *kitten* ton of weight to lose before we were in your position. Now that you are getting started, you are trying to rush the process.

Know this, NO MATTER WHAT it is going to take you a XX amount of days to get to your goal. Everyone is telling you how to get to your goal as fast as scientifically possible, yet, you keep saying how you are going to continue with your plan. Your plan will take you LONGER to get to your goal. (At least as far as I can tell from your plan as I don't know the specifics). I am not sure on why you are wanting to reinvent the wheel. Your body needs time to recover and I am not sure how that can happen on 6 days a week. You do realize that even though an exercise is considered a back exercise, it works other muscles as well?
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    You have good advice here. Slow and steady always wins!
  • krknobbe10
    Options
    I will play around with it and see. I'm not looking to put on 10 lbs of muscle. I feel as if I am going slow with what I am at now. Just looking to mix up my days.
  • jacksonpt
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Do you have any specific training-related goals?
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    What is your goal?

Figure that out first. You sound like you're all over the place.
  • krknobbe10
    Options
    Ultimately to build some muscle and lower my body fat %. I don't think I could do the whole bulking cycle then cutting.