• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    31157-Sweet-Dee-NO-gif--Its-Always-S-EYGJ.gif
    Ditto. Now pass that beer here plz <3
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose any weight during basic...but I didn't exactly go in needing to lose any either

I went in to play soldier and enlisted after finishing my Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering from University of California at Davis (and no ROTC participation during school). Getting back into shape was an added bonus, especially after a year and a half break from collegiate bicycle racing. I lost fat but also quiet a bit of muscle as I specialized in sprinting.

Only one in my company did not loss weight and he was being processed out after deserting. Two other tried to be put on profile but remedial PT got them to minimal fitness standards and they lost weight as part of the conditioning. Even our fittest, those capable of running at 6 minute mile or less pace for two miles, lost weight so either you didn't try hard enough or are exceptional. My company was one of the first mixed sex basic.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    No no and NO! The military does not eat like that.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I bulked in basic...went from skinny girl to kick-a@@ muscled chic and starving myself wasn't in the equation. I ate a TON of calories!

I suggest returning to your normal calorie goal without trying to compensate for your over-indulgences. Just move forward from here.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    kcjchang wrote: »
    I didn't lose any weight during basic...but I didn't exactly go in needing to lose any either

I went in to play soldier and enlisted after finishing my Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering from University of California at Davis (and no ROTC participation during school). Getting back into shape was an added bonus, especially after a year and a half break from collegiate bicycle racing. I lost fat but also quiet a bit of muscle as I specialized in sprinting.

Only one in my company did not loss weight and he was being processed out after deserting. Two other tried to be put on profile but remedial PT got them to minimal fitness standards and they lost weight as part of the conditioning. Even our fittest, those capable of running at 6 minute mile or less pace for two miles, lost weight so either you didn't try hard enough or are exceptional. My company was one of the first mixed sex basic.

Didn't try hard enough? That's laughable.

• HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    I bulked in basic...went from skinny girl to kick-a@@ muscled chic and starving myself wasn't in the equation. I ate a TON of calories!

I suggest returning to your normal calorie goal without trying to compensate for your over-indulgences. Just move forward from here.

I think it's different for women. Our bodies don't need as many calories. I know I put on a lot of muscle across my time in the army - combination of age, lifting, all sorts of things. But I can't quite remember if I actually bulked during basic. I don't think so. I think I was about the same, body weight wise. (ETA: even though my speed, APFT numbers, and strength improved dramatically). It's possible that my unit allowed us more time to eat but we ate family style and were hazed the whole time, so I don't know.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    LinziT123 wrote: »
    OK so day 1, I've survived but I'm so hungry! OK I feel as if I should changed my question, what do you do to make up for over indulging?

log it, own it, and move on to the next day ..

it is not necessary to torture yourself for three days because you were over on calories for one day...
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    If you had a bad weekend it's ok, just get back on the horse and try again. Try to develop long term goals and better habits as you go. Rome wasn't built in a day, neither was your weight on the scale, one bad weekend won't destroy your results.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    LinziT123 wrote: »
    So at the weekend I over indulged,(it was bad lol) so today I started the 3 day military diet, anybody else tried it? What kind of results did you get?

Sounds like a gimmick, rather than a lifestyle change.

Once you adopt healthy habits, you will be able to indulge once in a while, and it won't be bad because your lifestyle will even it out. i got to my top weight because my lifestyle WAS overindulging.

As long as you are in the mindset of using a 3-day "recovery" you are not likely in a mindset to successfully make lifestyle changes.

Instead of doing a 3-day program that will a) suck and b) reinforce your next binge (because you've trained yourself you can make up for it in three crappy days of starvation):

Just write last weekend off, and start eating well today. And eat well tomorrow. And the next day. And when you binge in the future, the next day just eat well, and the next day....

it's not a game. It's just the rest of our lives!
  • luv2walk84
    luv2walk84 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Military diet? What? Who comes up with these things??!! Basic training and the school phase of training after has trainees eating huge calorie amounts most of the time to keep them satisfied and full of energy for training purposes. Once a person has graduated from these, they go on to their permanent duty assignments, and can eat in the mess halls if they so chose. Now days mess halls are serving much healthier selections than say 30 years ago, but its not all diet food they serve! Lots and lots of military people over weight--thus the increase in sizes of battle dress uniforms and the dressier uniforms. If you could only see how the military REALLY eats...