Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Yup. Everything I eat is "guilt free."
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    It's just a label. Perhaps you are reading too much into it.

I disagree. It's labels like "clean," "guilt-free," "junk food," "healthy," etc., that make people so confused these days about nutrition and overeating. If people weren't thrown so many terms all the time about what they eat, and understood calories and how they relate to their bodies, people might not find it so difficult to eat in moderation.

Food is food, and I think that glamourizing and demonizing different types of foods is contributing to the obesity epidemic by overcomplicating things.

I disagree. Labels aren't making us fat.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

I disagree. It's labels like "clean," "guilt-free," "junk food," "healthy," etc., that make people so confused these days about nutrition and overeating. If people weren't thrown so many terms all the time about what they eat, and understood calories and how they relate to their bodies, people might not find it so difficult to eat in moderation.

Food is food, and I think that glamourizing and demonizing different types of foods is contributing to the obesity epidemic by overcomplicating things.

No, eating more calories than we burn is making us fat. Labels just complicate things for people who already don't know crap about nutrition.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options

Exactly. It's lack of knowledge or desire to learn what we need to do to take care of ourselves. This labeling is just yet another marketing ploy and we all need to be smart enough to see past it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

Exactly. It's lack of knowledge or desire to learn what we need to do to take care of ourselves. This labeling is just yet another marketing ploy and we all need to be smart enough to see past it.

Yep.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

If you eat enough of them to put you in a calorie surplus....
  • 7seas_sailing
    7seas_sailing Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I love food! I DEARLY LOVE FOOD!!!! With that said, I may not eat organic all the time, but I try to looks at the macros and avoid eating anything that requires more chemistry than I had in high school - which was zilch.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    edited March 2015
    Options

Yep.

This is basically what I said, yet you agree with her and disagree with me.

Starting to think you like to argue just for the sake of arguing.

It is indeed a marketing ploy that overcomplicates nutrition. Nutrition is not complicated, and if the population would realize that instead of labeling foods as good or bad, we might could actually overcome this obesity "epidemic." Although it's really more of an ignorance epidemic, IMO.

*edit - changed him to her, I didn't see the original poster of the quoted response, sorry!
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    The only reason to feel guilty about eating food is if you stole it from someone.

No way...if I steal food off someone elses plate, I can eat totally guilt free because then the calories don't count. Stuff like this puts balance back into the world.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »

If you eat enough of them to put you in a calorie surplus....

Nah, it's mostly fiber and slides right through.
  • theresaneal77
    theresaneal77 Posts: 62 Member
    Options

That's really well-said. I remember once picking up a diet book that said to put a bunch of grapefruits in your fridge and have grapefruit whenever your hungry, and encouraged you to eat the whole grapefruit. I don't remember the name of the book, I just remember saying to myself that I hate grapefruit, and I would hate to eat a whole one. And what happens if you arn't that hungry? Or you become full after eating the first half or quarter or whatever? Why encourage people to eat more simply because its healthy? When people stray away from that lifestyle change, won't they just eat more nacho cheese or butter or whatever else they snack on?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

she does. you can't stop "starting to think" and just go with it as more of a generally known fact.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

she does. you can't stop "starting to think" and just go with it as more of a generally known fact.

Ha, thanks. Yeah, she seems to pick pointless arguments with people in just about every thread she is in.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    I don't buy food in a package... unless it's cookies... I WILL buy Packaged cookies... oh.. wait and soup... I will buy soup in a package.. whether in a can or a box... oh.. wait... and clif bars.. I will buy cliff bars in packages... and builder bars.. those too come in a package... Umm.. that's it... oh.. cereal.. I will buy cereal cause it's in a box... BUT the only label I read is the nutritional content... I don't buy into "marketing labels".. cause.. well marketers lie.. in order to empty shelves of product... if you buy into a marketing ploy.. then I am afraid Darwinism is in effect... and natural selection WILL weed you out of the gene pool.. sorry... Sheeple are NOT people
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

I agree ...

• theresaneal77
    theresaneal77 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Megoondas wrote: »
    I agree 100%. These labels add an emotional dimension to food, when we need to start looking at food more objectively. Yes, certain foods will release feel-good hormones, but we shouldn't feel guilty for enjoying something. Moderation is the key...something that everyone's probably sick of hearing.

Labels are often misleading too.

http://www.alternet.org/warning-american-snack-food-looks-healthier-all-time-it-really-isnt
    The word “natural” may be largely meaningless, but PepsiCo didn’t get away with slapping it on bags of Cheetos for very long.
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    While we're at it, everyone needs to fix their search algorithms so when I search for recipes, I am not bombarded with gluten-free alternatives to pretty standard meals. I want to kill off the gluten-free fad more than any other fad in history. It has destroyed my ability to find my kind of recipes on popular food sites and Pinterest.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Ha, thanks. Yeah, she seems to pick pointless arguments with people in just about every thread she is in.

agree 100%
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Yep.

This is basically what I said, yet you agree with her and disagree with me.

It is indeed a marketing ploy that overcomplicates nutrition. Nutrition is not complicated, and if the population would realize that instead of labeling foods as good or bad, we might could actually overcome this obesity "epidemic." Although it's really more of an ignorance epidemic, IMO.

*edit - changed him to her, I didn't see the original poster of the quoted response, sorry!

Arguing requires more than one person. I argue for the same reason as others.

You can't teach common sense with a label. Anyone that thinks "guilt free" on a label is nutrition information is not using commong sense.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Can I add to this
    "I'm a foodie- I love food- let me cook for you and share the love"

I hate when people tell people that, as if I eat cardboard and hate real food just because I'm fit.
    <rollseyes> I can't even with you people. Grump.

FIFY. That's how I roll anyway. Fully admit to being a foodie, but not a food snob. I love to cook and cook for others. I love to eat at fine restaurants because new and exciting foods.

Don't get me wrong though...I also love me some Hardee's burgers.