Avocados

Options
Hello-Christina here

Well I joined a soccer team for the summer and my coach, an older mexican gentleman said --Christinas have you had your avocado today???

I said in typical Pittsburgh accent "huh"

He said yes yes--avocados are great for loosing weight and packed with nutrients. They can be a great breakfast to keep you full all the way until lunch or used as a recovery food.

So I had to do my research
1 medium avocado
322 calories-high but good
29g of fat but-22g-is HDL--
13 grams of fiber
4 grams protein
Vitamins
A-6%, C-33%, E-21%, K-53%, B6-26%
Minerals
Calcium-2%, Iron 6%, potassium-28%,

An easy way to peel get a tomato knife and cut the tippy top and make 1 slice down the fruit--the skin will slip off just like a jacket-Eat with tomatoes! or just take a bite-beware of the pit

Hope this helps---Im from Pittsburgh so the idea of just eating avocados 3xs per week was very foreign to me so I felt compelled to share

Replies

• Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I eat half an avocado pretty often. They are great for the baby too!
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Anecdotally, my best weight loss was when I was typically eating 1 avocado a day.
  • christinamfanning
    Options
    Shut up! Aewsome---maybe i will up my intake then ---Thanks
    Im really beginning to love them --
  • JessicaOnKeto
    JessicaOnKeto Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Woooo! an avocado a day for me! Sometimes maybe even two! :love:
    I :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: AVOCADOS!
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Anecdotally, my best weight loss was when I was typically eating 1 avocado a day.

You guys just eat avocados plain? or is there a better way? I love guac, but I don't know about just plain, lol
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I;ve never gained eating avocado, its the best. I just wish it would keep longer once cut. I learned an interesting way to pick a good one, pick off the little stem at the end and if its green and nice lookng under it than the avocado is fresh and ripe, if its black under there, put it back,
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I love love LOVE avocados! I've never eaten them plain, but I have so many recipes with them for any meal of the day.

Just had some avocado toast this morning with tomatoes, feta, and bacon! :love:
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!!! :love: I mix them in just about everything! LOL!
  • Ashleyxjamie
    Ashleyxjamie Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    :sick: I hate avacados... I wish I didn't because I know they are healthy but the texture makes me sick even when I think about it.
  • Magdaloonie
    Magdaloonie Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I can't live without my avocados! I usually halve them, twist out the pit and eat half at a time with a spoon.
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm my mom was from Chile---when we lived in Chile it wasn't a day without an avocado ( Yes-everyday!!)I don't eat one everyday---but I don't say no to it either---we consider it a "super food" of sorts---I put it on toast--in a salad--on its own with a spoon--make a "lite" shrimp type cocktail and pile it in--(AKA Palta Reina)--add to any latin type food... seriously you can't go wrong-- Haas are the best... however I have recently discovered a type labeled as Bacon Avocado (OMG I LOVE LOVE LOVE BACON!) and it was pretty dang tasty--different texture from the haas--but so so soooooo yummy! Oh please enjoy you avocado---and spread the news!!
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I am eating 1/2 of a large or one small avocado a day right now. I LOVE them.

My lunches this week have been two toasted corn tortillas topped with avocado (mashed with salt and lime juice) with hot sauce. I am addicted to this lunch! :bigsmile:
  • kellykw
    kellykw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I eat an avocado every day!
  • Magdaloonie
    Magdaloonie Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I am eating 1/2 of a large or one small avocado a day right now. I LOVE them.

My lunches this week have been two toasted corn tortillas topped with avocado (mashed with salt and lime juice) with hot sauce. I am addicted to this lunch! :bigsmile:

Oh, I am picking up a fresh lime and doing this, too!
    I also am lucky to have a local tiny company that makes hot sauces and powdered seasoning mixes. Their jalapeno delight is basically instant guac but my favorite is a green chile seasoning. I just sprinkle it on top and dig in.
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I have been eating more of them lately. As a kid we used to cut them in half put salt on them and eat with a spoon. I make a quick guac with them now....half an avocado, garlic, salt chopped onion and lime juice, oh and hot sauce, then I mash it with half a cup of black beans and eat it on top of sliced jicama.
  • faely
    faely Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I usually halve them, twist out the pit and eat half at a time with a spoon.

^This is exactly what I do. I have a small one every single day, sometimes two (that's my indulgence instead of candy). To whoever asked about plain ones, I add a small amount of salt to each half before I eat it. Makes all the difference and doesn't take me over my sodium for the day. I've never gained while eating them.

I buy several at a time, keep them in the fridge, and take one out each night before bed to ripen for eating with breakfast the next day. They last much longer that way.

Sometimes, for a change, I like to take one half, slice it up, put it between 2 slices of whole grain bread, or a small whole grain wrap, and add a couple slices of nitrate-free turkey bacon for a bacon/avocado wrap or sandwich. YUMMM
  • ewdesign85
    ewdesign85 Posts: 28
    Options
    Avocado rock! Top with some sriracha and some pepper, good to go. If you have the room, wrap in turkey bacon. :)
  • christinamfanning
    Options
    well guac can have a lot of sodium and other fillers

Try avocado, sliced roma tomato, 1/4 cup red onion diced and 1tbsp of Kens Light Italian Dressing
  • christinamfanning
    Options
    oooooo definitley trying that
  • christinamfanning
    Options
    Wow looks like Im a super late bloomer in regards to avocado--I blame it on being born and raised in the north but now that im an official Texan--Ill make avocado a staple

I however have 100% given up bread that includes tortillas-seems like bread, chips or tortillas are in all the stuff I have seen---so if anyone has a recipe please share!