Etiquette / Safety for 5K

Options
2»

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    omma_to_3 wrote: »
    All the races I've done allow headphones. Just keep the volume low enough you can still hear people around you. I have no problem hearing my music and hearing others. I run with a friend, we both can hear our music and have a conversation.

Except op already mentioned he has a hard time hearing in general.
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I signed up for my first 5k (May 2015)...what happens if you can't run the entirety of it? Is it bad if you walk the rest of the way?
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    You will see plenty of people walking the 5k. No worries.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I signed up for my first 5k (May 2015)...what happens if you can't run the entirety of it? Is it bad if you walk the rest of the way?

Plenty of people run/walk. There is no requirement to run the whole way. Some races even have people who walk the whole thing. Do what you can.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

My first is April 18, and the plan is to run as much as I can. I am not going to start in front because I know I will be in the way. I'm planning to start towards the end of the runner section. There is a group in this 5K that entered as "walkers" and I plan to line up in front of them at least.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options

My first is April 18, and the plan is to run as much as I can. I am not going to start in front because I know I will be in the way. I'm planning to start towards the end of the runner section. There is a group in this 5K that entered as "walkers" and I plan to line up in front of them at least.

Most races have signs up saying to start "here" if you are running at 6:00/mi, and "here" for 7:00, etc. Just stand by the sign that best describes how fast you think you will be. If everyone is honest then it makes it easy to avoid getting in people's way
  • iankirsch
    iankirsch Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Your first event goal can be just to get around without any pressure