is lifting the only/best way to retain muscle?

Options

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    But that dude is clearly skinny.

It's all relative.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I think some form of resistance training is critical. I don't think one has to necessarily lift or lift "heavy", but resistance training is important.

I'm primarily a fitness rider and put in quite a bit of cardio and I also lift...I've had the opportunity through my coach to meet some collegiate athletes as well as some semi-pro and pro athletes including some pro BMX riders and pro cyclists...they all do some form of resistance training and in most cases, they do some kind of weight training. They're not doing Strong Lifts or anything and obviously lifting isn't priority one...but it is a part of they're training.

I think it really depends on your goals...for the average Joe out there trying to get fit and whatnot I don't think cardio...even quite a bit of cardio is going to be detrimental to anything. And I myself only hit the weight room for about 60 minutes 3x weekly and I don't fuss too much if I have to miss a day...but for an aspiring body builder, I could see things being much different as a lot of cardio would most certainly not put them in an optimal position to put on mass and they would obviously have to put in a lot more volume in the weight room.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    But that dude is clearly skinny. He ran all his size off. Cardio does kill gains if its done to long and to much. If you wanna be tiny run on a treadmill all day. If u want to have muscle and be lean moderate cardio with lots of free weights.

Do you really have a tattoo that says "white pride" on your stomach?

yes he does...why does that matter?

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    But that dude is clearly skinny. He ran all his size off. Cardio does kill gains if its done to long and to much. If you wanna be tiny run on a treadmill all day. If u want to have muscle and be lean moderate cardio with lots of free weights.

I want one that says Pasty Pride.

wait.

that's something else entirely.

wrong forum.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    Physical effects--whether from structured exercise or other activity--occur as a result of the type of activity. Maintenance of muscle can be affected by a number of factors like diet and macro balance. If protein intake is sufficient, there is plenty of research showing that endurance athletes can maintain both nitrogen balance and muscle mass even with hours of aerobic training per week. There was a recent study (sorry didn't keep the link) that showed that a protein intake of double he RDA prevented muscle loss in people using diet alone to lose weight.

OTOH the benefits of resistance training are so far reaching, it's something that should be done on its own merits. But that also can take many forms, not just heavy lifting.

I like this answer. I have seen people retain muscle without lifting.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    with out some more traditional form of resistance, you are unlikely to adequately train type II muscle (or fast twitch, not sure if that's 1 or 2 right now).

But that could be incorporated into HIIT.

Another criticism for say, running, would be that it doesn't offer any measurable resistance for your upper body.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    Physical effects--whether from structured exercise or other activity--occur as a result of the type of activity. Maintenance of muscle can be affected by a number of factors like diet and macro balance. If protein intake is sufficient, there is plenty of research showing that endurance athletes can maintain both nitrogen balance and muscle mass even with hours of aerobic training per week. There was a recent study (sorry didn't keep the link) that showed that a protein intake of double he RDA prevented muscle loss in people using diet alone to lose weight.

OTOH the benefits of resistance training are so far reaching, it's something that should be done on its own merits. But that also can take many forms, not just heavy lifting.

there's nothing here that says how long those studies were done for. you could probably stop lifting for a week, or two, maybe even a month and if you were eating well you might not lose much or any muscle mass but eventually I suspect you would
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I am working on losing a ton of weight and retaining my lean muscle mass (94 lb. gone from a total goal of 151). I swim an hour 3 times a week. It is a good cardio workout, but it also is a good total body strength workout, especially the upper body, because I am pulling my big self through the water which adds resistance.

I am one anecdote but I have definitely gained strength as well as burned fat. I also take an hour water aerobics class right after my laps and I walk at least 10,000 steps on the other 3 days, leaving Sundays to rest.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Why don't you change your profile pic to a swastika, if it doesn't matter? I dare you.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I mean... not really... you just need to learn to balance the energy in/out equation and manipulate the workouts so that you can recover properly. It may be less likely, but there are is certainly individuals out there able to achieve it... (and yes, I'm aware that many may not be natural individuals but that's besides the point).

PicMonkey-Collage-1-1024x341.jpg

http://www.completehumanperformance.com/alex-viada.html
  • JoRocka
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

Why don't you change your profile pic to a swastika, if it doesn't matter? I dare you.

take a giant step back.

We are NOT turning this into a giant racism/nazi thread.

it's not relevant to the discussion at hand regarding lifting and muscle retention.

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

take a giant step back.

We are NOT turning this into a giant racism/nazi thread.

it's not relevant to the discussion at hand regarding lifting and muscle retention.

So are we engaging or if I reply would that just be turning this into a giant racism/Nazi thread?

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options

there's nothing here that says how long those studies were done for. you could probably stop lifting for a week, or two, maybe even a month and if you were eating well you might not lose much or any muscle mass but eventually I suspect you would

Anecdotal evidence doesn't mean much but I think the claims that you are going to shrink away to nothing but fat, bones and skin if you don't lift are over exaggerated. My husband is an endurance athlete who hasn't lifted regularly in years, and still has a decent amount of lean mass (not body builder big, but above average). I lifted in college and high school but took years off and still wasn't "skinny fat". I'm not saying no one should lift, you absolutely should, but it's really not the end of the world if you don't do it, or don't focus on it for a few months out of the year (like during bike season or whatever).
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

IKR, why does it matter? Because...common sense.

It's a public forum with rules for baiting. Not sure how a racist avatar wouldn't be considered baiting at it's highest level...

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options

It's a public forum with rules for baiting. Not sure how a racist avatar wouldn't be considered baiting at it's highest level...

I'd put money on that not even being his picture. So whomever's picture he stole off the internet has a "white pride" tattoo.
  • Hornsby
    Options

I'd put money on that not even being his picture. So whomever's picture he stole off the internet has a "white pride" tattoo.

Point would still remain...

• JoRocka
    Options
    But if we just pretend it doesn't matter and go back to talking about lifting- race baiting avoided.

soooooooooooooooooo

back to lifting.
    So are we engaging
    negative

I like to lift- lots of lifting lift lift lift lift. Do you lift?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

Point would still remain...

No, good call, it's gross. People can do what they like but using a pic with something like that as an avatar isn't conducive to community, like at all
  • Hornsby
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    But if we just pretend it doesn't matter and go back to talking about lifting- race baiting avoided.

While you get nothing but my respect JoRocka, racism isn't something that should be avoided in my opinion.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10204826
    Even with this unrealistic 800 calorie a day diet. The resistance trained group came out way ahead.
    From Bret Contreras on this study:
    "The cardio training group lost 28.2 lbs of fat, lost 9.0 lbs of lean body mass, and decreased resting metabolic rate by 210.7 calories per day. On the other hand, the resistance training group lost 32.0 lbs of fat, lost only 1.8 lbs of lean body mass, and increased resting metabolic rate by 63.3 calories per day"