Losing weight but not clothing size :/

Options
Hi everyone, I'm so sorry as I know this has probably been covered before many times but after a quick scour through the forums, I can't find a thread on it.
I've lost 31lbs so far yet I've not gone down a dress size.
I'm 5'3" and unfortunately apple shaped with a very large bust too and although I've lost it from my hips and towards my back around my hip area (where I never even realised I'd gained weight until I lost it!) - my uniform does look a little looser and my uniform trousers (tailored) do slide down a bit now but I'm beginning to question whether I actually am losing weight or tricking myself with wishful thinking - I must be losing the weight as I always weigh myself on the exact same scales, in the same spot on the floor and at the same time each morning after going to the bathroom but before I eat or drink anything and I can see the weight loss in my face but this lack of needing to get smaller clothes is sort of getting me down .......... has anyone else had similar experiences? x

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you're wearing a higher size number, it can take more time as clothing manufacturers make them so they fit a greater amount. It took me about 20-25 pounds to go from a 22 to a 20. I started wearing a 16 about 8 pounds ago (December) and will probably be into a 14 by April.
  • smr09012
    smr09012 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I have size 22 jeans and I'm 20lbs down, but I'm nowhere near a 20. I actually just needed to buy jeans and the pair (Yes, I just keep one pair. I'm a teacher and wear dresses and leggings 90% of the time.) that I had been wearing were becoming loose so SURELY, I might be able to get a 20. I realized that I had stretched out the 22s I had SO MUCH that they were comparable to 24s in the same style. You're losing, but 30lbs lost is going to be crazy if you were in like a size 6, but malibu is right, the more you have the more it'll take to notice the change in a clothing tag.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    If you're judging by the clothes you currently have, it's very easy to feel like you aren't going down in clothing size.

We're often squeezing ourselves into clothes that don't technically fit and we just don't notice. I've lost 25 pounds and gone down in pants in few sizes, yet I can still fit into pants that I wore 25 pounds ago last year. I thought back and realized I was squeezed into those suckers to the max last year. They're a tiny bit baggy now but still look great. Material, even if it doesn't seem like the type to do it, will give significantly and adjust as we adjust. I didn't realize I actually lost clothing size until I went and got a brand new pair of pants and it was obvious then. It's also a mental thing where you look at yourself in a pair of pants and because it fit for so long, you still think it fits even though someone would easily see you've lost weight.

There's also the problem of losing weight in some places but not the others. You may just lose last in one area. I had that problem with my stomach. I lost a little but I didn't see a real difference for a while because it's the last place I lose. Don't let that discourage you.
  • Frappleberry
    Frappleberry Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'm the same as desmondsdolls, I'm apple shaped with a large bust too. I think that because I've spent the last couple of years wearing leggings and elasticated tunic tops I've lost sight of actual real clothing sizes! I tried on some old (uk) size 18 clothes and they were still tight and these were clothes I bought from the high street 3-4 years ago. It tells me that I have a way to go to get back to where I was then even though I have lost 20lbs! I will get there but have to accept it will longer than I thought, I've had to readjust what the sizes are and how they fit.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    if it makes you feel better at 145 I am a nice fitting size 4...at 150 not so much...size 6 feels better...basically the reverse of this
    If you're wearing a higher size number, it can take more time as clothing manufacturers make them so they fit a greater amount. It took me about 20-25 pounds to go from a 22 to a 20. I started wearing a 16 about 8 pounds ago (December) and will probably be into a 14 by April.

It took me a good 25lbs to get down one size as well (at a larger size)
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    When I started I was 18-20, took me about 50lbs before I could fit in the next size down, but by the time I lost another 50lbs, I was a size 8. Just keep doing what you're doing, don't fret over dress sizes, you'll get there.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Same thing with me. Started at the upper limit if 18 US, still an 18 now 17lb down. I prefer to change sizes when spring finally comes to Canada (yes, in May ;) ) because why buy clothes now that won't fit next winter?
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    It takes awhile. I didn't drop a size until I lost over 20lbs. It was closer to 25lbs. The second 25lbs though I blew through sizes quick.

Total weight lost for me is 50lbs and I went from a 16 to a now 4-7.
  • desmondsdoll
    Options
    Thanks everyone - you've restored my faith in what I'm doing.
    - and the comments on clothing is so right - it's dawned on me that nearly all of my clothes are stretch waist so they'd probably fit me over a multitude of sizes - I need to buy some new work trousers soon so I might have actually lost and not realised.
    - I was a UK 18/20 when I started so maybe I could try a 16/18
    - Keep up the good work everyone and thanks for the lovely, supportive replies :smile:
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I feel your pain! Im down 16kg (about 35 pounds) and still haven't gone down a size.

Technically I have by measurements but I only wore stretchy elasticated pants and my top half is one size smaller than my bottom half anyway. My usual stretchy pants were probably 2 sizes too small to start with.

I have a pair of trousers that were a good couple of inches from buttoning up before I lost weight and now they easily button up and are baggy in the waist. So I know I am getting smaller.
  • katerinawaller
    Options
    Same here... Took ages to lose a trouser size, but then it all sped up! I think I was slow to lose it from my thighs and bottom, but once I started losing there I was changing down trouser sizes every 8/10lbs
  • BlueDaisy717
    BlueDaisy717 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've lost 20 pounds since I last went down a size and I am just about fitting into a smaller size. The last time it took about 14 pounds I think it depends where the weight comes from as well, don't get discouraged it will happen :)
  • Zombieinkpot
    Zombieinkpot Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    When I started I was wearing a UK 30/32 (but was squeezing into them a tad). Took me over a 100lbs to go down a size. Lost 40lbs and now I'm a UK24/22. It can take a while to catch up. You'll get there. :smile:
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    It has taken me about 30 - 40 lb to go down a dress size. My pants sizes have gone down a little quicker but I am busty and the boobies do not seem to let go of the fat. I have lost 3 sizes on top but almost 5 on bottom. I have also gone down 3 band sizes on bras but UP 2 cup sizes.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    It took me a good 35 lbs to need to buy new pants. I'm down nearly 60 now and can still fit in some old tops, and even panties. Makes me wonder how tight I was wearing them before!
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    The lower you get, the faster you change sizes (per lb). However,.. I can still wear some of the close from 38lb ago while also fitting into clothes 2 sizes smaller. Especially the tops.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! I'm wearing 20's now - and am chomping at the bit to fit into my size 18 clothes piled up in my closet! LOL I understand the frustration but yeah, your current clothes probably had a LOT of give so it won't be noticeable yet. :)
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Bit of good/bad news - I bought a dress last year for a Christmas party that I planned on wearing to an awards banquet this weekend. It does fit, but now it's kind of loose and baggy and makes me look as heavy as I was before. LOL. But I'm not going to buy a new dress for this 1x a year occasion while I'm in the midst of weight loss...I can only hope people notice how baggy the dress is rather than how LARGE I look in it, ha!
  • kimberlynicole79
    kimberlynicole79 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm so sorry as I know this has probably been covered before many times but after a quick scour through the forums, I can't find a thread on it.
    I've lost 31lbs so far yet I've not gone down a dress size.
    I'm 5'3" and unfortunately apple shaped with a very large bust too and although I've lost it from my hips and towards my back around my hip area (where I never even realised I'd gained weight until I lost it!) - my uniform does look a little looser and my uniform trousers (tailored) do slide down a bit now but I'm beginning to question whether I actually am losing weight or tricking myself with wishful thinking - I must be losing the weight as I always weigh myself on the exact same scales, in the same spot on the floor and at the same time each morning after going to the bathroom but before I eat or drink anything and I can see the weight loss in my face but this lack of needing to get smaller clothes is sort of getting me down .......... has anyone else had similar experiences? x

Are you strength training? Sorry if this was covered I didnt read the other comments
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    When I first started out it took around 40lbs to drop a size, and that was with starting at over 300lbs.

Remember too that not all clothes sizes are made equal. In my wardrobe I have clothes from size (Aus/NZ) 8 to size 16 and they all fit me.