Losing weight but not clothing size :/

Options

Replies

• kimberlynicole79
    kimberlynicole79 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Bit of good/bad news - I bought a dress last year for a Christmas party that I planned on wearing to an awards banquet this weekend. It does fit, but now it's kind of loose and baggy and makes me look as heavy as I was before. LOL. But I'm not going to buy a new dress for this 1x a year occasion while I'm in the midst of weight loss...I can only hope people notice how baggy the dress is rather than how LARGE I look in it, ha!

Thats bitter sweet!
    Just dont over consume bc its too loose. Sometimes Ill wear clothes that are a little too tight just to remind me not to over eat lol. stuffed sausage mode haha
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    LOL @stuffed sausage!

I'm saving most of my calories that day - I'll be eating a very light breakfast and lunch and going to the gym before hand, so I can enjoy more alcoholic beverages ...er, food.
  • desmondsdoll
    Options
    ktrader wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I'm so sorry as I know this has probably been covered before many times but after a quick scour through the forums, I can't find a thread on it.
    I've lost 31lbs so far yet I've not gone down a dress size.
    I'm 5'3" and unfortunately apple shaped with a very large bust too and although I've lost it from my hips and towards my back around my hip area (where I never even realised I'd gained weight until I lost it!) - my uniform does look a little looser and my uniform trousers (tailored) do slide down a bit now but I'm beginning to question whether I actually am losing weight or tricking myself with wishful thinking - I must be losing the weight as I always weigh myself on the exact same scales, in the same spot on the floor and at the same time each morning after going to the bathroom but before I eat or drink anything and I can see the weight loss in my face but this lack of needing to get smaller clothes is sort of getting me down .......... has anyone else had similar experiences? x

Are you strength training? Sorry if this was covered I didnt read the other comments
    No because I'm disabled and my illness has flared up right now so I can't do it without injuring myself - the only exercise I'm currently getting is 20 minutes of moderate pace walking per day :smile:
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I wear a 14 if I'm 193 (highest) or I'm 170. I wear a 8 at 155 and a 6 at 150. The bigger the size the more time it takes to get out of it. I have lost 12lbs since Dec. 10th, 2014, and went from a tight 12 to a roomy 8. I'm assuming I'll be in 6's in about 5lbs.

Keep on chugging!
  • desmondsdoll
    Options
    I'm logging off for the evening now but I really do thank each of you for the wise words and support - it's made me realise it's worth keeping at it :smile:
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    It took me a good 35 lbs to need to buy new pants. I'm down nearly 60 now and can still fit in some old tops, and even panties. Makes me wonder how tight I was wearing them before!

I had 3 different sizes of panties in my drawer from the time I was gaining weight and I wore all of them. They were grannie panties so, as long as the waist elastic wasn't stretched out, they stayed up. I finally ditched them all and bought 10 pairs in my new size, which hopefully will last until I reach goal.

It is winter and I wear a lot of sweaters which look fine even if they are a bit big (same thing with T-shirts for summer wear). I didn't have to buy anything new until recently except bras, jeans and black dress pants. I just bought a few things for the spring into summer season. I will need to get some shorts and capris for summer, then go to town next year.

• kimberlynicole79
    Options
    ktrader wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I'm so sorry as I know this has probably been covered before many times but after a quick scour through the forums, I can't find a thread on it.
    I've lost 31lbs so far yet I've not gone down a dress size.
    I'm 5'3" and unfortunately apple shaped with a very large bust too and although I've lost it from my hips and towards my back around my hip area (where I never even realised I'd gained weight until I lost it!) - my uniform does look a little looser and my uniform trousers (tailored) do slide down a bit now but I'm beginning to question whether I actually am losing weight or tricking myself with wishful thinking - I must be losing the weight as I always weigh myself on the exact same scales, in the same spot on the floor and at the same time each morning after going to the bathroom but before I eat or drink anything and I can see the weight loss in my face but this lack of needing to get smaller clothes is sort of getting me down .......... has anyone else had similar experiences? x

Are you strength training? Sorry if this was covered I didnt read the other comments
    No because I'm disabled and my illness has flared up right now so I can't do it without injuring myself - the only exercise I'm currently getting is 20 minutes of moderate pace walking per day :smile:

ah ok. just wondering but year it seems like most of the comments suggest that you will notice once more weight is gone. I know for me 5-10 lbs doesnt make a difference with size except for the size im in fits better.

• kimberlynicole79
    Options
    LOL @stuffed sausage!

I'm saving most of my calories that day - I'll be eating a very light breakfast and lunch and going to the gym before hand, so I can enjoy more alcoholic beverages ...er, food.
    hahaha! Im going to continue to consume alcohol and count it as long as Im losing weight once I plateau then Ill cut it out for awhile. Im just starting out though so we shall see when that needs to happen
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I don't wear dresses. But it took me 40lbs to go from an 16/18 to a 12 jean.....it can all depend what brand and where your body loses from. Just keep going!!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I think too that it really just depends on where/how your body stores weight. I'm short and shaped like a bird, but at 170 my upper arms and thighs had finally gotten big. The first 10 pounds I lost came completely from my arms and legs. For me, the places where the weight came on last are the places it's gone away from first.
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    Bit of good/bad news - I bought a dress last year for a Christmas party that I planned on wearing to an awards banquet this weekend. It does fit, but now it's kind of loose and baggy and makes me look as heavy as I was before. LOL. But I'm not going to buy a new dress for this 1x a year occasion while I'm in the midst of weight loss...I can only hope people notice how baggy the dress is rather than how LARGE I look in it, ha!

I know how you feel! My mother in law bought me a high end tankini last year (around 40 pounds and three sizes ago). I tried it on a few weeks ago to see if I should bring it on an upcoming family vacation, but it looks even worse now than then!

The top half has waves of material intended to hide any bumps, but with a B stomach, it actually accentuates the weight on my top abs while totally hiding my well defined waist. The bottom is a skirt, which similarly flares out with my tummy, drawing a worse comparison between tummy and muscular legs when dry and cling horribly to my tummy when wet.

I ended up buying a new tankini with short althletic style shorts that dry quickly and an althletic, streamlined top for this year.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'1 and started at 250 and am 227 now. im just NOW starting to see a change in clothes size - jackets i couldnt zip before now zip, ive lost 4" and a size in tops. the bottom half of me is taking its sweet time (sigh) but i assume will get there eventually lolol

i have noticed my jeans are feeling looser, but not enough to go down a size (yet)
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I think too that it really just depends on where/how your body stores weight. I'm short and shaped like a bird, but at 170 my upper arms and thighs had finally gotten big. The first 10 pounds I lost came completely from my arms and legs. For me, the places where the weight came on last are the places it's gone away from first.

that seems to be the case for me, too. for years and years i would say (and was) i was 'normal sized on top and plus sized on bottom' - well, that changed to plus sized all over over the past several years but has started to shift with the weight coming off the top of me first so.... yup - its the 'last hired first fired' syndrome LOLOL
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I've lost 50 - I am not even the tiniest bit closer to going down a clothing size. I work out 4-6 days a week but still no changes. Gotta happen sometime though I guess....
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options

I ended up buying a new tankini with short althletic style shorts that dry quickly and an althletic, streamlined top for this year.

That is probably what I will end up doing this year as well since I will still be in "transition" - buying a top only and pairing it with shorts....

I can't even think about a swimsuit yet even though they are already starting to appear in stores... I really don't know what size I will be by July when I need it...no idea how much or how little progress I will make! I don't want to buy until mid-late June at the earliest but by then a lot of suits are picked over and only the ugly, "Far Side Lady" ones are around.

• dozyangel
    dozyangel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi guys I was a UK size 24 at 267 lbs I've lost 47 lbs and not a dress size. What exercise would you recommend to start toning the flabby belly thighs and bum. I think if I started to tone those then the next dress size will be in sight. Thoughts please
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Believe it or not, I still wear clothes that are 2-3 sizes too big and they still look good on me. Don't expect things to be falling off. The way you will notice a difference in clothes is by already having something that is a size too small and watch yourself gradually fit into it. I can still wear my size 20 jeans because the material is elastic and they just expanded to my size (I'm currently a size 16) but back when I wore them I could barely get my size 16 jeans above the knees. Every once in awhile I would try them out and watch them go up higher and higher, then recently they finally zipped up comfortably. If I didn't have a smaller size to compare with I would have thought I was still a size 20 because my size 20 jeans still fit perfectly.

Edit: oops. A necro.

@dozyangel Just keep losing weight. It will come, trust me. Toning will not change the way your fat looks at a heavy weight by a lot because your muscles will be hidden under the fat, but it's a good idea to start a strength training program because it has a lot of long term benefits.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    dozyangel wrote: »
    Hi guys I was a UK size 24 at 267 lbs I've lost 47 lbs and not a dress size. What exercise would you recommend to start toning the flabby belly thighs and bum. I think if I started to tone those then the next dress size will be in sight. Thoughts please

Everything @amusedmonkey said. Plus you can't target specific areas. The fat will come off from where it wants, and unfortunately some places are quite difficult to lose.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    dozyangel wrote: »

Walking uphill and climbing stairs are the best and simplest bum and thigh firmers around
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I had the same issues before - I would work SO HARD and wouldn't lose a size. Well, then this summer we finally got a scale, and I could *see* the progress in some way. I've lost a total of 30 lbs and FINALLY gone down ONE dress size. Whew! So now I know I just have to keep going.

Don't give up!
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I started between a size 22 and 24, and it took until I'd lost 30lbs for the 22's to start getting loose. After that, it really kicked in. It starts going quickly after that and it can be a pain in the butt getting dressed every day. Be patient.

I'm in a 14 now, and still dropping. It just took some time for the clothes in the beginning. Now it's about fifteen pounds to a size.