NSV: Fat Girl Does C25K - in Public!

Options
sorcha1977
sorcha1977 Posts: 133 Member
Yesterday, I decided to start C25K. I weigh 296 pounds, and while I don't mind walking around my neighborhood, I wasn't sure about actually jogging.

There is a little track at the intermediate school near my house. It's kind of hidden by the ivy over the fence, and the only people who can see are those who drive by one side and anyone who might be at the playground.

I waited until dusk because I was kind of a chicken.

When I showed up, there were three families on the playground, some maintenance workers on scaffolding along the wall of the school, and two people playing Frisbee with their dogs on the grass inside the track.

/whimper

Well, I figured, "Whatever," and started the walk portion. As it got closer and closer to the first "run" portion, my brain went, "You have to do this. I don't want to do this. They're watching. Oh, who cares? But I might suck. But they might laugh. But they might yell things. Big deal. You've lost so much weight. Ignore them."

Finally, the last couple of seconds ticked down, and my brain finally went, "Oh, EFF IT," and I started jogging.

And it was fun!

Nobody said a word or looked at me (and I probably wouldn't have noticed). I just kept at it, and if anyone was making fun of me, I didn't care. At least I was out there giving it my best and trying my hardest. I ran all of the running portions (slowly, but steadily) and tried to focus on my form and breathing.

Now I can't wait to start Day 2 tomorrow. :) I might even go before sundown. ;)

Replies

• sorcha1977
    Options
    Oh, and those dogs ran with me for parts of the running portion. It was pretty funny. :) Their owners kept apologizing, and I just waved them off. I love dogs, and they weren't getting in my way or nipping or anything. They were just having fun and playing.
  • bug1106
    bug1106 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    good for you! I am about to start C25K!
  • zenyacleveland
    zenyacleveland Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Stay encouraged!!!!
  • altygirl
    altygirl Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! I'm starting/trying to run and would love to do a 5K. I do my interval running (plodding) at the gym and am very self conscious about doing it in public so a big WOOHOO to you. :)
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    keep up the burn!!

Do not worry about others

You do it for you

wear headphones and focus on the music, there are podcasts that will help you train, with different tempos they are awesome

or create your own (with positive music!!)
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Awesome work! :heart: running NSVs!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Good for you ....... keep on truckin' !

:drinker:
  • DFineMrsRicks
    DFineMrsRicks Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    W2G! taking the first step is the hardest. I started C25K about 3 weeks ago and my biggest fear was "being the fat girl running", now I am like so what I am off the couch and trying to correct my health. I actually enjoy running now.
  • sorcha1977
    Options
    keep up the burn!!

Do not worry about others

You do it for you

wear headphones and focus on the music, there are podcasts that will help you train, with different tempos they are awesome

or create your own (with positive music!!)

I should have mentioned that. :) I'm using the C25K app. It lets me listen to my own music at the same time, right in the app itself, so I don't have to switch between the app and iTunes. I made a playlist of songs that fit the tempo I want to focus on right now, and it really helped.
  • grannykarla
    grannykarla Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way when I started C25K. I put on my sunglasses because I thought it might make me invisible. But no one paid any attention to me, they were enjoying the park. It was an awesome feeling when I finished it, No one could have wiped the smile off of my face. Keep up the great work! :wink:
  • sorcha1977
    Options
    Congratulations!! I'm starting/trying to run and would love to do a 5K. I do my interval running (plodding) at the gym and am very self conscious about doing it in public so a big WOOHOO to you. :)

I decided to do it at the little track because I didn't want to fiddle with the treadmill every 60-90 seconds. Plus, if I need to slow down a bit or something, I can just slow down instead of hitting the speed button for the millionth time. Once I can run at a steady pace, I might switch to the gym. Being outside is so nice, though. I love the fresh air. :) If it gets really hot, I'll definitely head to the gym. I hate hot weather. Last night, it was around 70-75 degrees, and it was absolutely perfect.
  • seblagg
    seblagg Posts: 42
    Options
    Good for you! I'm around the same weight you are and I'm hoping to start C25K today. I hope to be ready for an actual 5K by September. Keep up the good work! :)
  • Wrenbot87
    Wrenbot87 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I started C25K and I was 289....I have my very last run on the program (that's right W9D3) and I'm weighing in at 263. Weight loss wise it was great! Self pride wise it is phenomenal!!! I'm running right under 3 miles now and my first 5k is in a few weeks. Stick with it, it is totally worth it. It has made a runner out of me. It won't always be easy, and some days it will be all you can do to just finish, just keep pushing! Good luck!
  • Colliex3
    Colliex3 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Good for you! At one point or another we all have that 1st fear of running in public. Moments like that I wish I was alittle kid again and had no fears. Keep it up!
  • Sassybmom
    Sassybmom Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Way to go! It's awesome that you aren't standing in your own way! Get it woman!
  • Azkadelia
    Azkadelia Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Awesome. I too am chicken to jog in public. I feel like everyone is going to stare at me. Thanks for posting!
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Congraulations! Be proud! Keep the marvelous attitude & you can accomplish anything. Anyone who would be negative in any way isn't worth the time of day.
  • pkinblue
    pkinblue Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I know there are some very judgmental folks in the world but I know that whenever I see anyone working out--regardless of size, speed, age or sport I smile and think that they are setting a good, healthy example for anyone who cares to look at them. I hope that my huffing and puffing self inspires someone someday too.
  • dupaboo
    dupaboo Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Yay!! I completely understand. I had that same "fear." Run on!!!
  • mandylgibbs
    mandylgibbs Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I'm at 262 lbs on week 8 of c25k. I really love it. At first I was shy and a little self conscious but I've gotten to the point now that I don't care at all what others think because I know I can do something that the majority of people can't. I don't know a whole lot of people who start their days with a 3 mile run.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!