NSV: Fat Girl Does C25K - in Public!

Options

Replies

• sorcha1977
    sorcha1977 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    And if no one's posted this http://flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html it's so worth reading. Don't take offense at the title, it's well written and makes me sniffle every time I read it.

I read that a year or so ago, right when I first started losing weight. I really like it. :)

And as you can see by the title of this thread, I don't take offense to it. ;)
  • sorcha1977
    sorcha1977 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Great Job. We are doing Run for God at our church which is the same thing you are doing but with a bible study. I have found that I love running. Something I never thought I would. Keep up the good work. Who knows.....you may have stumbled onto something that you love :)

Do you have scripture quotes that come up through your headphones every few minutes, or do you run and then have a bible study, or...? This confused me. :) It sounds like a nice group, though.
  • shanellef05
    shanellef05 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I just want to say awesome job! I started the c25k as well. Lucky for me I have a treadmill so I haven't ventured outside yet. Tomorrow I'm on week 2 day 3. So far so good. I'm not running very fast either. My first goal is to be able to run without stopping for 20-30 minutes then I'll work in speed.
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Great job and keep it up!! I have an interval timer app on my iPod touch and loooooove it - same thing, lets me use my own playlist. :) If you get bored with your music, there are some good running podcasts out there that'll keep you interested and may give you some extra info/motivation. :)
  • XAVTAY2
    XAVTAY2 Posts: 58
    Options
    Congrats on just doing it! Your body is much stronger than you may think.... Can wait to hear about your runs....AWESOME
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    keep up the burn!!

Do not worry about others

You do it for you

wear headphones and focus on the music, there are podcasts that will help you train, with different tempos they are awesome

or create your own (with positive music!!)

What she said!!

There isn't anybody out there who is going to go through the pain form me...so I'll have to do it for myself.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    lol very good job!! :drinker:

I was afraid to start last year, too - same reasoning... But I just sucked it up and did it, put some music in my ears to drown out whatever mutterings I only imagined, and it wasn't as big a deal as I made it to be in my head.
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I love stories like this!! Congrats and keep up the hard work :drinker:
  • Phoenixchichima
    Options
    I totally get "afraid to run in public" . & would only walk/run after dark
    but look at you! you're not a joke, you're ain inspriration! fab@
  • MichelleKS37
    MichelleKS37 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Way to go!! I know what it's like to not want people to look at you. I struggle with that just in my own neighborhood but you are an inspiration by sharing this story! Thanks for doing that!
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    When I see overweight people run (or do any form of exercise) and yes I'm overweight and run occasionally, I smile and feel so proud of them for getting out there and doing what they can to get to a healthier place. Good for you and I hope you keep it going!! And congrats on your 61 lb loss already!!
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    What app did you use? to have the C25K cues on your playlist

The cues aren't on the playlist. If you download "C25K Free" from the Apple Store and turn your music on, you'll see the songs with the little arrows right in the C25K app. That way, you can have the C25K app active and still switch songs if you want.

To find songs that fit the tempo/pace you want, you can check out JogFM. You put in the speed you want (per mile or km), and it'll give you hundreds of songs that fit that pace. It's based on beats per minute. For example, a 12:00 mile is 130 bpm. It helps prevent you from going too fast, as long as you can run on-rhythm. I found that 12:00 was too slow for me; my feet wanted to go more like 11:00 and felt comfortable there, so I'm going to make a new playlist tonight.

Never hear of jogFM!! This is awesome! Thanks!!!
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    makes me so happy to read :) i've gone up to week 6 of c25K...and then i had the 5k..."ran" it the whole way through. 37 minutes. i'm now training for a 10k with a similar program. i just started at week 5 since i already had some running under my belt.

i am proud of you!
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    You go girl! Everyone starts somewhere!

Karen
  • marylou1976
    marylou1976 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    well done on taking the step, great going. I started C25K then got an injury but i want to start it again, and great advice re the music, I always get a bit bored

have you read this (it has been posted on here beofre but I couldn't find it)

http://www.marathonconfessions.com/2012/08/hey-fat-girl.html

excellent progress keep up the good work
  • ScarlettVamp
    ScarlettVamp Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    So proud of you!! I walk with jogging intervals in my neighborhood and couldn't care less who is looking or what they think. Heck, I even threw in some "Prancercise" while walking with a friend a couple of nights ago (acting silly is fun!:tongue: ) and people looked at me like I was nuts. Whatever! I was moving and that's what matters. :happy:
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I'm your exact same weight, so I know how much of a BIG STEP that first one is. It is true, though......WE sometimes care a lot more than the other people around us - in terms of .....am i jiggling too much, does everyone think i look ridiculous...that kind of thing. Great job for pushing through the embarrassment and being awesome!
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to mention...I use Ease into 5K https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ease-into-5k/id301233668?mt=8 . It plays all my music or any playlist I make on my iPhone, and has audio clues for "run" and "walk" etc.
  • BadassCrossfitMama
    BadassCrossfitMama Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    way to go! I just started c25k yesterday myself - week 1 day 1 (3 x a week) I was iffy about trying it again b/c last year when I tried it I could barely run 1/2 of the run portions for day1 week 1. Yesterday I did them all - slow & steady like you said. it's such a confidence builder.
  • Tandi_S
    Tandi_S Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    WIN!!! :flowerforyou:

Keep up the awesome work! Double WIN that you were having fun! :happy:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!