Is it bad to drink soda every day?

Options
xstephnz
xstephnz Posts: 278 Member
I've started drinking one can of soda (pepsi max/diet coke etc), once a day, as a treat, since most foods are off limit.

Sometimes it's hard to stop at once.

And also you mostly hear about people trying to QUIT soda, out of health reasons.

Is it ok to have this one vice, or should I avoid it completely?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Please have your soda if you like it.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't affect you I see no reason to give it up.

I have given it up because it does cause me problems.
  • markroome2015
    Options
    Do the math. One can of regular soda contributes about 15 pounds to your weight over the course of a year. Diet soda is not a reasonable alternative: research has shown that people who drink diet soda regularly still have higher rates of type 2 diabetes, hypertension and obesity. Bottom line: all soda on a regular basis is not good for us.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It's as they say. Everything in moderation. Plus diet has no calories so it won't affect your weight loss
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,986 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Do the math. One can of regular soda contributes about 15 pounds to your weight over the course of a year. Diet soda is not a reasonable alternative: research has shown that people who drink diet soda regularly still have higher rates of type 2 diabetes, hypertension and obesity. Bottom line: all soda on a regular basis is not good for us.
    frightening. Orange juice is better, wut.

• GintleSpirit
    GintleSpirit Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Soda is not healthy for you... it contains too much sugar. I've heard lots of bad things about zero calorie sodas with aspertane... but i drink it still and it doesnt contribute to any weight gain for me. The argument is that it is linked to cancer, etc... but there isnt one study that proves that. Also, the argument is that it makes your body crave sugar, but I dont experience that because I'm in control on what I feed my body and I have mental will power to redirect my cravings to something healthier. I recommend staying away from soda, and if you must have something, do zero calorie once in a while.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    is it healthy? no

can you drink it if it fits in your calorie allowance? sure.

i was a dr pepper addict. i quit and will have a diet soda on occasion now, but certainly not every day, all day like i used to. id rather eat my calories LOL
  • midnight419
    midnight419 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Well, soda is certainly not healthy, which I'm sure you know.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    So certain foods are off limits but a soda isn't? Sure, drink it if you want. I don't know how many calories are in a soda...like 130 or something? You can have 130 calories in ice cream if you prefer as well.
  • xstephnz
    Options
    I don't think I'm gonna do this anymore. Just seems dumb. :-/
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    xstephnz wrote: »
    I don't think I'm gonna do this anymore. Just seems dumb. :-/

The soda?
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I drInk at least one can of diet soda a day and it did not hinder my weight loss. Do what works for you.
  • Greeneyedgrl_24
    Greeneyedgrl_24 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Lost over 100 pounds drinking my Diet Pepsi and it has never hindered my weight loss.
    Moderation is key, please educate yourself and steer clear from the fear-mongering pop(soda) haters.

Best of luck! :)
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    no its not bad.
  • SarenaWM
    SarenaWM Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I drink a can of Zevia whenever I need to fend off the after dinner munchies. It tastes just like regular pop, but it is sweetened with stevia, so no weird chemicals or calories. They have a lot of flavours that are knock offs of classic pops (like Coke, Dr. Pepper..) you should try some! I even have my Dad drinking them instead, and he is the junk food king! Definitely a better alternative. :)
  • xstephnz
    Options
    SarenaWM wrote: »
    I drink a can of Zevia whenever I need to fend off the after dinner munchies. It tastes just like regular pop, but it is sweetened with stevia, so no weird chemicals or calories. They have a lot of flavours that are knock offs of classic pops (like Coke, Dr. Pepper..) you should try some! I even have my Dad drinking them instead, and he is the junk food king! Definitely a better alternative. :)

Not sure if they have that in New Zealand, but thanks! :)
  • shexaypants
    shexaypants Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Calories aren't the only thing you should focus on if you're wanting to be healthy. Soda in general is awful for you diet or otherwise. Sugar..fake sugar...carbohydrates.. It's all not good for you. But we all have vices. I sneak oreos here and there
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I don't drink soda period. I don't drink my sugar intake.
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    Options
    xstephnz wrote: »
    I've started drinking one can of soda (pepsi max/diet coke etc), once a day, as a treat, since most foods are off limit.

Sometimes it's hard to stop at once.

And also you mostly hear about people trying to QUIT soda, out of health reasons.

Is it ok to have this one vice, or should I avoid it completely?

when i started with my first trainer, that was one of the first things to go. I substituted that for water flavored with crystal light....and drink 3-5 water bottles (24 oz each) per day. the only time i have diet soda is if I'm eating out at a restaurant and then I don't usually drink the whole thing anyway.

• cassie858
    cassie858 Posts: 50 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    QUIT QUIT QUIT QUIT QUIT QUIT

I could go into why sweeteners and diet drinks are REALLY bad for you, but more importantly maybe to you, is that they WILL keep your body addicted to sugar. They may be zero calorie but will still give your body a spike in glucose levels, thus sending you on that rollercoaster of food cravings later in the day.

One diet soda every now and again wont kill you or hinder your weight loss, but why have it at all?

Please, if you want to be healthy.. drink neither... water is the miracle medicine for our bodies
This discussion has been closed.