Is it bad to drink soda every day?

Options

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I drink a can of diet soda every day...hasn't caused me any problems.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Carbonation causes temporary tummy bloat . . . .
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Do the math. One can of regular soda contributes about 15 pounds to your weight over the course of a year. Diet soda is not a reasonable alternative: research has shown that people who drink diet soda regularly still have higher rates of type 2 diabetes, hypertension and obesity. Bottom line: all soda on a regular basis is not good for us.

I'm not sure what kind of math you used to figure that out, but I'm pretty sure it's not a discipline used on planet earth. And secondly, correlation is not causation, so don't claim that it is.

Rigger

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I drink at least 3 cans of diet pop a day (I can't call is soda, lol!). I have losy 13# in the last 8 weeks.

Before I had my baby 6 months ago...I lost 40# in 6 months drinking diet pop each day.

If you enjoy it, drink it.
  • StephJC81
    StephJC81 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    xstephnz wrote: »
    I've started drinking one can of soda (pepsi max/diet coke etc), once a day, as a treat, since most foods are off limit.

Sometimes it's hard to stop at once.

And also you mostly hear about people trying to QUIT soda, out of health reasons.

Is it ok to have this one vice, or should I avoid it completely?

lol...uhm....it's not considered a "treat" if you have it every day....I'm completely against soda. If you want to throw a bunch of nasty chemicals into your body every day, then by all means, go for it. How's that working out for you so far...?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    jt880 wrote: »
    Can you post a link with scientific data stating that aspartame is good for you? Why not just use stevia drops and a home carbonator? Thats what i do my soda has 0 calories.

There is nothing that proves that it is good for you, but there are tons of studies that show that it is not bad for you, and that is the important thing. No, it adds nothing nutrition-wise but it does not harm.

Stevia tastes bad, so I don't use it.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    bgorum wrote: »
    Carbonation causes temporary tummy bloat . . . .

A good burp takes care of that. Let er rip!

• ladybuggnorris
    ladybuggnorris Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking soda of any sort at the beginning of January and I feel sooo much better. That being said, everyone is different and I know mine was a real addiction. If you can enjoy it, regular or diet, but keep it under control, then I say go for it!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm a little concerned that you mentioned foods that are off limits, since I am a firm believer that the less restrictions you force yourself into, the better the chance that you will be successful.

But regardless, I drink probably 4-7 sodas a week. Sometimes diet, sometimes regular, depending on how I'm doing calorie wise. As long as it fits in your calories, go for it.

The studies about artificial sweeteners that "prove" anything were done on rats/mice and involved insane amounts of consumption. So I say have your one can a day if it helps you get through the day. Maybe someday when my diet is otherwise perfect I will work soda out of the picture, but I'm no where near that :drinker:
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Stevia tastes awful.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    xstephnz wrote: »
    I've started drinking one can of soda (pepsi max/diet coke etc), once a day, as a treat, since most foods are off limit.

Sometimes it's hard to stop at once.

And also you mostly hear about people trying to QUIT soda, out of health reasons.

Is it ok to have this one vice, or should I avoid it completely?

No food is off limits, this includes soda. Eat whatever you love and drink whatever you love. All you have to do is make sure that they fit into your daily calories. You'll lose weight. It's that simple. :drinker:
  • wearmi1
    wearmi1 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I like the fizzy carbonated feeling you get from soda so I drink sparkling water. It's a better alternative to soda if you want something carbonated. Plus there are some really good ones on the market right now. I personally enjoy the Lacroix brand sparkling water, but the Target brand ones are pretty good too.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    So certain foods are off limits but a soda isn't? Sure, drink it if you want. I don't know how many calories are in a soda...like 130 or something? You can have 130 calories in ice cream if you prefer as well.

This.

To the OP, when I compare a can of soda (or pop) to the equivalent calories in some chocolate or ice cream or cheese or olives, etc. (insert your favorite higher calorie food here), there's no comparison and I just couldn't bring myself to waste calories on the soda (especially since I prefer the taste of diet), but I'm possibly weird, I also consider a spoonful of peanut butter a waste. It's really a matter of taste and what makes it easiest for you to stay within your calories.

I'm currently off the diet stuff too, because I'm doing one of my semi-regular "we don't want to be addicted to caffeine, now, do we" phases (coffee is the hard part of this for me, because I LOVE coffee so very much), but I never found that it hurt my weight loss. Yeah, it also doesn't add anything special to one's diet, but neither does stevia or plenty of other things that are fine to consume. (I like and sometimes drink some of the Zevia's, but sometimes a Diet Coke is the thing.)
  • Lezavargas
    Lezavargas Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you enjoy the sciency stuff or not but if your interested in a very eye opening bit on this very subject, look up "fructose 2.0" on youtube. Its a long video so if you have a short attention span, just watch the last 10 minutes :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Well, soda is certainly not healthy, which I'm sure you know.

Nothing wrong with diet soda, which I know. After evaluating all the claims out there. No calories, hydration, and a little zip. What's not to love?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    squirrlt wrote: »
    ... they have to coat the inside of the cans with a special material to prevent the acids in the soda from EATING THROUGH THE METAL...

Better give up orange juice then, because it's full of natural acid too.

• squirrlt
    squirrlt Posts: 106 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    ... they have to coat the inside of the cans with a special material to prevent the acids in the soda from EATING THROUGH THE METAL...

Better give up orange juice then, because it's full of natural acid too.

Don't have to, I never liked OJ. But since you mention it, OJ is less acidic than soda (and has some other redeeming qualities, what does soda have? And so far, I haven't seen it eat metal or used in car care) For example, Coke's pH is 2.5, OJ is a little better at 3.5. For perspective, battery acid is 1.0, tap water is around 7-8. But of course, drink what you like, it's your body. Personally, if I were going to drink something every single day as OP mentions doing, I'd choose something more towards the water end of the scale (like water!) when given the option and treat myself with something a little healthier or filling. Just my opinion.
  • xstephnz
    xstephnz Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Calories aside, I loved soda (but we call it pop here, I'm cringing at "soda" lol). However, after I learned from a can manufacturing plant that they have to coat the inside of the cans with a special material to prevent the acids in the soda from EATING THROUGH THE METAL, I have no trouble avoiding it now. I can't take a sip anymore without thinking that I'm bathing my teeth in that acid. Doesn't matter if it's diet or not.

Eww that's nasty. Thanks for telling me!
  • Lezavargas
    Lezavargas Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    The bottom line is that the sugars in soda are processed in your body in such a way that it tells your body that it is starving and that you need to eat more. It also tells your brain to go into lethargy mode saying, in essence, "stop moving! We are starving! We need to conserve energy!" In addition you body is also told to store fat, not burn it. If you enjoy educating yourself in regards to the body's physiology it is a very interesting video. If you are more of a short attention span kinda person, just watch the last 10 minutes. It is a very enlightening video for anyone that feels like they are doing everything right by eating "diet" this and "low fat" that, but cant seem to lose the weight. It also goes into great detail about the fact that skinny doesnt neccessarily mean healthy and fat doesnt neccessarily mean unheathy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I feel dumber for having wasted time on this thread and the sheer amount of derp therein...

ok-then.gif
This discussion has been closed.