Is it bad to drink soda every day?

Options
124»

Replies

• Lezavargas
    Lezavargas Posts: 223 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Its not my study its Dr Lustig's of the University of California. Dont worry I wouldnt expect most of you to actually watch the video, but for those that are interested in the physiology of the body, enjoy :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ceFyF9px20Y
  • Lezavargas
    Options
    Lol your right, silly me for heeding the warnings of a credential laden MD.

http://profiles.ucsf.edu/robert.lustig
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    squirrlt wrote: »
    Calories aside, I loved soda (but we call it pop here, I'm cringing at "soda" lol). However, after I learned from a can manufacturing plant that they have to coat the inside of the cans with a special material to prevent the acids in the soda from EATING THROUGH THE METAL, I have no trouble avoiding it now. I can't take a sip anymore without thinking that I'm bathing my teeth in that acid. Doesn't matter if it's diet or not.

Good grief. The "special material" (cue erie music sounds) that they coat the cans with is called...plastic. The don't use to prevent the soda from EATING TROUGH THE METAL, they do it so that the soda does not react chemically with the can lining (to preserve taste, color, carbonation, etc).

A sip of soda is considered "bathing" to you? Who holds soda in their mouth for more than a second or two? Nobody. Brush your teeth, problem solved.

There are a ton of household items that contain acid that will disolve all sorts of items if you keep them on the item for long enough.

Scared is no way to go through life. Scared, incorrect, and believing in woo is even worse. And what's even funnier is that of all the comments the OP has gotten on her thread, yours is the one she "thanked".

Interesting.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Lezavargas wrote: »

Ah, the appeal to authority. I think you would be significantly less impressed by credential-laden MDs who don't agree with your "sugar is evil" theory. Or do their credentials count too?
  • Lezavargas
    Options
    As I recall...the OP asked a question. I have given my opinion and the science supporting it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, as they are entitled to do to their own body as they chose. Youre not going to change my mind because Ive already experienced the incredible difference it has made for me, and im not going to change youre mind, nor am I attempting to. I am simply responding to a question. I would rather change my eating habits now and find out later that sugar is complety harmless than to continue to consume it, only to find out that it is as toxic as some claim and that I could have taken a step to improve my health earlier.
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options

Just so you are aware - Lustig is considered a quack by almost all actual scientists and doctors....

Just so you know who you are citing
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'm concerned that you say most foods are off limits. That doesn't seem like an idea that is going to help you - foods should be moderated, not restricted unless there's a specific health issue going on. That being said, if you want to have one diet soda a day, that shouldn't be a problem. I personally have a bottle of cherry coke zero with my lunch every single day.
  • Lezavargas
    Options
    s_pekz wrote: »

Just so you are aware - Lustig is considered a quack by almost all actual scientists and doctors....

Just so you know who you are citing

So were the first scientists that came out speaking against cigarettes......
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    All I know is we used cans of Coke in the Marines to clean the hard scuffs of the floor from our boots. In boot camp we had no soda for 3 months after my first can my muscles hurt so bad I couldn't stand it. I believe soda is no good for you. People will say eat anything you want as long as it fits in your calories but i think there are some exceptions Soda is one of them.
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't effect your weight loss or goals and you don't care about the other stuff people say (true or not) - have it
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    The bottom line is that the sugars in soda are processed in your body in such a way that it tells your body that it is starving and that you need to eat more. It also tells your brain to go into lethargy mode saying, in essence, "stop moving! We are starving! We need to conserve energy!" In addition you body is also told to store fat, not burn it. If you enjoy educating yourself in regards to the body's physiology it is a very interesting video. If you are more of a short attention span kinda person, just watch the last 10 minutes. It is a very enlightening video for anyone that feels like they are doing everything right by eating "diet" this and "low fat" that, but cant seem to lose the weight. It also goes into great detail about the fact that skinny doesnt neccessarily mean healthy and fat doesnt neccessarily mean unheathy.

^^^ is why I don't drink it- also my doc said the same thing and I trust him
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Please Note

This thread has been closed by request of OP.

All the best,
    Adam, MyFitnessPal Moderator
This discussion has been closed.