Is it bad to drink soda every day?

Options

Replies

• Tabithas_Transformation
    Options
    If you want soda and it fits into your daily calorie goals and macros then you should have it! This is your diet and healthy lifestyle, it's your choice what you treat yourself with.

Personally, I love diet coke but I know that I feel ravenously hungry after drinking it with a meal. I struggle with moderation so this can be detrimental to me when I'm trying to stick with my goals. As such, I only have diet coke every now and again and will budget some extra calories later on to allow for the hunger.

You can make it work for you :smiley:
  • heartpie
    heartpie Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It’s not uncommon for people trying to reduce their sugar consumption to make the switch from regular to diet soda. It’s a small step that may make cutting out sugar just a little easier for you to achieve. And on the surface, it makes plenty of sense: diet soda has no sugar or calories. According to Dr. Victor Marchione, the reality is that diet soda can actually have a worse effect on your health than the sugary stuff. http://www.doctorshealthpress.com/weight-loss/diet-soda-bad-for-your-health
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Yes!! Eventually, it will turn into addiction. You can treat yourself not just through eating/drinking food. You can get a massage, buy a book, watch a movie, buy a new gym clothes or something else. Things that are kinda healthy 'reward' and worth having.
  • cattitude123
    cattitude123 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    zevia soda is good; it does have a bit of the ":aftertaste" of super-sweetened drinks; the only danger with the Stevia-sweetened is that caramel color(cancer risk!).
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have a can of diet soda at dinner every night, and a bottle on Sunday mornings as I have to be up for work at 2 AM. I don't drink coffee/tea, so this is my one vice, and I've never had any issues with cravings (I do have dessert every night, but I did that drinking regular soda too) or side effects from artificial sweeteners. If it works for you, continue to do it.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    1) Is there anything nutritionally beneficial in diet soda? No..
    2) Is there the possibility that you might ever want to consume something simply because you LIKE IT whether or not it helps you hit your macros in terms of nutrients? Yes...
    3) Is the consumption of diet cola regularly going to CAUSE a health issue? Maybe...possibly..jury is still out...when it's confirmed enough that there is a WARNING a la tobacco products on it, I'll be prepared to say "Yes" but only then...

TLDR: It won't add anything to your nutrients but if you like your diet cola, have it. You can still lose weight while doing it...and I'm far from convinced you can't be healthy if you don't "eat clean" :p
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If you need to cut calories and you are drinking regular soda, an easy way to do it is by cutting down or even out the soda. If you have a can here and there as a treat (like the OP is) and it fits in with your calories and macros, go for it and enjoy!

I don't drink a lot of soda, mostly because I don't like dealing with the constant hauling of cases or 12 packs up the steps and the empties down the steps. I usually drink plain fizzy water from my SodaStream and occasionally will make a liter of diet soda from their syrups.
  • squirrlt
    squirrlt Posts: 106 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Calories aside, I loved soda (but we call it pop here, I'm cringing at "soda" lol). However, after I learned from a can manufacturing plant that they have to coat the inside of the cans with a special material to prevent the acids in the soda from EATING THROUGH THE METAL, I have no trouble avoiding it now. I can't take a sip anymore without thinking that I'm bathing my teeth in that acid. Doesn't matter if it's diet or not.
  • parknry
    parknry Posts: 5
    Options
    I lost a 90# and am addicted to diet Pepsi. Weight watchers used to say if its caffeine free and no sugar DRINK IT. I usually buy a case of diet Pepsi and a case of caffeine free diet Pepsi I do drink water but can't drink it without the flavor packs
  • parknry
    parknry Posts: 5
    Options
    1) Is there anything nutritionally beneficial in diet soda? No..
    2) Is there the possibility that you might ever want to consume something simply because you LIKE IT whether or not it helps you hit your macros in terms of nutrients? Yes...
    3) Is the consumption of diet cola regularly going to CAUSE a health issue? Maybe...possibly..jury is still out...when it's confirmed enough that there is a WARNING a la tobacco products on it, I'll be prepared to say "Yes" but only then...

TLDR: It won't add anything to your nutrients but if you like your diet cola, have it. You can still lose weight while doing it...and I'm far from convinced you can't be healthy if you don't "eat clean" :p

****totally agree
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    The level of ignorance in this topic is astounding.

Sweeteners do not make you fat. There are a few papers, and one review paper in particular, that make causation/correlation errors, ignore confounding variables, and present faulty conclusions as a result. The bad science in these papers make them quite fascinating as a study on how to draw erroneous conclusions, but that's all they're good for.

There are also rat studies and gut flora studies pulled out by silly people who don't consider volume and time of exposure, as well as confounding variables, which are used to draw idiotic conclusions.

So let's be blunt here: Diet soda in a standard can serving has less than 3 calories usually. It will not make you fat. In addition, sweeteners like aspartame are some of the most studied chemicals on earth. In moderation they have no impact on health.

People should stop believing everything they see on You Tube of every misrepresented study presented by health columnists and quacks.

+1

I drink a can of Sprite Zero or Diet Coke every day. I don't see any reason to give it up.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    squirrlt wrote: »
    Calories aside, I loved soda (but we call it pop here, I'm cringing at "soda" lol). However, after I learned from a can manufacturing plant that they have to coat the inside of the cans with a special material to prevent the acids in the soda from EATING THROUGH THE METAL, I have no trouble avoiding it now. I can't take a sip anymore without thinking that I'm bathing my teeth in that acid. Doesn't matter if it's diet or not.

That is a valid thing to think about. Good oral care can take care of it for those who like their soda.

• squirrlt
    squirrlt Posts: 106 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

That is a valid thing to think about. Good oral care can take care of it for those who like their soda.

For sure. Good oral care can mitigate much of the effects. In my case, I used that powerful mental image to help me quit something that wasn't good for me anyway. It made it effortless. I used to always order a coke at a restaurant. Now always get water, without temptation or hesitation. BOOM automatic calorie reduction :) I don't miss the pop one bit.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options
    No worse than orange juice.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

For sure. Good oral care can mitigate much of the effects. In my case, I used that powerful mental image to help me quit something that wasn't good for me anyway. It made it effortless. I used to always order a coke at a restaurant. Now always get water, without temptation or hesitation. BOOM automatic calorie reduction :) I don't miss the pop one bit.

Yup, all of life is a trade off and each person has to decide for themselves what is important enough to trade something else for. For you and me, we chose to trade sodas for water for completely different reasons (you the teeth, me the hauling of full and empty cans or bottles).

• earlnabby
    Options
    No worse than orange juice.

Actually, OJ can be worse than soda (depending on a person's goals and macros). High acidity and lots of sugar without the mitigating fiber you get in the actual fruit. It gives me heartburn.

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    xstephnz wrote: »
    I've started drinking one can of soda (pepsi max/diet coke etc), once a day, as a treat, since most foods are off limit.

Sometimes it's hard to stop at once.

And also you mostly hear about people trying to QUIT soda, out of health reasons.

Is it ok to have this one vice, or should I avoid it completely?

I'm confused, why are most foods off limits?

Rigger

• kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I still drink a soda on occasion but try not to. I know an ultrarunner who will only drink water and unsweetened iced tea due to his training diet. I still think about how you can use coke to clean car battery terminals and wonder what that does in my body.
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Do the math. One can of regular soda contributes about 15 pounds to your weight over the course of a year. Diet soda is not a reasonable alternative: research has shown that people who drink diet soda regularly still have higher rates of type 2 diabetes, hypertension and obesity. Bottom line: all soda on a regular basis is not good for us.

And here I thought I was good at math....my brain hurts...

• jt880
    jt880 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Can you post a link with scientific data stating that aspartame is good for you? Why not just use stevia drops and a home carbonator? Thats what i do my soda has 0 calories.
This discussion has been closed.