Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You're 25 years old.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    How about...

Throw the word "treat" out of the window.

Don't associate food with emotional or otherwise valued terms. Food is food is food. Associate food with the numbers of calories and macronutrients it contains and fit those numbers in to your daily goal numbers.

Eat what you want, using a modicum of user intelligence to create a happy and sustainable dietary intake that will firstly promote weight loss and then maintenance, that you can adhere to for the rest of your living days.

Discover self control. I assume you are an adult without any sort of mental faculty issues, realize you put the food in your mouth, you have the choice as to what goes in there.

Track your dietary intake. Eat at a calorie deficit. Move more.

If you (or you mother) wish to send me 9.99 a month whilst using the above, feel free.

Yes, this^^

OP, you can have fast food 3-4 times a week (contrary to what some clean-eating zealots will have you believe) and fit it into your macro and calorie goals and be fine.

You shouldn't be ashamed of what you eat - food is food, and all food contains energy and nutrients (carbs/fats/protein) that your body needs and utilizes. It doesn't matter if the food comes from McDonald's or from the farmer's market.

When I first started, I made my diary private and logged everything that I ate as best I could, until it got easier for me to figure out exactly what I was doing. Getting started is the hardest part, along with learning to be honest with yourself and not worrying about what everyone else thinks about what you eat.

If you can stop attaching guilt (or any emotion) to food and stay in a calorie deficit, that is a great start, no matter what you're eating. Making the choice to become accountable and to eat less is a great start. Learn to make better choices and worry about your macros as time goes on, but start by logging and eating within a calorie deficit.

My diary is open. I'm not perfect, but I've lost 7 lbs in the past month and a half and I'm losing pretty steadily.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You're 25 years old.

Also this. If your mom pulls the plug on the gym, find a way to pay for it yourself or exercise at home until you can pay for a gym membership.

You don't even have to exercise to lose weight - all you need is a calorie deficit. Although exercise will improve your health.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I am out...
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    xstephnz wrote: »
    How can I get my mum off my back for occasionally having treats? I wanted a caramel sundae from McDonalds the other day (and I had earnt it), but she said it was a waste of a workout and not to.

Sometimes I feel like having a piece or two of pizza (this coming from the girl who used to eat two whole pizzas by herself, plus sides, in one sitting), or a burger or something and I feel like the answer will always be no.

I have an all or nothing kind of personality, and find it hard to balance the good and the naughty. Having someone around that freaks out when I don't eat perfectly 100% of the time isn't helping.

What should I do? I'm kind of scared of her. She is paying for me to go to the gym, and I'm scared she will pull the plug if I don't do things her way.

My response to 'what should you do?' depends on a few things.

If you live on your own, then just eat the sundae when she isn't around. You have to do what works for you, and as long as you are still making progress towards your weight loss goals then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Actually, even if you aren't making progress towards your weight loss goals, well it's your life and you won't be able to lose weight until YOU are ready anyway.

BUT that being said, when you accept money from parents, or have them pay for things for you, then there are always strings (there's a reason I moved out at 17). So your mom is paying for your membership, and if you are eating a sundae in front of her (or asking her to pay for it, or to drive you there so you can buy it) then you are basically 'wasting' her money. When someone pays for something for you, it should be done freely without expectations, but my experience is that those types of things are never given freely. So if you are accepting the membership, you are accepting the strings that go with it. Don't like the strings, then don't accept the 'gift'.

If you are an 'all or nothing' personality, then it might benefit you to take a break from all junk food while you learn what your triggers are, and how to interpret your body's cravings. For me, this took 4-5 weeks. Maybe you've already done this, I don't know.

And if you are scared that she will pull the gym membership, then you better play to her tune. Especially if you are still living at home. If you are living on your own, and she pulls the membership, then you'll figure something else out if you are ready and committed to losing the weight. Living on your on, and living your life your way will also help with "getting your mom off your back"
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My family and friends stopped giving me crap and "the eye" when I was keeping the weight I had lost off for awhile. Down 40 pounds in the last 2.5 years and no one thinks anything about me eating a 10" pizza and a bottle of wine on a Friday night. I do that once, maybe twice a month. But about once a week I will indulge a little, whether it's just taking a night off from logging or ordering in sandwiches with my family. Mmmm cheeseburger sub. (Side note I send an absurd amount of time in the gym...)

Anyways, I don't plan on never eating the "crap" food again. I've noticed my cravings and the amount of it I eat are naturally decreasing over time. It really is a progressive lifestyle change, and I fully contribute that to keeping the weight I've lost off.

Next time ask your mom why she didn't interfere with you putting on all that weight and politely ask her to stop micromanaging ;)
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    You probably won't like this but based on your empty diary, the other thread you started about not having enough calories, and this thread;

I think you should grow up, pay your own way, log your meals, stop making excuses, and take responsibility for yourself.

No matter how many "friends" one has, we are all in this alone. We arise every day and make decisions that affect the rest of our life. No one can do this for you nor validate your choices. Your body and your health is the result of your choices past and present.

Want different results? Change your behavior.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Calories in calories out. Work it into your WEEKLY (not daily) allotment, and then show her your diary, so that she sees that it works. Also - you could have the treats not in front of her ;)
  • mbam89
    mbam89 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    For me, it's more important to be healthier long term. That means that whatever changes I make, I have to be able to live with. So, moderation is key! There is no way I'm not eating ice cream or pizza for the rest of my life, so I have to figure out how I can work that into my everyday life.
  • DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I never saw if she logged everything and stayed within her calorie allot. ??? Just asking.
  • DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Just looked at her Diary.....I have NOTHING else to say.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I believe you should treat yourself 1 to 2 times a week at the weekend. The difference is changing the types of treats you have for example you mention craving a caramel sundae from Mcdonalds.. to me this is a waste of calories as it has absolutley no nutritional value, I would advise googling healthy treat options and start incorporating them in to your life, at first you will crave whar you know but eventually your palet will get used to these treats and your body and will thank you for treating it with respect and giving it what it needs.

My main healthy treats I snack on on weekends are Protien pancakes with strawberries and natural yoghart or peanut butter and banana. I also love dark warm almond milk with a handful or cashew nuts and dark choclate. Fruit salads with granola yoghart and honey is amazing if your craving sweet.

Google has thousands of easy recipes which if you choose can improve your health and life.

In what world are protein pancakes, yogurt, peanut butter, nuts, dark chocolate and bananas considered a "treat. How about a completely delicious and awesome part of a well-balanced diet. I pretty much eat dark chocolate every day. Yogurt most days. Peanut butter..well, everyone here knows about my love for peanut butter....many days.

Sad post is sad.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    How can I get my mum off my back for occasionally having treats? I wanted a caramel sundae from McDonalds the other day (and I had earnt it), but she said it was a waste of a workout and not to.

Sometimes I feel like having a piece or two of pizza (this coming from the girl who used to eat two whole pizzas by herself, plus sides, in one sitting), or a burger or something and I feel like the answer will always be no.

I have an all or nothing kind of personality, and find it hard to balance the good and the naughty. Having someone around that freaks out when I don't eat perfectly 100% of the time isn't helping.

What should I do? I'm kind of scared of her. She is paying for me to go to the gym, and I'm scared she will pull the plug if I don't do things her way.

Do you want to lose weight ?
    Why are you asking her what you can eat or telling her what you are eating? Is she buying the food for you? Log everything and show her that the item fits your calories and that you are eating plenty of nutritious food. She can still say no to spending HER money on something and you will have to live with it. She can't tell you how to spend your own money though and you can tell her it is not her business.
    You don't actually need a gym to exercise so don't be scared of that. If she stops paying for it you can still walk, run, dance, do workout videos.
    Get a job and use your own money for food or gym memberships.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I never expected people to understand what I was doing. I just let the results speak for themselves. If she isn't in a position to control your choices, then don't let her tell you what to do.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Lurking probably would have been a better option lol. My bad.
    It's usually a pretty good idea to lurk anywhere before posting just to get the "feel" of the website, kinda learn any unofficial rules.

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I don't see this as a treat issue. I see it as a food issue. You are afraid of being realistic with yourself about what you eat. If you start logging regularly, you will know whether you have room to eat the foods your mom is commenting on and you can answer her honestly. If you are worried about others seeing your diary, make it private but since you are new to this, getting a realistic picture of the calories you are taking every day is the first step. With a private diary, you are making yourself accountable to only you. You are here on MFP and worried that you won't be able to continue going to the gym so getting healthier is important to you. You are putting yourself out there in a public forum and making yourself vulnerable already so you are stronger than you think. Take the next step and start be accountable by logging your food.
  • transparentenigma
    transparentenigma Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with treating yourself once or twice a week, heck even once or twice a day. Weight loss happens by calories expended being more than calorie intake.

I have a cheat day, actually now that I am thinking about it I need to move that to a cheat meal, this is where I eat what I want, how much I want, dang the calories. Now some may say that this sets back the progress I made in the week, I say it keeps me going for another week, so if I lose 2 pounds instead of 3 pounds a week because I "treat" myself I don't consider it a loss, especially since I am still losing weight after 4 weeks and I plan to keep at it and not stop because I am denying myself.

As for the parental interference, all I can say is what the other poster said, "DON'T DO IT IN FRONT OF HER"

And to the rest of the MFP'ers who are giving her a had time, STOP, going from eating a whole pizza down to just 2 slices shows commitment and a good change in eating habits. Even if she never logs, if she continues to exercise and eat less than she normally would have, SHE WILL LOSE THE WEIGHT. Maybe not as quickly if she logged and followed some guideless BUT SHE WILL LOSE THE WEIGHT.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    How much weight have you lost since your mom got you the membership?

I suspect that's the question Mom is asking, too.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options

OP - no judgment here, but saying you had "earnt it" (the sundae) is the type of thinking that brings many of us to MFP. Rewarding ourselves with special food for working out (or for whatever) is a road that will likely lead to a lifelong weight problem. Eat the sundae if you want, but think about finding other non-food rewards like a new outfit or mani/pedi.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I wanted a caramel sundae from McDonalds the other day (and I had earnt it)...

How did you earn it?