I want to start lifting but...

Options
I want to lose some weight and shape my body better cause its kinda chubby,
I'm eating on a deficit and I thought on starting to lift but I just don't know what should I do, since I go alone to te gym im pretty insecure on lifting cause I just don't know where to start?

Replies

• andwing7
    andwing7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness has free classes....
  • transparentenigma
    transparentenigma Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Does the gym not have any attendants? There should be someone there that can show you the correct way to use the equipment. I would use the machines since with free weights you have to worry about proper form due to the fact that you could end up exercising the wrong muscle because of how you execute a move compared to if you were one a machine that is specific to the muscle group you want to exercise.

After that just break your body into zones/parts. For example, when I attended the gym, I broke my body into different zones that I exercised on different days mixed with cardio.

For example, one day would be arms, I would only hit the machines that dealt with arms. The next day was shoulder and chest, the next day abs, the next day glutes and back, lastly legs. So I would do Cardio 5X a week, then Strength training 5X a week only exercising the major muscle group once a week.

Or you could do the Upper/Lower Body zones, this is exercising only upper body, then lower body, then rest, then repeat.
  • MiltonAFC
    MiltonAFC Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of beginner programs on bodybuilding.com. Don't worry man, when I started I was very overweight and was insecure about lifting as well. I thought that was only for the fit guys.

I was terribly wrong. I workout alone as well and I go in and do my work. Go in with a plan printed or on your phone. Ignore what others are doing, everyone has their own story. Don't worry that someone else is lifting less or more than you.

It's going to be the best decision you'll make in the gym.

Best of luck.
  • enemyger
    enemyger Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Does the gym not have any attendants? There should be someone there that can show you the correct way to use the equipment. I would use the machines since with free weights you have to worry about proper form due to the fact that you could end up exercising the wrong muscle because of how you execute a move compared to if you were one a machine that is specific to the muscle group you want to exercise.

After that just break your body into zones/parts. For example, when I attended the gym, I broke my body into different zones that I exercised on different days mixed with cardio.

For example, one day would be arms, I would only hit the machines that dealt with arms. The next day was shoulder and chest, the next day abs, the next day glutes and back, lastly legs. So I would do Cardio 5X a week, then Strength training 5X a week only exercising the major muscle group once a week.

Or you could do the Upper/Lower Body zones, this is exercising only upper body, then lower body, then rest, then repeat.

I might do the muscle group a day thing
    I did it b4 but i didn't know if it was the right thing for weight loss...
  • enemyger
    Options
    There are plenty of beginner programs on bodybuilding.com. Don't worry man, when I started I was very overweight and was insecure about lifting as well. I thought that was only for the fit guys.

I was terribly wrong. I workout alone as well and I go in and do my work. Go in with a plan printed or on your phone. Ignore what others are doing, everyone has their own story. Don't worry that someone else is lifting less or more than you.

It's going to be the best decision you'll make in the gym.

Best of luck.
    You're right,
    Thanks for the advice bro.
    I also prefer to work out alone, gym bros brag the whole time while working out, its so annoying like *kitten* I dont give a *kitten*...

Now the only thing i need to do is to stop saying I'll start tomorrow ahah
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    andwing7 wrote: »

Are you serious?

OP look up stronglifts 5x5 it's a good beginner program I did it for over a year (and no it's not just for women) and had great progress.

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Try a program. I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5 myself, but there are a few out there. There's a bunch of instructions and videos on proper form on the website, too.
  • mskinner1091
    mskinner1091 Posts: 180 Member
    Options

This ^^^^ I'm a member of PF & love it.

• enemyger
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Are you serious?

OP look up stronglifts 5x5 it's a good beginner program I did it for over a year (and no it's not just for women) and had great progress.

I did check it tho
    It was with dumb bells and *kitten* and I was like *kitten* no, I'd rather do the machines, its more simple for me I think
  • shawnfxp
    shawnfxp Posts: 39 Member
    Options

That's what I was just about to suggest. Been doing it for a few months and have been pleased thus far. If you're eating at a deficit, you won't be packing on pounds of muscle, but it'll definitely be toning up what you've got and making it more efficient.
  • LazyRunner_2212
    LazyRunner_2212 Posts: 299 Member
    Options

Are you serious?

^^this
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Since you're a beginner, it's much more efficient (and safer) to find an established program and run that rather than making up your own program. Stronglifts is a good beginner program, as are Starting Strength and any of the New Rules of Lifting programs. If you don't know anything about program design, you're not going to come up with a balanced program. At best, you'll end up spinning your wheels and not progressing; at worst, you'll end up developing muscle imbalances and hurt yourself in the long run.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    enemyger wrote: »

Are you serious?

I did check it tho
    It was with dumb bells and *kitten* and I was like *kitten* no, I'd rather do the machines, its more simple for me I think
    Stronglifts does not use dumb bells at all...all barbell compound movements...machines never use them...the barbell allows for more muscle use such as core.

I don't have to do anything but my compound lifts now.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Are you serious?

I did check it tho

While machines may seem simpler, they're less efficient at burning calories and making you stronger. Besides, I doubt you have a solid plan for which machines to do and why. Stronglifts provides a great plan and only requires learning five barbell movements.

I do New Rule of Lifting: Supercharged, which is also a great program, but it requires more time/effort to get started. For you, I'd recommend stronglifts.
  • enemyger
    Options
    Are you serious?

I did check it tho

While machines may seem simpler, they're less efficient at burning calories and making you stronger. Besides, I doubt you have a solid plan for which machines to do and why. Stronglifts provides a great plan and only requires learning five barbell movements.

I do New Rule of Lifting: Supercharged, which is also a great program, but it requires time/effort to setup. For you, I'd recommend stronglifts.

Well since everyone is suggesting it, I'll go with 5x5 sl.
  • mikepink1955
    mikepink1955 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wow! A lot of advice in such a short period of time. And all good stuff, too. Just start out easy. Stay with it and find what works for you. Whether it's free weights, machines or carrying your lady into the house. Exercise is exercise. I'm close to being 60. Cardiac problems finally set in. Got them fixed. Back to rebuilding me. Part of what you should consider is how much time do you have to budget to your fitness program. That is important. I speed walk and climb stairs at work. I get home and strength train for a hour afterwards. This works for me. Some will only do it on the weekends. I like mine free, although I'll hit the treadmill at home at least once over the weekend. And don't worry about the people at the gym. They all started someplace, like you and me.
  • amanda_zavala
    Options
    I never thought that I would be "that" Crossfit person, but I started 3 months ago and have seen some amazing changes in my overall fitness level. With crossfit, you are never alone to figure it out, they incorporate weightlifting and cardio. Just a suggestion. Just because you may not be able to do all the moves at first, doesn't mean you can't get a great workout. The coaches are great about showing you how to scale either weights or movements until you are able to do the prescribed workout.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    machines limit your range of motion as well, dumbells and barbells are much better. If you dont feel comfortable at the gym look on craigslist or somewhere like that, you might be able to buy some barbells,weights and so on. I got most of my equipment for next to nothing. There are no gyms/fitness centers in my area.good luck on everything as well.
  • JulieAnneFIU
    JulieAnneFIU Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    And stronglifts has an iPhone app that will tell you what weights to use, will track your progress and has form videos. It's a solid program.
  • MiltonAFC
    MiltonAFC Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts and Allpro are great beginner programs.

The only "machines" I like to use are the hammer strength ones. They're the ones you load plates on to.