Replies

• aliciamarieUF
    aliciamarieUF Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    enemyger wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Are you serious?

OP look up stronglifts 5x5 it's a good beginner program I did it for over a year (and no it's not just for women) and had great progress.

I did check it tho
    It was with dumb bells and *kitten* and I was like *kitten* no, I'd rather do the machines, its more simple for me I think

While machines may seem simpler, they're less efficient at burning calories and making you stronger. Besides, I doubt you have a solid plan for which machines to do and why. Stronglifts provides a great plan and only requires learning five barbell movements.

I do New Rule of Lifting: Supercharged, which is also a great program, but it requires time/effort to setup. For you, I'd recommend stronglifts.

Well since everyone is suggesting it, I'll go with 5x5 sl.

Someone suggested 5x5 to me a week ago because I don't have much to lose (last 15 pounds). I didn't know what the heck I was doing either but you can download the app on your phone which will walk you through your workouts and if you go online, Mehdi has videos on the website showing you how to do each exercise. Along with restricting my calories, I was able to lose 1.5 pounds last week. Definitely a great, EASY program.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts! I know you said you'll try it, I just want to throw out another vote :)
  • enemyger
    enemyger Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all
    I will start with 5x5st and will see what happens.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I'd also tell you to do StrongLifts 5x5 and skip the machines.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    Let us know how it goes with SL 5x5!
  • RoToQ
    RoToQ Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 ftw
  • Marie047
    Marie047 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I agree stronglifts I do this programme at the minute and really enjoy it, machines are too restrictive and don't use the full muscle group.
  • dimasj
    dimasj Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm also new to lifting and although I have not followed the SL 5X5 YET, I wanted to tell you that I used the machines for the past 2 months and although I felt more comfortable in my gym surrounding I wasn't getting anywhere, that I could notice, in the muscle department.
    2 weeks ago I left the machines and started doing free weights and OMG the stabilizer muscles that you don't work on the machines fully come to life. I have already started to notice some definition in my legs.
    Based on the info here I will look into the SL 5X5 too as I am currently using dumbbells not barbells so this may be a new challenge for me too.

Come back and let us know how it works for you...........
  • enemyger
    Options
    Thanks everyone

I will def. come back and share my experience.
  • Mikey_Irish
    Mikey_Irish Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I do the Circuit at Planet Fitness and its working like a champ. 10 machines and 10 aerobic stations between. The circuit keeps time for you with red and green lights. Red means Stop and Green means Go. Beautiful thing is combining the circuit with aerobic activity on the treadmill and elliptical, I have still been able to drop weight while keeping lean and healthy muscle mass.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    what the heck is going on in here?

OP, you are a 21 year old male. Get to a real gym and do strong lifts 5x5. You saw the youtube videos? You don't need machines, they have their place. Not for a healthy male just starting out.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    andwing7 wrote: »
    Planet Fitness has free classes....

:noway:
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    kjm3579 wrote: »
    I'd also tell you to do StrongLifts 5x5 and skip the machines.

Ditto
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    No "but"s! GET LIFTING! Your goal of shaping your body will definitely be achieved by lifting. I recommend taking a look at the Stronglifts 5x5 program to get you started. It's great for beginners -- very straight forward, and easy to follow. Make sure you perfect form before adding heavy weights. Best of luck :)
  • enemyger
    Options

OP, you are a 21 year old male. Get to a real gym and do strong lifts 5x5. You saw the youtube videos? You don't need machines, they have their place. Not for a healthy male just starting out.

I am at a real gym and I'm going to start 5x5...
  • enemyger
    Options

I am at a real gym and I'm going to start 5x5...

Liar
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Is PF 24hrs? I used to be a member but moved away. We never used the gym, and I couldn't get to that part of town to cancel in person, and I didn't have the time to go to a post office to send a certified cancellation letter, as I was soooo pregnant, very fatigued, and worked crazy hours. So my card got compromised and I got a completely new one, and I think it very well could still be declining. I wonder how much in the hole I am with them after a few years, or if they canceled me?
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I want to lose some weight and shape my body better cause its kinda chubby,
    I'm eating on a deficit and I thought on starting to lift but I just don't know what should I do, since I go alone to te gym im pretty insecure on lifting cause I just don't know where to start?

Just about all the gyms offer free group fitness classes. If yours doesn't then find a new gym. Insanity, body pump, or P90X is a great place to start. The movements and forms they show you in the classes will help you know what to do when your flying solo
  • enemyger
    Options
    This thread is months old

I just posted "liar" cause i never started 5x5sl