• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Man this gets old. Low carb diets TEND (but not necessarily WILL) to put people in a deficit. Its just a smaller deficit with more satisfaction and less hunger. Its still CICO, not sure why everyone argues about it. OP, seriously, if you truly want ideas and suggestions from people who have done it successfully, use the link and come find the low carb group. You are never going to win this argument. Ever.

the only one arguing it is not CICO is the OP ...

And the only ones that ever START the argument are the ones who don't eat low carb, and always when the OP has asked for advice from others following the same WOE. OP may not have articulated her point well, I can concede that. It doesn't negate the fact that non-low carbers jumped in to tell her how wrong she is when she specifically asked for low carb advice. I am not a heavy lifter, therefore I don't go into threads asking for advice on heavy lifting and start handing it out. I also don't go in there telling them that heavy lifting is all wrong and they should be doing, I don't know, yoga or something. Its the same concept. If you don't do low carb, why are you in a thread written by someone asking for low carb advice?

The arguments start when the non low carbers clarify why said low carb diet is working. Low carbers generally do not like to hear low carb works due to CICO...

The argument starts because people who don't eat low carb feel the need to give advice to those who do. I don't go into heavy lifting threads and demand someone tell me the exact science and terminology of lifting (please don't, I really don't care) and then argue that they have it all wrong. Why? I don't currently lift, I don't have much experience to speak about, and I haven't studied it. Therefore I leave it to those who do have experience and have studied it to hand out advice. It would be nice if the low carb WOE were given this same respect.

so you want to be able to post a bunch of pseudo science and bro science and have no one challenge it???? Yea, totally legit...
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I do a "lowered carb" diet, SO is more towards all Keto. Here's what I found.

1. Carbs make me sleepy and don't keep me full. With eating more protein I still full longer.

2. I still calorie count. It can be a pain though because a lot of Keto foods are calorie dense, or at least that is my experience. But, again I'm full longer so it seems to work out.

3. I'm not losing crazy amounts of weight like others say they are.... but after a very long stall, the weight is coming off again and I'm more pleased with a slow drop anyways.

4. Here's what I have cut out: most breads (though I'll have a roll or bread stick here and there. In fact I had a sandwich today for lunch), pasta, rice heavy meals (I love chipotle and when I get a bowl, I ask for a bit of rice, like half a scoop), cereal, cow milk (I'll drink it here and there as well, but like in my coffee. Not glasses of it anymore.), regular yogurt ( I love Greek yogurt and REFUSE to give it up). Stuff like that. I used to miss it but now, going on the third month of eating like that... it doesn't bug me as much. I do still like the sweets but I try to make Keto friendly sweets or I get a single serve something, eat it and enjoy and then its out of the house.

And I have a ton of recipes and whatnot if anyone would like some.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Man this gets old. Low carb diets TEND (but not necessarily WILL) to put people in a deficit. Its just a smaller deficit with more satisfaction and less hunger. Its still CICO, not sure why everyone argues about it. OP, seriously, if you truly want ideas and suggestions from people who have done it successfully, use the link and come find the low carb group. You are never going to win this argument. Ever.

And the only ones that ever START the argument are the ones who don't eat low carb, and always when the OP has asked for advice from others following the same WOE. OP may not have articulated her point well, I can concede that. It doesn't negate the fact that non-low carbers jumped in to tell her how wrong she is when she specifically asked for low carb advice. I am not a heavy lifter, therefore I don't go into threads asking for advice on heavy lifting and start handing it out. I also don't go in there telling them that heavy lifting is all wrong and they should be doing, I don't know, yoga or something. Its the same concept. If you don't do low carb, why are you in a thread written by someone asking for low carb advice?

The arguments start when the non low carbers clarify why said low carb diet is working. Low carbers generally do not like to hear low carb works due to CICO...

The argument starts because people who don't eat low carb feel the need to give advice to those who do. I don't go into heavy lifting threads and demand someone tell me the exact science and terminology of lifting (please don't, I really don't care) and then argue that they have it all wrong. Why? I don't currently lift, I don't have much experience to speak about, and I haven't studied it. Therefore I leave it to those who do have experience and have studied it to hand out advice. It would be nice if the low carb WOE were given this same respect.

I feel like I'm in church today. Another Amen.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

You are assuming that people who do not currently low carb never have before.

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

The only people arguing are the low carbers saying it is not CICO...

I thought she was saying what low carb is what works for her over straight calorie counting. I know I saw that in several of her posts, I may have missed the one where she said CICO doesn't work. And the low carbers rarely ever argue because most of the veterans are tired of beating their heads against a stone wall and the newbies get chased off. But by all means continue to argue away. I'm just saying it gets really old.

She has clearly stated several times that she wasn't losing weight while tracking and being in a "calorie restriction diet" but when she started eating low carb she actually increased her calories overall and started losing weight. And with all that she said she doesn't track her food but then that she does, then that she doesn't and finally that she doesn't because this site tracks it for her.

She also clearly stated she misunderstood the 500 calorie deficit to mean a 500 calorie diet, but that hasn't stopped anyone from dragging on about it.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

I thought she was saying what low carb is what works for her over straight calorie counting. I know I saw that in several of her posts, I may have missed the one where she said CICO doesn't work. And the low carbers rarely ever argue because most of the veterans are tired of beating their heads against a stone wall and the newbies get chased off. But by all means continue to argue away. I'm just saying it gets really old.

She has clearly stated several times that she wasn't losing weight while tracking and being in a "calorie restriction diet" but when she started eating low carb she actually increased her calories overall and started losing weight. And with all that she said she doesn't track her food but then that she does, then that she doesn't and finally that she doesn't because this site tracks it for her.

She also clearly stated she misunderstood the 500 calorie deficit to mean a 500 calorie diet, but that hasn't stopped anyone from dragging on about it.

great...so one wrong post out of about five corrected...

• Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options

so you want to be able to post a bunch of pseudo science and bro science and have no one challenge it???? Yea, totally legit...

That isn't what I said, nor was it my point. Perhaps you could actually answer what the OP was asking? She wanted ideas and recipes, do you have any that are low carb? If not, why are you here? Why did you even open the thread? Perhaps you were looking to start an argument? I've admitted she should have stayed out of the debate. I just don't understand the need for a debate at all.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Why is everyone so grumpy today???
  • Sugarbeat
    Options

I'm assuming nothing. Most of the ones I see on these threads are clearly not low carbers and have never been. Besides, she wasn't asking if she SHOULD do low carb. She stated that she IS doing low carb, it works for her, and she wanted to discuss it with others who are currently doing low carb.
  • ndj1979
    Options

That isn't what I said, nor was it my point. Perhaps you could actually answer what the OP was asking? She wanted ideas and recipes, do you have any that are low carb? If not, why are you here? Why did you even open the thread? Perhaps you were looking to start an argument? I've admitted she should have stayed out of the debate. I just don't understand the need for a debate at all.

no, I was not starting an argument. I was correcting her when she said that low/carb keto is better than any other method of calorie restriction.

I believe that is page one third or fourth post from OP....

it just snowballed from there with the "I don't calorie restrict" and then the "1200 calories of carbs I don't gain, but 1200 calories of low carb I lose"....

• Sugarbeat
    Options

See the difference there is that if you did decide to do that we can actually respond with the science of why and how it works. Why? Because the science is a fact. We know how the musculoskeletal system works. If you argue the points we make we can rebut with actual science. In these low carb threads the information given to back up some wild claims are usually from biased websites or blogs and not actual science to say they are right and we are wrong. If you're going to sit here and make claims like the OP asks that make no sense, we have the right to question it

Yes, and I've clearly stated several times now that she was wrong to argue. My point is this whole thing started AFTER non-low carbers jumped in to give advice she wasn't asking for. We are now several pages into this thread and those doing most of the debating have yet to offer her any ideas or recipes.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

I'm assuming nothing. Most of the ones I see on these threads are clearly not low carbers and have never been. Besides, she wasn't asking if she SHOULD do low carb. She stated that she IS doing low carb, it works for her, and she wanted to discuss it with others who are currently doing low carb.
    And in the process made some claims that had to be corrected/clarified.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I actually did try low carb about three years ago and I was a miserable SOB for about six months....then I would binge on a bunch of carbs and feel like *kitten*....

but if someone can do it and it works then great for them ..

just don't tell me it is not calorie restriction or a superior method...
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I actually did try low carb about three years ago and I was a miserable SOB for about six months....then I would binge on a bunch of carbs and feel like *kitten*....

but if someone can do it and it works then great for them ..

just don't tell me it is not calorie restriction or a superior method...

Same. I did something in the 90's called the Anabolic Diet. It was a 2-week induction phase on 30g carbs or less, then you did 5 days of 30g or less of carb and on the weekend you carbed up. Basically, a renamed Cyclic Ketogenic Diet. I named it the Hormonal Rollercoaster diet
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

See the difference there is that if you did decide to do that we can actually respond with the science of why and how it works. Why? Because the science is a fact. We know how the musculoskeletal system works. If you argue the points we make we can rebut with actual science. In these low carb threads the information given to back up some wild claims are usually from biased websites or blogs and not actual science to say they are right and we are wrong. If you're going to sit here and make claims like the OP asks that make no sense, we have the right to question it

Yes, and I've clearly stated several times now that she was wrong to argue. My point is this whole thing started AFTER non-low carbers jumped in to give advice she wasn't asking for. We are now several pages into this thread and those doing most of the debating have yet to offer her any ideas or recipes.

Her is the thing, we all have choices. The OP had the choice to start this thread and all members have a choice as to what they will comment. Neither you nor I have control over that. The OP could have chosen to ignore the people that criticized her but instead she chose to engage them while making some pretty outlandish claims.

At that point we get to a crossroad (and I will include myself in the group), we will combat those claims and debate the actual science of all this because that's what we do, it's our choice. The OP chose to rebut or science with more claims and saying we don't understand anything. Then it goes in circles. Everyone chose to engage. Then comes you, you chose to intervene and complain about what is going on in the thread even though we all chose to participate on our own. Instead of saying to yourself that it wasn't worth it you decided to defend the OP because you felt it was your duty. You chose to do that. But you didn't have to.

Now, here we are, at another crossroad, do you continue to engage or do you say to yourself that we aren't worth your effort? Either way the forum will continue and the battle between good and evil who rage on forever.

This is the best response on this whole thread. I tried to find a gif that expressed the awesomeness of this response, but I could not find one that was worthy [that is not blocked by my work's internet filter].
  • shreddedtrooper
    shreddedtrooper Posts: 107 Member
    Options

Her is the thing, we all have choices. The OP had the choice to start this thread and all members have a choice as to what they will comment. Neither you nor I have control over that. The OP could have chosen to ignore the people that criticized her but instead she chose to engage them while making some pretty outlandish claims.

At that point we get to a crossroad (and I will include myself in the group), we will combat those claims and debate the actual science of all this because that's what we do, it's our choice. The OP chose to rebut or science with more claims and saying we don't understand anything. Then it goes in circles. Everyone chose to engage. Then comes you, you chose to intervene and complain about what is going on in the thread even though we all chose to participate on our own. Instead of saying to yourself that it wasn't worth it you decided to defend the OP because you felt it was your duty. You chose to do that. But you didn't have to.

Now, here we are, at another crossroad, do you continue to engage or do you say to yourself that we aren't worth your effort? Either way the forum will continue and the battle between good and evil who rage on forever.

This is the best response on this whole thread. I tried to find a gif that expressed the awesomeness of this response, but I could not find one that was worthy [that is not blocked by my work's internet filter].

What if I told you Carbs after dark was possible? *Morpheus Meme

Long live the carbivores, long live carbs after dark. Long live Science and Spock

I choose the dark side, the Sith in me has to, you're Jedi Mind tricks won't work on me because I too choose to review all aspects of research..

but you asked for ideas or recipes?

Ideas: follow some of the great peer reviewed pages and do thorough readings, there was plenty of good quality data given here that should provide some form of clarification :) Best of luck OP